More dumpster fire: Okies faking data to boost USNWR ratings

4,584 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by The Agly Duckling
MaterialAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

University of Oklahoma gave false data to U.S. News college rankings for 20 years

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/university-oklahoma-best-colleges-ranking/index.html
Science Denier
AG
Was Big Red Motors listed in there?
DifferenceMaker Ag
So they don't have the most National Merit Scholars per capita of any university in the country???
Ed Torian
Fake data and couldn't crack the top 100?

Does this mean they blow more blue whale c*ck than TBAT?
Stat Monitor Repairman
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

So they don't have the most National Merit Scholars per capita of any university in the country???
I've always raised an eyebrow at that stat.

Must have heard it at least 100 times, minimum, over the past couple decades too.
Bottlehead90
AG
Who here is not surprised?
BurnHard Longer
Ed Torian said:

Fake data and couldn't crack the top 100?

Does this mean they blow more blue whale c*ck than TBAT?

Somehow still less
goodAg80
AG
Why doesn't Texas break off and become part of Mexico?
halfone85
I like the idea of the National Republic of Texas more, not that it would ever happen
RAB87
AG
The BDF clownshow continues.
Your Friend
Cmon BDF brothers, get it together! We're a team!!!
fourth deck
AG
Clemson was gaming the US News rankings for awhile as well. Among other tactics, they would rate other institutions poorly to elevate themselves. Why institutions' perceptions of each other would be a factor is one reason why the US News rankings are mostly garbage.

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2009/06/did_clemson_gam.html

goodAg80
AG
goodAg80 said:

Why doesn't Texas break off and become part of Mexico?

Oklahoma sucks.
Caesar4
AG
I suspect that National Merit brag was true. Some of my kids were NM finalists. OU offered them a free ride for all 4 years. No takers from my family. But, I can certainly understand that many NM finalists would have jumped at that offer.

ETA: So, IMO, that "brag" isn't really a brag. Just a result of an economic decision. Showing once again, like I've mentioned/described on several TA forums...college admissions is a business. And, BTW, college rankings are nearly useless.
TPS_Report
AG
So a university that celebrates using illegal means to obtain land was involved in skulduggery? Preposterous!
goodAg80
AG
Caesar4 said:

I suspect that National Merit brag was true. Some of my kids were NM finalists. OU offered them a free ride for all 4 years. No takers from my family. But, I can certainly understand that many NM finalists would have jumped at that offer.

ETA: So, IMO, that "brag" isn't really a brag. Just a result of an economic decision. Showing once again, like I've mentioned/described on several TA forums...college admissions is a business. And, BTW, college rankings are nearly useless.
So someone smart goes to OU and gets an education on par with San Antonio College or Austin Community College. I wonder how smart they really are.
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Caesar4 said:

So basically OU offered something worthless to them for free? I doubt that many smart kids take them up on that offer versus the other scholarship offers they likely get.
WC94
AG
Land thieves gonna land thieve.
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Your Friend said:

Cmon BDF brothers, get it together! We're a team!!!
McInnis80
I have issues with the US News rankings, but that's another rant for another day. How will OU get out of this hole? I see three options, none of which are good.

1. Raise tuition
2. Increase state funding
3. Cut expenses

Good luck getting a tax increase passed to increase funding so OU can attract more DFW kids. If they cut expenses, down go the the US News scores and good bye smart kids.
Cynical_Texan
AG
Least 0u didn't sell that radioactive land around Houston to tu.... or did they.
YouBet
AG
OU is a dump. Blows my mind the draw they get.
TXAGBQ76
AG
and they are playing by the team rules
The Agly Duckling
fourth deck said:

Clemson was gaming the US News rankings for awhile as well. Among other tactics, they would rate other institutions poorly to elevate themselves. Why institutions' perceptions of each other would be a factor is one reason why the US News rankings are mostly garbage.

http://archive.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/brainiac/2009/06/did_clemson_gam.html

So is Graduation Rate. Together, those count for 50% of each school's ranking.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.