The Big 12 should...

4,980 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Iowaggie
(Removed:110240)
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
(This is obviously an implausible joke post during a crazy offseason, so don't take it too seriously.)

Go ahead and embrace mediocrity while simultaneously getting rid of a bully

Kick the horns out of the conference.
Kick the sooners out of the conference.

(Neither team will threaten legal action out of this as they will be happy to be free.)

Invite Colorado State (or Colorado if they want out of the PAC-12), invite BYU, and invite Arizona (has to be tired of losing in the PAC-12).

Embrace mediocrity by appropriately changing the name of the conference to the "Big 11 AM" conference.

Play an 11 game schedule with 10 conference games and a cream puff to avoid exposing your teams. At the end of the season select your top four teams and play 4 games (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, GM 1 winner vs GM 2 winner, and GM 1 loser vs GM 2 loser).

Finally, support teams with less than 6 wins by scheduling "Bowl Games" with other non-bowl eligible teams for 2 teams with the greatest average attendance to award fans and encourage fan support. This will also help these teams to have played a full season of 12 games.
West Point Aggie
AG
Your first seven words were spot on!!!

BayLOL would sue so fast!!!
Carlo4
AG
My Aggie wife was texting her friend, a Tech grad. She was looking to send her a gif about things being terrible, so I told her to use a dumpster fire. That was sent, and we had a good laugh.

Carlo4 said:

My Aggie wife was texting her friend, a Tech grad. She was looking to send her a gif about things being terrible, so I told her to use a dumpster fire. That was sent, and we had a good laugh.

"...you are a madman. When you stole that cow, and your friend tried to make it with the cow. I want to party with you, cowboy." - John Winger
"So long as an opinion is strongly rooted in the feelings, it gains rather than loses in stability by having a preponderating weight of argument against it."

- John Stuart Mill, 1869
ABATTBQ11
AG
The bdf should just die already
W
AG
in all seriousness...the BDF needs to excuse West Virginia from any conference-related sports for the 2020-21 academic year.

so all the schools can save on travel costs including WVU
West Point Aggie
AG
W said:

in all seriousness...the BDF needs to excuse West Virginia from any conference-related sports for the 2020-21 academic year.

so all the schools can save on travel costs including WVU

They are either in the conference or they are not...
e=mc2
AG
AggieDore said:

(This is obviously an implausible joke post during a crazy offseason, so don't take it too seriously.)

Go ahead and embrace mediocrity while simultaneously getting rid of a bully

Kick the horns out of the conference.
Kick the sooners out of the conference.

(Neither team will threaten legal action out of this as they will be happy to be free.)

Invite Colorado State (or Colorado if they want out of the PAC-12), invite BYU, and invite Arizona (has to be tired of losing in the PAC-12).

Embrace mediocrity by appropriately changing the name of the conference to the "Big 11 AM" conference.

Play an 11 game schedule with 10 conference games and a cream puff to avoid exposing your teams. At the end of the season select your top four teams and play 4 games (1 vs 4, 2 vs 3, GM 1 winner vs GM 2 winner, and GM 1 loser vs GM 2 loser).

Finally, support teams with less than 6 wins by scheduling "Bowl Games" with other non-bowl eligible teams for 2 teams with the greatest average attendance to award fans and encourage fan support. This will also help these teams to have played a full season of 12 games.
They could not even get to the level of mediocrity in football last year. What was their bowl record? How did OU do in the playoffs?
nortex97
AG
Mediocrity should be the bold face large print words on every and any B12 trophy handed out.
TPS_Report
AG
The Big 12 needs to extend their GOR by at least a decade.

I bleed Maroon and I wipe burnt orange!
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Your first seven words were spot on!!!

BayLOL would sue so fast!!!

You're probably right, but then Baylor would probably sue no matter what the circumstances.
AG
They are still considered a P5 conference, and sadly, I think they are better than the PAC-12. I also think they are mostly on par with the teams in the ACC not named Clemson.

I would say that puts them pretty close to mediocre (not the best but not the worst).
AG
TPS_Report said:

As this is honestly a more realistic scenario, I fully support this idea.

I'm just bored, and I think my idea would produce a more competitive conference (i.e. OU doesn't win it every year) and would offer some interesting wrinkles that should draw eyeballs.

It would also be fun to watch the sips struggle as an independent trying to convince their opponents to play on the LHN.
TPS_Report
AG
AggieDore said:

TPS_Report said:

I'm just bored, and I think my idea would produce a more competitive conference (i.e. OU doesn't win it every year) and would offer some interesting wrinkles that should draw eyeballs.

It would also be fun to watch the sips struggle as an independent trying to convince their opponents to play on the LHN.
Interesting. I submitted this as a highly unlikely scenario. I just don't see t.u. being willing to sacrifice its autonomy at the Big12 altar again. The expiration of the GOR coincides with the expiration of the LHN contract. They are not going to be able to replicate the LHN so they are going to have to find a replacement for that revenue. I highly doubt it will come from 3rd tier rights. That means it will have to come from the 1st and 2nd tiers. Which in turn means they will have to either join another conference or (far less likely) find a media partner that allows them to go indy ala Notre Dame.

Notre Dame doesn't have the national following it once had. t.u. doesn't have a national following at all. Independence is just too dicey. The industry saw the numbers the LHN generated so I can't imagine any takers.

t.u. will have to find a way to ditch most of the step kids without getting the receiving conference pummeled with tortuous interference suits. The expiration of the GOR may provide enough cover for them to bolt. They are going to have to keep it quiet though, and that has never been their strong suit.

They can really only go to the ACC, PAC, or B1G. SEC will get down-voted by the single-school state bloc. Also, their ego wouldn't allow them to be seen "following" A&M to the SEC. ACC and PAC would have to be able to renegotiate their TV deals upon addition of t.u. to generate the necessary revenue. The B1G would have to allow OU in and OU would have to be able to separate from oSu.

Of all of these, I see the PAC as the most likely. They still have hard feelings about the way things cratered in 2010, but their revenue isn't keeping up with the other conferences. Adding 4 BDF teams and renegotiating to make the numbers work seems most plausible. Regardless, the spring and summer of 2025 will likely be a very interesting time in regard to realignment.

AG
TPS_Report said:

AggieDore said:

TPS_Report said:

Interesting. I submitted this as a highly unlikely scenario. I just don't see t.u. being willing to sacrifice its autonomy at the Big12 altar again. The expiration of the GOR coincides with the expiration of the LHN contract. They are not going to be able to replicate the LHN so they are going to have to find a replacement for that revenue. I highly doubt it will come from 3rd tier rights. That means it will have to come from the 1st and 2nd tiers. Which in turn means they will have to either join another conference or (far less likely) find a media partner that allows them to go indy ala Notre Dame.

Notre Dame doesn't have the national following it once had. t.u. doesn't have a national following at all. Independence is just too dicey. The industry saw the numbers the LHN generated so I can't imagine any takers.

t.u. will have to find a way to ditch most of the step kids without getting the receiving conference pummeled with tortuous interference suits. The expiration of the GOR may provide enough cover for them to bolt. They are going to have to keep it quiet though, and that has never been their strong suit.

They can really only go to the ACC, PAC, or B1G. SEC will get down-voted by the single-school state bloc. Also, their ego wouldn't allow them to be seen "following" A&M to the SEC. ACC and PAC would have to be able to renegotiate their TV deals upon addition of t.u. to generate the necessary revenue. The B1G would have to allow OU in and OU would have to be able to separate from oSu.

Of all of these, I see the PAC as the most likely. They still have hard feelings about the way things cratered in 2010, but their revenue isn't keeping up with the other conferences. Adding 4 BDF teams and renegotiating to make the numbers work seems most plausible. Regardless, the spring and summer of 2025 will likely be a very interesting time in regard to realignment.

The LHN was a 20 year deal that started in 2011, so I am pretty sure it expires in 2031.

The GOR expires in 2025 according to a quick google search.

Assuming ESPN doesn't let them out of their contract, I don't think anything has changed to the point where another conference would welcome them in with the LHN intact.

Renewing the GOR in that scenario would be the only option.
TPS_Report
AG
AggieDore said:

TPS_Report said:

AggieDore said:

TPS_Report said:

The LHN was a 20 year deal that started in 2011, so I am pretty sure it expires in 2031.

The GOR expires in 2025 according to a quick google search.

Assuming ESPN doesn't let them out of their contract, I don't think anything has changed to the point where another conference would welcome them in with the LHN intact.

Renewing the GOR in that scenario would be the only option.
My bad. I thought the contract was $20 mil per for 15 years but it's $15 mil per for 20 years. Looks like all my wordifying was for naught.

AG
If ESPN lets them out the LHN at the end of the GOR (which is possible given how much money they are losing), then it becomes which conference is willing to take the horns given that they will be forced to take at least Tech with them? Not to mention the threats of lawsuits that Baylor and TCU will throw out there. Heck, those schools might even have enough political power at that point to block texas from leaving without them.

Maybe the PAC-12 has fallen on such hard times they are willing to drop their academic standards to admit a school like Tech to get the horns, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There has been precedent for the Big 10 accepting a non-AAU school when Nebraska was allowed in, but I don't think they would make the exception for Tech even if it means getting texas. The Big 10 is another academic driven conference like the PAC-12.

The SEC would not admit texas with A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia all voting "No".

The ACC would really be the only realistic landing spot in this scenario. With the conference already at 14 teams, I'm not sure whether they would want 3-4 teams from texas. It would definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds.
AG
No problem!
cityagboy
AG
TPS_Report
AG
AggieDore said:

If ESPN lets them out the LHN at the end of the GOR (which is possible given how much money they are losing), then it becomes which conference is willing to take the horns given that they will be forced to take at least Tech with them? Not to mention the threats of lawsuits that Baylor and TCU will throw out there. Heck, those schools might even have enough political power at that point to block texas from leaving without them.

Maybe the PAC-12 has fallen on such hard times they are willing to drop their academic standards to admit a school like Tech to get the horns, but I wouldn't bet on it.

There has been precedent for the Big 10 accepting a non-AAU school when Nebraska was allowed in, but I don't think they would make the exception for Tech even if it means getting texas. The Big 10 is another academic driven conference like the PAC-12.

The SEC would not admit texas with A&M, Arkansas, Missouri, Florida, South Carolina, and Georgia all voting "No".

The ACC would really be the only realistic landing spot in this scenario. With the conference already at 14 teams, I'm not sure whether they would want 3-4 teams from texas. It would definitely be interesting to see how this unfolds.
The PAC already has ASU, WSU, and Utah, none of which are known for academic rigor, and they were willing to take tceh in 2010. The PAC did not partner with a media conglomerate so they own their network outright. It's possible they could work a deal with t.u. and ESPN to turn the LHN into the PAC 16 East network. I imagine ESPN would jump at any chance to unload that money sink. I think the PAC is the only conference that might be willing to take t.u., tceh, OK, and oSu.

The ACC has 15 schools thanks to the Notre Dame quasi membership. I suppose t.u. could go there but they wouldn't be able to bring any of the step kids. If t.u. were to go to the ACC alone, tceh would be well advised to consider joining the PAC. Wouldn't that be ripe!

West Point Aggie
AG
If the sips and thieves leave the bdf and take tech and the pokes with them, I look forward to the s*** fit bayLOL and purple bayLOL would throw!!!

It will be highly satisfying to watch
AG
TPS_Report said:

The PAC already has ASU, WSU, and Utah, none of which are known for academic rigor, and they were willing to take tceh in 2010. The PAC did not partner with a media conglomerate so they own their network outright. It's possible they could work a deal with t.u. and ESPN to turn the LHN into the PAC 16 East network. I imagine ESPN would jump at any chance to unload that money sink. I think the PAC is the only conference that might be willing to take t.u., tceh, OK, and oSu.

The ACC has 15 schools thanks to the Notre Dame quasi membership. I suppose t.u. could go there but they wouldn't be able to bring any of the step kids. If t.u. were to go to the ACC alone, tceh would be well advised to consider joining the PAC. Wouldn't that be ripe!

Arizona State has been a member institution since 1978.
Washington State has been a member institution since 1917.

While neither is a member of the prestigious AAU, both are Tier 1 Research Institutes and are long time members of the conference. The PAC has also become more selective.

Whether you consider Utah to lack in academic rigor or not, Utah is a member of the prestigious AAU, which is way more than can be said for Tech.

I'm pretty sure the PAC's media deals are with Fox right now, which is why the LHN exists today. It was ESPN's way to block the PAC-16 from forming with the horns.

One of the problems that I remember from the last attempt at this is texas told the PAC they wanted to have unequal revenue sharing, which was a dealbreaker for the PAC. Do you think this mentality has suddenly changed for the horns?

Tech will never be accepted by the PAC by themselves.
#Mke
AG
nortex97 said:

Mediocrity should be the bold face large print words on every and any B12 trophy handed out.
Also describes our football success pretty well this century
musicman55
AG
Nebraska was an AAU school when they joined the BiG.... they lost their AAU status after joining that league.
AG
musicman55 said:

Nebraska was an AAU school when they joined the BiG.... they lost their AAU status after joining that league.

Good call! I knew they had been kicked out, but I thought that had taken place before they were accepted into the Big 10.

Apparently they were accepted into the Big10 in June 2010.

They lost AAU status in April 2011.

They officially became members of the Big10 in July 2011.
West Point Aggie
AG
How exactly does one lose AAU status...
AG
#Mke said:

nortex97 said:

Also describes our football success pretty well this century

The difference is, we never received a trophy for being mediocre.

Every team out there has bad years that they wish didn't happen. It's best not to wallow in the past.
AG
West Point Aggie said:

How exactly does one lose AAU status...

They were voted out of the AAU. I don't remember the particulars as to why, but I remember reading that there were some Big 10 universities that weren't too happy about Nebraska joining the league and not being a part of the AAU.
musicman55
AG
IIRC, it had to do with a decline in the research dollars they were winning. The AAU puts a large premium on its members being premier research institutions.
West Point Aggie
AG
musicman55 said:

IIRC, it had to do with a decline in the research dollars they were winning. The AAU puts a large premium on its members being premier research institutions.

Copy that
Artimus Gordon
I always thought the Sooners would be better served by kicking the sips out and bringing in UH, BYU, and possibly getting Colorado back in the fold. They could get their game back with Nebraska just in case the sips get uppity at being shown the door and refusing to play them. Sooners would run the conference and wouldn't have to take scraps from the sips.
JunctionNephew
Go **** themselves.

Gator bait
Iowaggie
AG
musicman55 said:

AAU membership:

Big Ten - All members except Nebraska
PAC - Cal, UCLA, USC, Stanford, AZ, Washington, Oregon, Colorado, Utah
ACC - Duke, UNC, Ga Tech, UVa, Pitt
SEC - A&M, Florida, Vandy, Missouri
Big 12 - ISU, Texas, Kansas

When the Big 12 hmm-hawed their discussion on expansion a few years ago, Tulane & Rice got heavy consideration because they, along with Buffalo, I believe are the only AAU universities that play FBS football that aren't affiliated with a p5 conference.

Here is list as I may be wrong on that.

I've found it interesting that often the "State"/( schools get the fewer research dollars, and out West is a good example. There are 7 schools in the UCalifornia system in the AAU, and none in the "Cal State" system. Likewise, Arizona, Colorado, Utah, Washington, Oregon are in, but Az St, Colo St, Utah St, Oregon St., WSU are not. I think it is a great credit to A&M, Ga Tech, ISU, Mich St....or I don't know. I used to think it was something related to the land grant schools, but it really is hit or miss on which of the land grant schools made it, and which didn't.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.