Oklahoma President Quits

8,859 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Cynical_Texan
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The president of the University of Oklahoma, James L. Gallogly, on Sunday announced that he is stepping down, after less than a year in office.

Quote:

Six top administrators were laid off or retired on Gallogly's first day on the job as president. The university also announced a reorganization cutting the number of administrators reporting directly to the president from 25 to 17.

Gallogly cited deficits as part of the reason for the reorganization at the time, and his announcement that he is leaving also cited severe financial problems he found at Oklahoma. His announcement also said that these and other efforts had been successful.

"It became obvious that the Norman campus had been operating at significant losses for the last couple of years, had grown its debt and had limited cash reserves," he wrote. "We later discovered that gifts and alumni support statistics were significantly overstated in various filings (though not at our foundation), and that a couple of new housing projects on campus had low occupancy rates and were struggling. Despite these challenges, we have been able to stabilize our financial position."

Quote:

The campus also saw turmoil in January when video surfaced in which a woman in blackface says, "I am a ******." While Gallogly condemned the use of the slur, many students and faculty members said that the administration (and prior OU leaders) had failed to do enough to deal with a hostile environment experienced by many black and other minority students. In 2015, a video of fraternity members singing a song with the same slur roiled the university.

Adding to the tensions on campus has been an investigation into allegations that David Boren, who was president from 1994 until 2018, sexually harassed male aides.
LonghornDub
I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear that an institution with such a stellar reputation for teaching and representing high moral character would stand accused of such base actions. Uh, would you cash these chips for me?
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Madman
AG
Sips better be careful. OU might out gay them one day.
DifferenceMaker Ag
LonghornDub said:

I'm shocked, shocked I say, to hear that an institution with such a stellar reputation for teaching and representing high moral character would stand accused of such base actions. Uh, would you cash these chips for me?
Never forget, they have the highest per capita number of National Merit Scholars of any university in the nation.
goodAg80
AG
PJYoung said:

The president of the University of Oklahoma, James L. Gallogly, on Sunday announced that he is stepping down, after less than a year in office.

Quote:

Six top administrators were laid off or retired on Gallogly's first day on the job as president. The university also announced a reorganization cutting the number of administrators reporting directly to the president from 25 to 17.

Gallogly cited deficits as part of the reason for the reorganization at the time, and his announcement that he is leaving also cited severe financial problems he found at Oklahoma. His announcement also said that these and other efforts had been successful.

"It became obvious that the Norman campus had been operating at significant losses for the last couple of years, had grown its debt and had limited cash reserves," he wrote. "We later discovered that gifts and alumni support statistics were significantly overstated in various filings (though not at our foundation), and that a couple of new housing projects on campus had low occupancy rates and were struggling. Despite these challenges, we have been able to stabilize our financial position."

Quote:

The campus also saw turmoil in January when video surfaced in which a woman in blackface says, "I am a ******." While Gallogly condemned the use of the slur, many students and faculty members said that the administration (and prior OU leaders) had failed to do enough to deal with a hostile environment experienced by many black and other minority students. In 2015, a video of fraternity members singing a song with the same slur roiled the university.

Adding to the tensions on campus has been an investigation into allegations that David Boren, who was president from 1994 until 2018, sexually harassed male aides.

Did the male aides rebel when Gallogly did not sexually harass them? What could cause this?
DogCompany74
AG
Donor contributions overstated?
Apparently betting on meth futures isn't working out for them.
Hell Bent Canine -All or None
dixichkn
AG
Quote:

Adding to the tensions on campus has been an investigation into allegations that David Boren, who was president from 1994 until 2018, sexually harassed male aides

Ummm.......wow. Where've I been? First I heard of this.
Little bit of Austin rubbing off on those poor souls.....
HeyMoe
AG
Madman said:

That's a pretty tall order, but doable.
BESCo91
AG
Madman said:

Bravo sir!
IDAGG
AG
DogCompany74 said:

Donor contributions overstated?
Apparently betting on meth futures isn't working out for them.
They should do the OSU brainchild of buying large life insurance policies on a bunch of their old BMAs. It worked for OSU.... It's like they didn't think Insurance actuaries knew what they were doing.

OSU Had the Dumbs

Madman
AG
HeyMoe said:

Madman said:

That's a pretty tall order, but doable.

Well the sips wont take this news well. They are probably working on a press release right now outlining how their president has sexually harassed way more dudes than the guy at OU.
Cynical_Texan
AG
LonghornDub said:

Coleman Sweeney
AG
Cynical_Texan said:

LonghornDub said:

Username.....
Potcake
AG
Quote:

"We later discovered that gifts and alumni support statistics were significantly overstated in various filings

Yea, they claimed Lori Loughlin as a donor. USC said not so fast my friend.
Bonfire1996
AG
Remember when there was one man, willing to die alone on that hill, yours truly, who stated with unwavering confidence, that the future financial realities of major college athletics and the demographics that support them, would ultimately come to the forefront in disastrous fashion for the State of Oklahoma. I was met with condescension, talk of "Blue Bloods", and national brand OU, and yet I stood firm.

Fu[k everyone. I was right.
technoviking
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Remember when there was one man, willing to die alone on that hill, yours truly, who stated with unwavering confidence, that the future financial realities of major college athletics and the demographics that support them, would ultimately come to the forefront in disastrous fashion for the State of Oklahoma. I was met with condescension, talk of "Blue Bloods", and national brand OU, and yet I stood firm.

TPS_Report
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

I do not remember this. Prolly because I didn't read that thread.
AGC
AG
dixichkn said:

Quote:

Adding to the tensions on campus has been an investigation into allegations that David Boren, who was president from 1994 until 2018, sexually harassed male aides

Ummm.......wow. Where've I been? First I heard of this.
Little bit of Austin rubbing off on those poor souls.....

I regret that I have but one star to rub off on this post!
BohunkAg
AG
Boren was trying to diddle young boys? Color me shocked.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

Al Bula
AG
OU sucks
Artimus Gordon

To Bonfire!

YouBet
AG
Their campus is a dump as is the entertainment district adjacent to it. I was shocked at how sh^tty it truly was when I was there last fall considering their historic football success.
WestAustinAg
AG
Bonfire1996 said:

I dont doubt you one bit...and i'm serious there...but can I see the thread where this was pointed out?

I will promise to come back here and praise your prophecy...
schwack schwack
AG
Why doesn't Randolph Duke investigate their one true rival instead of wasting time on us?
ccatag
AG
This thread is all the more reason the SEC and the B1G should think twice about ever considering OU as a expansion candidate.

Those are repulsive and embarrassing revelations.
McInnis80
All of the Conference realignment nerds get excited about OU this and OU that. They forget it's the University of Oklahoma. Look at the teacher pay melt down last year. School teachers are moving to Arkansas for more money. That tells you all you need to know about Oklahoma.

Cy_Tolliver
schwack schwack said:

Why doesn't Randolph Duke investigate their one true rival instead of wasting time on us?
This X1000
Cy_Tolliver
McInnis80 said:

All of the Conference realignment nerds get excited about OU this and OU that. They forget it the University of Oklahoma. Look at the teacher pay melt down last year. School teachers are moving to Arkansas for more money. That tells you all you need to know about Oklahoma.

I used to think the jokes about Oklahoma and meth were stereotypes. I dated a chick from Durant and quickly realized that no, that's how they roll up there.
Bird Poo
AG
If not for the Dallas suburbs, OU would not exist. There are so many alumni and T-shirt fans up here it's crazy.

Remember when it was reported that A&M was having debt problems about 5 years ago? Guess that wasn't true either!
RGLAG85
AG
They did get some good news yesterday though, okc is ranked no. 1 in obese cities in the US.
oragator
And then they gamed the us news rankings too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/university-oklahoma-best-colleges-ranking/index.html
The Collective
AG
Gamed it and still not top 100? Not sure what to think.
Tamu_mgm
AG
oragator said:

And then they gamed the us news rankings too.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/23/us/university-oklahoma-best-colleges-ranking/index.html
Geez, it just keeps getting worse for ou
WC94
AG
Quote:

When I say Dildo, what campus pops to mind? OU can not and never will, out gay the sips!
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.