Breaking News -- Not Back

16,777 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by whoop91
Eric Forman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/19/texas-not-back-tom-herman-big-12

The world as I know it is crumbling... I find this hard to believe. They seemed so back. It seemed they couldn't be backer, and now we find out they are, in fact, not back. What's next, the Big 12 isn't a strong conference and there really isn't One True Champion?
PneumAg
They've been back since 2010. 6-8 win seasons are the norm for them throughout history, not double digits.
inconvenient truth
PneumAg said:

They've been back since 2010. 6-8 win seasons are the norm for them throughout history, not double digits.
oh hi
schwack schwack
AG
Great article. Points out all we've been saying here.

High points:

Quote:

When Texas (31) handled a sulking Georgia team last year in the Sugar Bowl, a fan base exhausted by a decade-long malaise went ahead and proclaimed it: the Longhorns would be back as a national power in 2019. The Top 25 voters, addicted to brand names, bought in, ranked them in the top 10 entering the season despite significant losses on defense.

Quote:

Everyone was, once again, wrong. Texas is not back, not close to back, and there is no reason to believe it will be back until proving it in games that actually matter.
Quote:

Thing is, there is supposed to be a difference between Texas and the rest of the upper-middle class. The recruiting rankings suggest that there should be. The tradition screams that there should be. The results aren't there.

Quote:

Under Herman, 15 out of 26 conference games have been decided by one score or less. Average score of the Horns' Big 12 games this season: Texas 32.9, opponents 32.4. Three of the past four have been decided by a field goal on the final play.
Quote:

it means that they should have to prove they're back before saying they're back.

Hood
AG
schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Thing is, there is supposed to be a difference between Texas and the rest of the upper-middle class. The recruiting rankings suggest that there should be. The tradition screams that there should be. The results aren't there.

Mmmm hmmm...

That sweet, sweet rankings inflation rears its ugly head and most sip window-lickers try to pass it off as conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories that can, conveniently enough, be tracked right on their websites.

I say keep it up.
dermdoc
AG
Oh I thought this was about the sip posters who are always here on August and then disappear. Like clockwork every season.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cupcakesprinkles
AG

A true recruiting anal-yst who is always above board with everything he does.
BohunkAg
AG
Quote:

None of this means Texas will never be back under Herman. It does mean that the Longhorns have a long way yet to go. And it means that they should have to prove they're back before saying they're back.
dixichkn
AG
inconvenient truth said:

PneumAg said:

oh hi

Username checks out
dixichkn
AG
Hood said:

schwack schwack said:

Quote:

Mmmm hmmm...

That sweet, sweet rankings inflation rears its ugly head and most sip window-lickers try to pass it off as conspiracy theories.

Conspiracy theories that can, conveniently enough, be tracked right on their websites.

I say keep it up.
DD88
AG
The lack of player development / inflated recruiting ranking needs to be emphasized to current prospective recruits.

Which programs best develop elite prospects?
lespaul
AG
I congratulate them on their Georgia win and don't want to take anything away from that
However, noting that the 5 seed often loses can't be mentioned enough
the 5 seed is always a great matchup - key players sit and the team has given up for the year...

similar situation when the Ags won over the presumed national champs KSU in the '98 championship game.
KSU was #3 and missed the championship game and went to the Alamo Bowl and lost to unranked Purdue (Bishop vs Brees) in spite of Gramatica's kicking heroics...
Jack Cheese
AG
Obsessed with the state of their backness.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
But but Sam told Longhorn nation they were back ........

Double not so fast my friend !!
- L.C.
SoTxAg
AG
But sips still setting records though.

"Last week's 23-21 loss at Iowa State sent Texas to its 10th consecutive season with at least four losses, a run of mediocrity unprecedented in program history."
Humorous Username
AG
DD88 said:

The lack of player development / inflated recruiting ranking needs to be emphasized to current prospective recruits.

Good to see us at #9.
Artimus Gordon
elfurioso92
AG
A rare moment of clarity from the media regarding the longhorns. I'm sure the burnt orange kneepads will be back on soon enough.
Tom Doniphon
The natives in austin appear to be getting restless with titty bar tom...
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
this cannot be posted enough

LOYAL AG
AG
lespaul said:

I congratulate them on their Georgia win and don't want to take anything away from that
the 5 seed is always a great matchup - key players sit and the team has given up for the year...

similar situation when the Ags won over the presumed national champs KSU in the '98 championship game.
KSU was #3 and missed the championship game
and went to the Alamo Bowl and lost to unranked Purdue (Bishop vs Brees) in spite of Gramatica's kicking heroics...
That's not what happened at all. KSU was BCS #3 going into that game and #1 UCLA lost to Miami during the game. When they announced the score KSU was up 27-12 and they started buzzing. Everyone knew that if they finished us off they would play for a national title. You have to assume they lost their focus thinking about what was about to be instead of what was right in front of them.
West Point Aggie
AG
The very title of this thread made me laugh...
Let’s Go Brandon!
Repeat the Line
Hilarious how much they pounded their chest after beating a Georgia team that was missing SEVEN starters, and Kirby Smart stated all week how nonchalant and disinterested his players were during practice after they lost the SEC CCG.
Tom Doniphon
Adorable Mason Reeves said:

Hilarious how much they pounded their chest after beating a Georgia team that was missing SEVEN starters, and Kirby Smart stated all week how nonchalant and disinterested his players were during practice after they lost the SEC CCG.

They were told - by this very board - that it was fool's gold. Every f-ing thing we've predicted has come to fruition.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Welcome to 2012

W
AG
and another thing no one in burnt orange wants to talk about...

Collin Johnson is finally a senior and so is Duvernay -- their best WR this year.

Ehlinger would be wise to go to the draft.

t.u. could be starting from scratch on offense in 2020
ABATTBQ11
AG
So they'll be young... Again...
A New Hope
Doesn't matter. Got Bru.
Rascal
AG
DD88 said:

This is excellent. I looked and the data is collected from 2010 - 2014.

Would love to see this updated through 2019. I bet the sips fell below into the 30-40 range and I bet we held steady in the Top 10.
ABATTBQ87
AG

Quote:

As a fullback?
Morgan94
AG
LOYAL AG said:

lespaul said:

KSU was #3 and missed the championship game
and went to the Alamo Bowl and lost to unranked Purdue (Bishop vs Brees) in spite of Gramatica's kicking heroics...
That's not what happened at all. KSU was BCS #3 going into that game and #1 UCLA lost to Miami during the game. When they announced the score KSU was up 27-12 and they started buzzing. Everyone knew that if they finished us off they would play for a national title. You have to assume they lost their focus thinking about what was about to be instead of what was right in front of them.
I was about to point out the same thing. If K ST wins that game they are playing for the national title - and they knew it in the game while they were up big that UCLA had lost.

Not the same thing AT ALL as the Georgia / Texas situation last year.
DifferenceMaker Ag
Quote:

Ehlinger would be wise to go to the lucky if a single NFL team even pissed in his general direction leading up to the draft.

Ehlinger is about as relatable to the NFL as Honey Boo Boo. He needs to declare for CPA exam, or think about becoming a high school coach/gym teacher.
ABATTBQ11
AG
ABATTBQ87 said:

Quote:

As a fullback?

Water boy
e=mc2
AG
DD88 said:

Seems like recruits go to Texas to not go to the NFL. Strange.
Reed McDonald 92
AG
This thread delivers!

Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.