Here we go again

3,651 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Bonfire1996
StrykerAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

I understand the reflex. I've had it myself once or twice. "Oh look, the media is propping up [insert fallen blue blood here]. What a surprise." My Twitter mentions got hit pretty hard when my 2020 SP+ projections declared Texas a top-15 college football team and Nebraska a top-25 team earlier this offseason, and I'm sure those associated with ESPN's Stats & Information Group Twitter account had the same experience when the updated FPI rankings placed Texas at 11th.

Instead of lingering on whether something is #typicalmedia and whatnot, let's move past that and on to something more constructive: What will it take for the Longhorns and Cornhuskers to live up to these semi-lofty projections? (And yes, calling Nebraska in the top 25 or Texas in the top 15 lofty in any way tells its own story.)

Texas
Believe it or not, friends, it's been less than 16 months since quarterback Sam Ehlinger stood on a stage at the Sugar Bowl and chanted "We're baaaaaack" following an upset of Georgia. [t.u.] began 2019 in the AP top 10 for the first time in nine seasons but went just 8-5, barely beating Kansas at home and going just 1-3 on the road in Big 12 play.

Technically, though, that was overachievement. While the Longhorns did win just seven regular-season games and finish 26th in SP+, they were projected to rank 31st with 6.9 wins.

Sam Ehlinger and Texas began 2019 in the AP top 10 for the first time in nine seasons but finished the season 8-5. AP Photo/Austin Gay

Quote:

Texas coach Tom Herman did not take 2019's perceived setback lying down -- he changed coordinators on both sides of the ball. That's where we begin our look at Texas' "musts" list.

1. The coordinators must ... coordinate, somehow
West Point Aggie
AG
What an exhausting bunch (those people and all their sycophants)
wbt5845
AG
Quote:

Believe it or not, friends, it's been less than 16 months since quarterback Sam Ehlinger stood on a stage at the Sugar Bowl and chanted "We're baaaaaack" following an upset of Georgia. [t.u.] began 2019 in the AP top 10 for the first time in nine seasons but went just 8-5, barely beating Kansas at home and going just 1-3 on the road in Big 12 play.

Technically, though, that was overachievement. While the Longhorns did win just seven regular-season games and finish 26th in SP+, they were projected to rank 31st with 6.9 wins.
There seems to be a disconnect here.

Bonfire1996
AG
It's hilarious that new coordinators isn't viewed as a last ditch effort to head off the wolves at the gate.

There is so little analysis that goes into this crap. To predict a finish in the top 10, you are saying the absolute floor is 9-3. And with Oklahoma and at LSU on the schedule, you are leaving no margin for error on the shoulders of a coach who is known to brain fart at a 20% clip, at least.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.