Kyle Field White Out for Battle of the Brazos Game

9,330 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by c-jags
Crumpopotamus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone remember having a White Out at Kyle Field when we would play that stuck up little private school in Waco? We'd wave maroon towels and the most common shirt you'd see around campus on game day was a white shirt that says, "it sucks to bu". I know it happened in my life time, I remember going in 2011. I don't know if that goes back further than the 2000s or not. I just think it would be fun to bring back that idea against some SEC west opponent, like Miss. State or Ole Miss.
AgBQ-00
AG
I don't remember this in my time on campus. But when I was in school was the first ever push to coordinate shirt color officially. Maroon Out started in '98. Be fore that people wore what ever kept them from melting.
West Point Aggie
AG
Did anyone really ever get excited in advance of a bayLOL game? I mean really?

Sure they're annoying little b****es but they could not bring 1k to the closest school to them and I have yet to meet an Aggie who misses this series (in ANY sport)
ABATTBQ87
AG
West Point Aggie said:

Sure they're annoying little b****es but they could not bring 1k to the closest school to them and I have yet to meet an Aggie who misses this series (in ANY sport)
Yep:

We only beat Baylor once in my time @ A&M (1986), and the 1984 loss to Baylor was the last time we lost to Baylor at Kye Field in the 20th Century
GrapevineAg
AG
I was at the 2011 game (Tannehill to Swope all day long) and that's the only official white-out I can recall.
bankshot11
AG
I believe it was white shirts and waving maroon towels
Tree Hugger
AG
The 2011 one was supposed to be a fundraiser for wildfire or tornado relief I think.
ag09
AG
It was 2011. Yes to wildfire relief, I think more specifically the Bastrop area. The white was also because it was the hottest summer ever and it was still hot AF in October.
Dr Lane Trowlan
I was in the stands. The maroon towels didn't create the visual that all the white towels do. But it was good to help out the Bastrop wildfire relief, and it was good to beat the hell outta lil' baylor.
#Mke
AG
West Point Aggie said:

I'd love to see a home-and-home since it's an easy drive for us poor college kids. Love the SEC road games for the environment, but sometimes wish he had some closer road games just so me and my friends could go more often.
AggieBaseball06
AG
#Mke said:

West Point Aggie said:

I'd love to see a home-and-home since it's an easy drive for us poor college kids. Love the SEC road games for the environment, but sometimes wish he had some closer road games just so me and my friends could go more often.

I understand the sentiment and don't disagree with the idea overall. But there is nothing redeeming about a game with Baylor. The school, the fans, the town.... it's all trash.
West Point Aggie
AG
#Mke said:

West Point Aggie said:

Well there's always UH or the owls...if we ever play them in Houston...a bayLOL series is not happening. You poor college kids will just have to deal with 8 home games at Kyle...
gigemhilo
AG
wasn't the 2011 white-out game also the "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors tv contract" game as well??
atxaggie07
AG
YES! They rolled out the banner AND they played an SEC ad during a timeout! Hahaha It was hilarious!
-------------------------------------------------------
quote:
"Some people, when a certain team has a big year, they'll buy a jersey," he said. "OK, did you go there? No. Are you from Austin? No. Did you work there? No. Do you know anybody who worked there? No. Well, nice shirt, you know?"
rootube
AG
Thanks for posting but frankly I liked it better when I imagined Johnny Holland never missing a single tackle in his career. I thought the video was broken in the first half.
AggieBand2004
AG
#Mke said:

West Point Aggie said:

1) The SEC move was n times bigger than any individual's personal wants
2) Road trips to Waco, Lubbock, Stillwater, etc. SUCKED. You missed nothing.
3) You get home games against SEC opponents, which are orders of magnitude better than playing Big12 opponents at home.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
I graduated in 2006 and this wasn't a thing then, mostly because no one gave a crap about Baylor. I vote we keep it that way.
A Net Full of Jello
AG
#Mke said:

West Point Aggie said:

See AggieBand2004's post. Beyond that, playing baylor is a no-win. Win and who cares? You should expect to beat baylor. Lose and you just lost to friggin' Baylor.
DGAG92
AG
We didn't get that excited about baylol when I was there. Wasn't much of a worry, still wouldn't be much to worry about.
gigemhilo
AG
Dgrimesag92 said:

We didn't get that excited about baylol when I was there. Wasn't much of a worry, still wouldn't be much to worry about.
I think the excitement was more about the smack baylro was talking before the game. they had been on the rise and that was "their year" and we spoiled it for them with this game. If I recall correctly, we also won a close game with them the year before in waco.
HTownAg98
AggieBand2004 said:

#Mke said:

West Point Aggie said:

1) The SEC move was n times bigger than any individual's personal wants
2) Road trips to Waco, Lubbock, Stillwater, etc. SUCKED. You missed nothing.
3) You get home games against SEC opponents, which are orders of magnitude better than playing Big12 opponents at home.

The closest I came to doing a road trip was going to a game at the Alamodome, because it was the only stadium at the time that wasn't a dump.
West Point Aggie
AG
In the end the only exciting games from the little 10 were the sips and tech because both are a rancid lot in their own special way.

BayLOL was about as exciting as purple bayLOL, rice, and smu, the Kansas schools, and Ames CC!
jokershady
AG
atxaggie07 said:

YES! They rolled out the banner AND they played an SEC ad during a timeout! Hahaha It was hilarious!
That was pretty damn red ass! I don't remember the details but I do recall hearing about how complicated it was for the students to sneak that banner in there cause it had to be done in sections cause it was so big....then had to re-assemble it in the stands.

Also recall it was so big they had to pull it back up cause it blocking the ribbon boards and the paid sponsors ads....but it stayed up long enough
AgDotCom
gigemhilo said:

wasn't the 2011 white-out game also the "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbors tv contract" game as well??
That was funny, but Briles puffing his chest out at Sherman as the score got out of hand, and his "A&M question" after the game were funnier.

aggiejim70
AG
Thanks for some great memories. That '86 game ranks with some of the best games ever played at Kyle Field.
I was at a funeral during the game and caught bit and pieces on the radio. Got home just in time to see my man, Tony Thompson, catch the TD pass.

Watched the '11 game in Houston at my niece's house. She's a Baylor grad. Good times.

I've posted this on other threads, but it holds true. There was a time you could get three generations of Texas Aggies together, and all of them could tell you about the fight at the Baylor game when they were in school.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Muy
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

West Point Aggie said:

Yep:

We only beat Baylor once in my time @ A&M (1986), and the 1984 loss to Baylor was the last time we lost to Baylor at Kye Field in the 20th Century

That was my sophomore year. We got there a little late from pre-gaming, and were shocked to be down by 14 when we got there in the 1st quarter.

But that last second TD just made it so perfect.
Wheatables02
AG
Wheatables02
AG
Wheatables02 said:

It was 2011. They threatened to sue us for leaving the Big 12. They had a heisman winner at QB. We murdered them and it was beautiful. All of it.
W
AG
it is crazy to think that Baylor has not won at Kyle Field in 36 years.

(the 1984 game. And there was also the 1990 tie)
ABATTBQ87
AG
W said:

it is crazy to think that Baylor has not won at Kyle Field in 36 years.

(the 1984 game. And there was also the 1990 tie)
Yes, only TCU has gone longer without winning at Kyle Field.

Here are highlights of the 1984 game, and I can tell you that regardless of heavy rain and lightning the game was never delayed

Jack Cheese
AG
AgDotCom said:

What an utter BICH. I'm so glad he went down in infamy and can't even coach HS anymore.
gigemhilo
AG
Jack Cheese said:

AgDotCom said:

What an utter BICH. I'm so glad he went down in infamy and can't even coach HS anymore.

Actually he coaches high school in Mt Vernon, TX
Jack Cheese
AG
gigemhilo said:

Jack Cheese said:

AgDotCom said:

Actually he coaches high school in Mt Vernon, TX

Still? I thought he was busted for cheating in *year one*.
gigemhilo
AG
well, he got "busted" but it aint like they are going to fire him.

Mt Vernon is not known for being above the board - if you know what I mean.
bodaciousbood14
AG
ag09 said:

It was 2011. Yes to wildfire relief, I think more specifically the Bastrop area. The white was also because it was the hottest summer ever and it was still hot AF in October.
That game was in OCTOBER?? Damn
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.