After 15 year fight, ex-coach Jackie Sherrill finally settles case against NCAA

9,510 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by wbt5845
MSU/SECALUM
How long do you want to ignore this user?
https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/18/after-15-year-fight-ex-coach-jackie-sherrill-finally-settles-case-against-ncaa/
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Hope he was paid well.
McInnis80
When was the last time the NCAA won a big case?
Texan1976
Settled with mutual confidentiality agreements. Jackie was persecuted. Just a major coincidence that he left teams on probation.
45-70Ag
AG
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
Go name your stadium field after a racist cheater....oh wait, already done.
Texan1976
A racist cheater? Only on this board.

Why did Jackie Sherrill leave A&M?
SteveBott
AG
Jackie won. They paid him money. Money talks and bullsheet walks.
Ag83
AG
Texan1976 said:

Settled with mutual confidentiality agreements. Jackie was persecuted. Just a major coincidence that he left teams on probation.
He didn't have Charles Alan Wright running blocker for him, you chode.
APHIS AG
While the sips were protected by an NCAA sip at the helm, all guns were pointed at Sherrill and A&M. We were not supposed to win, that was only for the sips.
Loyalty
AG
Texan1976 said:

Yes. A well known racist cheater. Only sip will deny it. Of course denial is nothing new to you people.

So you think during those times in the 80's that ole Fred was pure as the driven snow? Lol...you probably do.
goodAg80
AG
Texan1976 said:

Texan1976
goodAg80 said:

Texan1976 said:

Royal had black scholarship football players before the A&M program.
Texan1976
Ag83 said:

Texan1976 said:

Sounds like it was all just a big coincidence then. That Jackie left multiple schools on probation. Bad luck.
MSU/SECALUM
Texan1976 said:

Ag83 said:

Texan1976 said:

Sounds like it was all just a big coincidence then. That Jackie left multiple schools on probation. Bad luck.
His asst. coaches were the one's responsible for the probation issues. What the HELL do you not understand & you read that he was cleared and settled with the NCAA.
Flexbone
Texan1976 said:

goodAg80 said:

Texan1976 said:

No he didn't. A&M had multiple black players in 1967...3 years before Texas.
David_Puddy
AG
Texan1976 = Randy Duke. What's up you Aggie obsessed moron?
ABATTBQ11
AG
Texan1976 said:

goodAg80 said:

Texan1976 said:

Name them
HTownAg98
Texan1976 said:

goodAg80 said:

Texan1976 said:

Sip:
Quote:

In 1967, E.A. Curry tried out for the freshman football team and earned a place on the roster but was sidelined by grades and did not continue to play for UT. In 1968, Leon O'Neal II became the first African-American to receive a football scholarship to the University but did not return after his first year.

https://www.dailytexanonline.com/sports/2012/05/01/whittier-led-the-integration-of-texas-football-team

A&M:
Quote:

Reynolds and Williams earned scholarships in 1968, and both were honored, along with their teammates, last year for the 50th anniversary of the 1967 team. The Aggies won the Southwest Conference title and beat Alabama in the Cotton Bowl that season.

https://12thman.com/news/2018/10/17/football-paving-the-way.aspx

Stop hoarding your supply of lead paint chips.
Muy
AG
Texan1976 said:

The bigger questions are around why tu let Akers cheat his ass off and still keep his job?
Wildcat
AG
Link related to testimony

Quote:

Trial testimony on Tuesday in Madison County Circuit Court in Canton revealed a secretive underbelly in college football in Mississippi; one where fans, boosters and even head coaches have contacted and provided the NCAA with what they believe to be violations from rival schools.

Sherrill's lead attorney, Jim Waide, noted a close connection between Ole Miss booster Julie Gibert and the lead NCAA investigator in the case, Rich Johanningmeier.

So they go to court and discover what constitutes an NCAA "investigation" is an Ole Miss booster telling his NCAA informant buddy that MSU is cheating.

No wonder they decided to settle.

AgDotCom

Did someone say "cheating"?

Doc Hayworth
Back in the 80's when the investigation was initiated, my dad was on the NCAA voting block that was to determine whether or not they should go after Jackie for the infractions. My dad voted no, because he did not see his involvement. He told me, while at the convention, he heard some of the more influential members of the NCAA make the comment that they were going fishing with an unbaited hook and would see what they could snag. My dad also said it was obvious to everyone at the meeting that t. u. Was the driving force behind the investigation.
I've always been a big fan of Jackie's and find it satisfying that he was able to get this cleared up.
PPlayboy87
AG
AgDotCom said:

And this is in the Dallas Morning News! A more pro-teasip rag you will be hard-pressed to find.
Flexbone
AgDotCom said:

Strange. That seems to be during a time we were kicking their ass. I thought that only happened because we were cheating.
LonghornDub
Good for Jackie. I got to know him a little in a men's social organization we were in, and he's a hell of a nice guy. The NCAA is an ineffective POS. Since the OU's of the world get to cheat with impunity, we all need to do it to compete. If A&M and UT with their alumni bases and wealth operated like OU, AU, LSU, UA, UM. MSU, OSU, etc. those schools would be bottom feeders. It's time to open the floodgates.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

David_Puddy
AG
LonghornDub said:

Good for Jackie. I got to know him a little in a men's social organization we were in, and he's a hell of a nice guy. The NCAA is an ineffective POS. Since the OU's of the world get to cheat with impunity, we all need to do it to compete. If A&M and UT with their alumni bases and wealth operated like OU, AU, LSU, UA, UM. MSU, OSU, etc. those schools would be bottom feeders. It's time to open the floodgates.

When he asked where you went to school, did you tell him the truth? Once you said Baylor, did he snicker?
Stinky T
AG
You guys really need to stop shattering tsip1976's worldview. He's going to have to pull his head out of the sand soon if you don't knock it off.

It is amazing that there are some of these deluded fools still running around in their fan base.
goodAg80
AG
Stinky T said:

You guys really need to stop shattering tsip1976's worldview. He's going to have to pull his head out of the sand soon if you don't knock it off.

It is amazing that there are some of these deluded fools still running around in their fan base.

That's not where his head is
MD20/20
AG
I noticed the article was written by Laura Miller who later was Mayor of Dallas. She was a hellcat investigative reporter, but I can't believe belo let that story get out.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
aezmvp
It still amazing that OU and Penn State weren't hut harder
dermdoc
AG
I have known Jackie for quite a while and love the guy. It was so much fun watching him kick the sips ass and them inventing stuff to try to get him. And the only reason he left A&M was because Mobley and the BOR threw him under the bus due to incredibly high sip pressure.
The sips going after Jackie reminds me of how the media goes after Trump.

And for all those who want to play these guys again, remember history. They will not allow us to play them on a level playing field and if we started beating them regularly, they would go after our coaches, players, and school like a bunch of hungry dogs at a meat market.

I have been associated with upper level sips for about 40 years. They will not let us consistently beat them and will use any tactic to pull that off. And remember they still mostly have the media in their hip pocket. If you know any well connected sips, you already know what they think of Herman personally behind closed doors. But they will do anything to win.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
1976Ag
AG
I guess Texan1976 never heard of the 1960 Syracuse Cotton Bowl game against tu. From what I heard, the tu football players didn't treat Ernie Banks respectfully, maybe even racist. No matter how much tu tries to forget, they need to be reminded.

https://thestacks.deadspin.com/at-the-1960-cotton-bowl-a-syracuse-win-and-a-nasty-rac-1493244857

At The 1960 Cotton Bowl, A Syracuse Win And A Nasty Racial Ruckus

Ben Cosgrove
1/02/14 2:15pm

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--aVvm0dh4--/c_scale,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/19bbigtfic2dhjpg.jpg
In January 1960, an undefeated Syracuse team whipped Texas, 23-14, in the Cotton Bowl. [url=http://life.time.com/culture/cotton-bowl-1960-when-syracuse-whipped-texas-for-the-national-title/#1][See rare photos from the game here.][/url] But it wasn't especially pretty, as LIFE magazine reported in its Jan. 11, 1960, issue:
Quote:

As the game moved back and forth and the normal tensions of the players were increased by the body-crunching fury of the play, an ugly undercurrent of racial bitterness began to spread with shocking results.
At first in the game, the Syracuse players outdid themselves in showing what good sports they were, helping blocked Texans off the ground and slapping their rumps for friendly good measure. But this was short-lived. "Texas was really dirty," said one Syracuse player afterward. "We've never met a bunch like that before."
What enraged them most was that much of Texas' dirty play seemed to be directed toward Syracuse's Negro players. Once when he was plowing through the line, said Negro fullback Art Baker, "one of them spit right in my face."
John Brown, a Negro lineman, played nose to nose against 235-pound Texas tackle Larry Stephens. To goad him off balance, Brown claimed, Stephens kept calling him "a big black dirty ******." Finally, Brown warned him not to call him that again. When Stephens did, Brown swung.
Afterward Stephens apologized to Brown. But Brown had already forgiven him. "That Texas boy was just excited," he said. "Let's forget it."
Much of this on-field race-baiting was dramatized in The Express, the lukewarmly received 2008 film about Syracuse running back Ernie Davis' life. (Davis was the first black Heisman winner and the 1960 Cotton Bowl MVP who died of acute monocytic leukemia in 1963, at just 23 years old). Former Texas players have stated in the years since that no racial animus at all was on display in that Cotton Bowl, and that the Davis film itself was something of a factually challenged abomination; a number of Syracuse players, meanwhile, respectfully disagree with that neat, clean version of the game's history and have confirmed that, yeah, some decidedly ugly stuff went down on the field.
What's pretty clear from LIFE's reporting, though, even if it is a necessarily imperfect "first draft of history," is that something set those players off all those years ago and we feel pretty confident that snide remarks about, say, the cultural shortfalls of upstate Onondaga County, New York, versus the glories of eastern Texas probably played very little if any role in the ruckus.

1976Ag
AG
I wonder who the tu head coach was during the 1960 Cotton Bowl. Could it be Darrell Royal?? I person that tu named a football stadium after? Will tu remove his name and all mention of him? Probably not.
bdb85
AG
Texan1976 said:

Sounds like it was all just a big coincidence then. That Jackie left multiple schools on probation. Bad
luck.

"The case did not seem to be going well for the folks from Indianapolis based on early testimony so news of a settlement isn't too surprising."

Or in today's lingo you might call it "targeting" you stupid f***.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.