What the heck happened against SMU in '94???

6,708 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by goodAg80
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My mistake, Connell was not on the '94 team. I believe he scored the winning TD when we beat them 20-17 the NEXT year at Kyle.
Gomer95
AG
The following year in '95 we had to come back AT KYLE in the 4th quarter because were down 17-0 AT KYLE in the 4th quarter to loser SMU and we scored enough to win although we had to have Albert Connell catch a TD with a few seconds left to go ahead. Even Fran's offenses had a better chance of pulling off a Hail Mary in his tenure than we could have in those days. We were NOT a comeback offense. That win saved our home winning streak in the SWC until later in the year when tech and Zach Thomas stinking ruined it. Ugh.
BohunkAg
AG
Gomer95 said:

The following year in '95 we had to come back AT KYLE in the 4th quarter because were down 17-0 AT KYLE in the 4th quarter to loser SMU and we scored enough to win although we had to have Albert Connell catch a TD with a few seconds left to go ahead. Even Fran's offenses had a better chance of pulling off a Hail Mary in his tenure than we could have in those days. We were NOT a comeback offense. That win saved our home winning streak in the SWC until later in the year when tech and Zach Thomas stinking ruined it. Ugh.
That 1995 Tech game was in Lubbock. I was there. First time I went to Lubbock. Good times lol.
Gomer95
AG
Oops duh yes I remembered the tech game that year was in Lubbock I just typed it in a weird way that sounded like I thought that one was at Kyle. Zach ended our SWC winning streak and then our home streak was ended later that year by James Brown and the sips. Sorry my mind was just thinking all over the place. Bad losses make you do that lol.
aggiejim70
AG
BohunkAg said:

Didn't we have to make a furious comeback just to tie? I seem to remember Connell especially being the sh-ts. And it lending itself to Pullig's reputation as a bad passing QB.

Also, we have been historically bad in the Alamodome. Anyone remember the stupid Army game in there under Fran that we damn near lost too?
I think we're 2-3-1 in the Alamodome. For some reason, Coach Fran attended the SA A&M Club luncheon a couple of weeks prior to the Army game. I begged him not to overlook this game and reminded him of the '72 loss to Army. That was the absolute worst going back to work Monday ever and that includes a lot of Mondays after Thanksgiving, as I was in the Army then.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
MelvinUdall
Just ran out of time...it happens...
goodAg80
AG
MelvinUdall said:

Sure does

MelvinUdall
goodAg80 said:

MelvinUdall said:

Sure does

Texas is awful, you won't get an argument from me on that...
45-70Ag
AG
(Removed:11023A)
AG
MD20/20 said:

I was there. A video of that game would bore you to tears. I think we tried a really long field goal as time expired.
Was that the same year we played Rice to a 7-0 score?? I had awesome seats for that game as a senior but holly **** did that game suck ass as well!!
Muy
AG
BohunkAg said:

Didn't we have to make a furious comeback just to tie? I seem to remember Connell especially being the sh-ts. And it lending itself to Pullig's reputation as a bad passing QB.

Also, we have been historically bad in the Alamodome. Anyone remember the stupid Army game in there under Fran that we damn near lost too?

I was at that too. The Penn State Alamo Bow as well, and I think we played Michigan (we won if I remember correctly) in that ****ty stadium as well.
Bunkhouse96
AG
andyv94 said:

MD20/20 said:

I was there. A video of that game would bore you to tears. I think we tried a really long field goal as time expired.
Was that the same year we played Rice to a 7-0 score?? I had awesome seats for that game as a senior but holly **** did that game suck ass as well!!

Yeah, Rodney Thomas scored on a long time run on the first possession, and the rest of the 3 and a half quarters we sat on a 7 point lead.

I think this was the same year RC chose to kick off both half's of at least 2 games to play the field position game.
The Agly Duckling
Artimus Gordon said:

I don't guess you have come across the Tulsa game yet?
My thoughts, exactly.
The Agly Duckling
Here's an LA Times article about the debacle... uh-em, game.
BohunkAg
AG
Sully Penny said:

Artimus Gordon said:

I don't guess you have come across the Tulsa game yet?
My thoughts, exactly.
The ol Gulf Coast Offense. Lol.

I wonder what happened to Coach Slocum on a Mobile.
BohunkAg
AG
https://newsok.com/article/2369687/no-aggie-joke-tulsa-stuns-am

T.J. effing Rubley.
The Agly Duckling
I watched that game on TV in El Paso. I was embarrassed for about 2 years. That left a harsh mark.
Ag2Max
AG
That day only got worse when I got to back to my new car in the parking lot of the Alamodome only to find that it had been keyed while I was at the game.
annie88
AG
Quote:

I wasn't alive to see it
Wow. I was six years out of A&M already.

Damn I'm old.
TAMUdoc88
AG
The day we tied SMU sucked, but the sting didn't last long because interestingly, all anyone talked about the following Monday morning was the fact that Rice beat the whorns the night before. So thanks.

Funny, that was considered their worst loss in ages. But after Kansas, Maryland (twice), and others, today it would just be considered another L.
BohunkAg
AG
TAMUdoc88 said:

The day we tied SMU sucked, but the sting didn't last long because interestingly, all anyone talked about the following Monday morning was the fact that Rice beat the whorns the night before. So thanks.

Funny, that was considered their worst loss in ages. But after Kansas, Maryland (twice), and others, today it would just be considered another L.

That was the Sunday night campus flooded. We were busy swimming in the Law/Puryear quad.
Jack Cheese
AG
Gomer95 said:

I was there. SMU was down to their third-string QB named Derrick Canine and he shredded us that day.

Connell came up with a miracle grab in the back of the end zone (not exactly a Hail Mary) on 4th down maybe (?) to secure the win. Was an awful game.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
BQ78
AG
No one has mentioned it but the rumor was that the team had also partied really hard on the River Walk the night before.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Your Mom And Them said:

I'll tell you what happened....only half the teams won a game that day. That's what happened.
You're bad at math. If we ended up in a tie, than less than half of the teams won and less than half the teams lost that day. That's what happens when two teams do not record either a win or a loss.
goodAg80
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Your Mom And Them said:

I'll tell you what happened....only half the teams won a game that day. That's what happened.
You're bad at math. If we ended up in a tie, than less than half of the teams won and less than half the teams lost that day. That's what happens when two teams do not record either a win or a loss.
Tell that to the person who originally made the comment.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.