Did the Sips cheat during the SWC days?

5,126 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by McInnis80
Repeat the Line
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They certainly pushed Arkansas out of the SEC, but during the latter dozen years or so of the SWC it's interesting that SMU, Houston, TCU, and Texas A&M all received varying levels of probation / NCAA penalties for infractions. Was Deloss Dodds in bed with the investigative committee? It is awfully strange that the schools that posed a threat to the Sips ended up in trouble. Was Texas ever investigated or penalized in the 80s or 90s?

Much like the current dumpster fire, the sips seemingly rigged the SWC in their favor and detonated it once they started sucking.
ABATTBQ11
AG
Lolwut?
Al Bula
AG
Nice attempt at luring the autistic tsips back. Good luck.
Flexbone
Texas was popped multiple times; their punishments were, shockingly, not that severe.
aggiejim70
AG
Did the Sips cheat during the SWC days?

That's like asking if the sun came up in the east in those days.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Jock 07
AG
Google Charles Allen wright
Repeat the Line
Jock 07 said:

Thank you. That's probably the person I heard about, influential UT Law professor and donor that helped make sure SMU got the death penalty before he left the NCAA committee.
Madman
AG
Jock 07 said:

A man with no shame, morals, character, etc. or in other words, every negative stereotype of a lawyer ever.

The guys that ran Enron would think he was too dirty to associate with.

Own it sips.
Repeat the Line
I've no skin in the game, but why any Aggie would ever want to play these corrupt hooligans again is baffling. The sips needs the Aggies a whole lot more than the reciprocal.
BQ_90
AG
Arky left the SWC because of Nolan Richardson and MBB. They needed to progress in another conference to contend for a national championship in MBB
Football Soccer
Not anymore than Jackie Sherrill
bdb85
AG
Football Soccer said:

Who is this rookie? Is that you Mr. Watson?
Wildcat
AG
Less than 2 hr and only 10 replies. Nice tuna.
rootube
AG
Football Soccer said:

I would love for you to explain how Jackie cheated. Jackie whipped the NCAA when they finally went to court just like he did the rest of the SWC.
SigAg6
AG
Yes
elfurioso92
AG
I have been assured by my sip associates that they have never cheated. The cleanest program in the country.
texan12
How about Big 12 days? Colt McCoy's wife admitted on radio that players were paid during his time there.
Humorous Username
AG
Does a bear s*** in the woods?
kb2001
AG
Bonfire1996 covered this pretty well already

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/1851671

Stinky T
AG
Jock 07 said:

And while you are at it, you may as well check out his protege at the NCAA, Dan Beebe. Yes the same worthless sack of something that was running the Big XII when we left and was responsible for the SMU death penalty. He and ole Charles Alan Wright were pretty tight.
dixichkn
AG
Ask Jim Willenborg and the '63 Aggies if tu cheated during the SWC days
Repeat the Line
There's a smug tweet from Dan Beebe in 2017 declaring he "saved the Big 12" once and implicates they need him again.
Repeat the Line
kb2001 said:

Bonfire1996 covered this pretty well already

https://texags.com/forums/6/topics/1851671

Wow, it's truly incredible how insanely corrupt tu was (and to some extent, still is). They loved beating a bunch of poor farmers and military cadets on the gridiron every year, and simply couldn't stand it when A&M showed signs of competitiveness or offered any threat of competition. Good riddance and NEVER AGAIN!!!
AgDotCom

skins74
AG
Before scholarships were capped, they would offer a lot of good players and they would sign many very good ones but many never saw the field. Royal's philosophy was if they are sitting on my bench, they can't beat me. That was the biggest advantage they had before the limits were placed.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
The t-sipper's never cheated then or now! They are the epitome of fair play!

Autocorrect got me
aggiejim70
AG
andyv94 said:

The zip's never cheated then or now! They are the epitome of fair play!
The zips???????

Are you talking about the seniors in the Corps or the football program at the University of Akron?
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
MetoliusAg
Butch Hadnot, Edwin Simmons, Billy Sims, and Marcus Dupree all say hello.

Lol, best part was the cheating sips got outbid by OU on 2 of them.

Johnny2Fan
Had a friend who played at tu. This was in 86. He told me that top players were hooked up with girls aka new girlfriends that gave them money and gifts funneled by boosters. Pretty slick move if true. Nobody gets in trouble.
Owlagdad
skins74 said:

Before scholarships were capped, they would offer a lot of good players and they would sign many very good ones but many never saw the field. Royal's philosophy was if they are sitting on my bench, they can't beat me. That was the biggest advantage they had before the limits were placed.

They were that way in all sports- went to a track invitational where they had mile relay teams finish first, 2nd and 5th.
TwoTimeAg
AG
UT should remember proverb of glass houses
Mickey Herskowitz
Houston Post

The University of Texas runs one of the cleanest college football programs in America and always has. Which doesn't mean that Texas, or its ex-students, never paid a football player or provided cars and phony summer jobs.

They have, the whole 10 yards.

This commentary is prompted by the suggestion that the Longhorns are unhappy because they feel the Texas Aggies were let off lightly by the NCAA. The Aggies lost their bowl and TV privileges for 1994, the only substantial sanctions in a five-year probation.

The Aggies had been investigated for a solid year, after the disclosure that A&M players were paid for summer work they did not perform. Coach R.C. Slocum suspended four players prior to the 1993 Cotton Bowl and would later dismiss two from the squad. The less visible damage is the continued impression that the Aggies are chronic law-breakers. They have received some form of probation seven times since the early 1950s.

In the same period, there were six investigations of Texas, resulting in five reprimands and no penalties. The reasoning was this: since Texas had not been disciplined for the previous violations, it shouldn't be treated as a repeat offender. The moral: don't get caught the first time.

I once worked on a book with a Texas booster who boasted of having supported 10 athletes with what he called $10,000 "scholarships". In his files, he had the letters to prove it. He wasn't modest about his generosity, and one day an investigator from the Southwest conference office called on him. The sleuth was kicked out of his office. Nevertheless, he stopped funding the players.

The statute of limitations on these cases ran out long ago, but Texas exes, of all schools, have no cause to complain or gloat. Only in recent years has the NCAA put such a premium on what is referred to as "institutional control." The Aggies were held accountable for the actions of a prominent grad, whose company in Dallas employed the players who took a hike.

In the case of Texas, the summer jobs didn't exist at all, except on paper, and no one had to fly to Dallas or Alaska to check it out. Only a few blocks from the campus, friendly legislators kept 12 to 16 players on the state payroll. The players did not know where they worked or what they did. Your tax dollars at work.

None of this is meant to excuse A&M on the grounds that everybody does it. Nearly everybody has, of course, and some try harder than others to obey the rules. No coach was more honest with his players than Darrell Royal. But college football had a "don't ask, don't tell" policy long before the military.

One reason Royal retired was the reaction of a Texas regent to his complaints about rampant cheating by Oklahoma. The regent advised the most successful coach in the school's history to quit b****ing and just outbid them. Deciding that a whole lot of fun had gone out of coaching, Royal retired to a more sedate lifestyle.

To my knowledge, there is not a coach in the Southwest Conference today who doesn't go to lengths just short of physical pain to stress compliance. I put Slocum near the top of the list. The NCAA praised him and his staff even as they put the Aggies on the hot plate.

The argument isn't about Texas receiving special treatment, or whether the Aggies deserve our sympathy. Simply put, the time has come to pay the players a modest monthly wage for the 30 hours or so they devote each week to football. Bobby Bowden and Lou Holtz favor the idea. Many coaches do, along with 100 percent of the players.

This would stop making hypocrites of those who judge them and those who write about them.
dixichkn
AG
^^^^ I miss the Post. By FAR the better of the two HTown rags back in the day and the only one that wasn't a sip mouthpiece
wbt5845
AG
Madman said:

Jock 07 said:

A man with no shame, morals, character, etc. or in other words, every negative stereotype of a lawyer ever.

The guys that ran Enron would think he was too dirty to associate with.

Own it sips.

Keep in mind there also was a push from the sips to give us the death penalty as well. Everyone who wants to play them again should keep that in mind - they pushed to shut down our program for 2-4 years.
Madman
AG
And the sips were the only program that for all intents and purposes were able to investigate themselves for a few decades.

Charles sent his buddies to ask the hard hitting questions. And they always found themselves spotless.
Whaler
AG
I had a long conversation once with Coach Bill Yoeman at his grandson's graduation ceremony from Memorial High School. We were there early, sitting next to each other, waiting for the event to start. I asked him about some of his former players and Coach Yoeman talked about a lot of them, some of whom he still talks to nearly every week.

Anyway, he talked to me about Earl Campbell too. Coach Yoeman told me Earl Campbell (and his mother) truly wanted Earl to go to U of H. At that time 1973, U of H was one of the most highly integrated universities in the south. (tu on the other hand, was one of the least integrated universities in Texas or the south).

Yoeman said he loved Earl, but with his grades and SAT test scores, there was no way he could gain entrance into U of H. Yoeman told me, he really thought he'd be fired if Earl was somehow admitted to U of H. He said it was one of the hardest things he had to do to tell Earl he couldn't offer Earl a scholarship. Yoeman said about a month later, Earl got a scholarship to tu and Yoeman said he was shocked because he knew Earl's grades and test scores, and tu always claimed to have higher entrance standards than U of H. Yoeman said tu must have had someone take the SAT for Earl, or cheated another way to admit Earl cause there was NO WAY Earl could have been admitted on his own grades and test scores. Generally, I think Earl was a good guy, but anyone that ever listened to him much would know that like Vince Young, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed. In the day (as now), tu cheated as much or more than anybody, they just had Charles Alan Wright to protect them.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.