UT-Dallas aiming to catch Texas A&M, UT-Austin

20,096 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Texas A & M
Texas A & M
How long do you want to ignore this user?
They're attracting students with some of the highest SAT scores in the state and their engineering and business school rankings are closing in on UT-Austin and Texas A&M.

Texas Tech is naturally being left further and further in the dust.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/higher-education/2019/08/18/ut-dallas-evolved-small-research-center-one-fastest-growing-universities-just-50-years
Macarthur
My son is a senior and is a STEM track and we are looking at UTD. It's a heck of a school.
Texas A & M
Texas is making major strides in having several flagships. UH is closing in on 50K students and just raised a billion dollars, built several giant residence halls, became the fourth university in Texas to reach Tier 1 status, and started a medical school. Not to mention the Fertitta money flowing to athletics. SAT scores, graduation rates, research grants, and private donations are all rising. Nine UH graduate programs are ranked in the top 50 by U.S. News & World Report.
TAMU bball fan
UH's engineering campus in Katy opens this week.
AgCat93
AG
A&M passed over the son of a friend of mine who wants to go into visualization. He's starting at UT-D next week and couldn't be happier.
TAMU bball fan
I know a recent grad who passed on UT-Austin for UT-D. Major PUF dollars are being pumped into UT-D. The same needs to be done at UH.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
little too late. college economic bubble will pop soon.
Tom Doniphon
Why is this in rivalries?
Repeat the Line
Macarthur said:

It's a heck of a school.

Is it?
Macarthur
yes
Nuke_Ag05
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

I agree Tom!

Tom Doniphon
Tom Hagen
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

To make fun of Tech?
SECNetworkAg
Texas A & M
TAMU bball fan said:

I know a recent grad who passed on UT-Austin for UT-D. Major PUF dollars are being pumped into UT-D. The same needs to be done at UH.

Sylvester Turner proposed a bill in 2015 to cut in half the UT System's portion of the Permanent University Fund and allocate it to UH. It didnt pass, obviously, but it's clear that the days of wide funding disparities between Texas universities is coming to an end. Texas needs at least four or five (California has seven) well funded research universities. All signs point to TAMU-CS, UT-Austin, UT-D, and UH being the first four flagships. UTSA makes sense as the fifth.
wbt5845
AG
FWIW - my son passed on A&M and UT when UTD offered a full ride vs. $1000 a semester from A&M and UT. He majored in Computer Science, for which UTD is actually a better program than those two.

He then was offered a fellowship to go to grad school and major in cybersecurity. He graduated with an MS last year and is making money hand over fist.

I saw a metric somewhere that showed UTD having the second highest freshman SAT scores in Texas behind only Rice. I don't doubt it.
SEC 2012
UTD has a solid CS program, but it's not better than UT-Austin or TAMU.

2018 USN&WR CS rankings

10. UT-Austin
20. Rice
43. Texas A&M
64. UTD
102. UH
wbt5845
AG
SEC 2012 said:

UTD has a solid CS program, but it's not better than UT-Austin or TAMU.

2018 USN&WR CS rankings

10. UT-Austin
20. Rice
43. Texas A&M
64. UTD
102. UH
It had something to do with the particular field in CS he went into my. My comment was misleading.
Ed Torian
Tom Doniphon said:

Where could one find more moving images of this young lady sans clothing and in the position akin to that of an eagle spreading its wings?
general ulysses
AG

California Ag 90
AG
Texas A & M said:

They're attracting students with some of the highest SAT scores in the state and their engineering and business school rankings are closing in on UT-Austin and Texas A&M.

Texas Tech is naturally being left further and further in the dust.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/higher-education/2019/08/18/ut-dallas-evolved-small-research-center-one-fastest-growing-universities-just-50-years
the top 10 and top 7 rules used by A&M and sip should apply to all wannabe flagship schools in Texas.

that will balance SAT distribution more evenly.

otherwise it is inevitable that A&M and sip will continue to slip in relative rankings given prevalence of SAT scores in ranking algorithms.

just my view.
We're from North California, and South Alabam
and little towns all around this land...
Nuke_Ag05
AG
Hey hey hey! Who the hell is that?
Tom Doniphon
Pretty sure that's the chick that Tate Martell is cracking...
Nuke_Ag05
AG
Tom Doniphon said:

Pretty sure that's the chick that Tate Martell is cracking...
But he's ass my dude!!!!
DallasAg 94
SEC 2012
Quote:

The Jonsson School of Engineering was deemed in 2018 one of the best graduate schools for engineering by U.S. News & World Report. Among business schools, the Naveen Jindal School of Management was ranked 38th last year, ahead of Texas A&M, ranked at No. 40

From the article, it sounds like they've caught A&M. They're making strides in the arts as well.
TAMU bball fan
SEC 2012 said:

Quote:

The Jonsson School of Engineering was deemed in 2018 one of the best graduate schools for engineering by U.S. News & World Report. Among business schools, the Naveen Jindal School of Management was ranked 38th last year, ahead of Texas A&M, ranked at No. 40

From the article, it sounds like they've caught A&M. They're making strides in the arts as well.

A&M (Chancellor Sharp) is playing checkers with Tech over a vet school while UTD is playing chess.
wilhunting
AgCat93
AG
Nuke_Ag05 said:

Tom Doniphon said:

I agree Tom!

In the words of Luke Skywalker:

"Who is she? She's beautiful!"
Muy
AG
Very good school, and a great option for DFW kids who want to stay near home.

Would suck not having big football games though. Maybe worse than losing to Maryland.
Dark Helmet
You are no longer paying for an education when you go to university as an undergraduate student. You are paying for the name. There is no reason to go to a satellite school with the backlash against universities and massive student loan debt causing anger and resentment.

You are paying for the name on the building. There is zero reason to go to UT-Dallas as an undergrad if you have the ability to go to the schools that matter. They are, in alphabetical order:

Baylor
Rice
Texas A&M
Texas Tech
University of Texas

If you go anywhere else you are handicapping yourself in the job market. No one gives a **** about US news and world report rankings except people talking **** on forums like this one.

"But dark helmut, you ******, SMU has a great business school".

Agreed. Go there for an MBA. That's when it starts mattering. If you don't have an advanced degree, there's no point caring about the quality of education you receive.

"But, dark helmut, you listed Rice".

Best alumni network in Texas for certain types of people and people know what Rice is all over.
abacavir
You are so cool!
TAMU bball fan
UT Dallas is more of a name brand than Texas Tech. Sports don't mean **** to employers. CS grads from UTD outearn the average graduate from the football schools and it ain't close.
Dark Helmet
Truth hurts. Deal with it.
TXPremiumBoy
AG
I'm thinking we need more tiddies.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.