What the heck happened against SMU in '94???

6,706 Views | 59 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by goodAg80
#Mke
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't find any footage of the game on YouTube. Can anybody explain what exactly went wrong? I wasn't alive to see it, but to me it seems like the most baffling result in A&M Football history. Ags finished the '94 season 10-0-1, SMU finished 1-9-1 (winless in SWC). How did SMU of all teams prevent what would have been A&M's first perfect season since 1939??
Picard
AG
They were cheating. Haven't you heard?

mullokmotx
AG
They had a real good running QB and just kept running him.
goodAg80
AG
The whole team including the coaches counted it as a win and didn't pay attention to the game until it was too late.
AgBQ-00
AG
Team played like schizer. thought they could manhandle SMU and it bit them in the butt
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
AgEng06
AG
#Mke said:

Can't find any footage of the game on YouTube. Can anybody explain what exactly went wrong? I wasn't alive to see it, but to me it seems like the most baffling result in A&M Football history. Ags finished the '94 season 10-0-1, SMU finished 1-9-1 (winless in SWC). How did SMU of all teams prevent what would have been A&M's first perfect season since 1939??
Gdit. The '90s still feel like they were 10 yrs ago... not 20+!
SchizoAg
AG
Slocum's teams lacked offense, which kept scores low so this could occasionally happen.
Bonfire1996
AG
RC Slocum happened.
Wes97
AG
Amazingly the game wasn't the most annoying thing about that day. Having to ride back with two 15 passenger vans worth of dorks jammed into one van because the faculty advisor vomited everywhere in the other one was the best.
Clob94
#Mke said:

You were on NCAA probation that year and punishment was no television and no bowl game. We also didn't play on Thanksgiving that year either. I'd be surprised if anything other than game films exist.
Know Your Enemy
AG
You can't find footage because we were banned from TV that year.

And I hate you Wes for forwarding this thread to me. Worst road trip ever.
aggiejim70
AG
That game was played in the Alamodome. I was there. We missed a PAT and as a result we had to go for 2 to tie the game. That was back in my bookie days, and I remember telling my betting cartel not to get on A&M minus double digits. Kicked myself for taking SMU and the points.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Know Your Enemy
AG
aggiejim70 said:

That game was played in the Alamodome. I was there. We missed a PAT and as a result we had to go for 2 to tie the game. That was back in my bookie days, and I remember telling my betting cartel not to get on A&M minus double digits. Kicked myself for taking SMU and the points.
dermdoc
AG
I was there too. The only Aggie player who showed up was Rodney Thomas.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
digging tunnels
AG
aggiejim70 said:

I'm confused. So you won your bet then

Or you were the bookie and your clients took SMU and they won
goodAg80
AG
digging tunnels said:

aggiejim70 said:

jim70 is getting old and left out the word "not".
West Point Aggie
AG
I was in floor ten of the O&M building working on my thesis and remember the wails coming in from the computer lab...
Let’s Go Brandon!
aggiejim70
AG
goodAg80 said:

digging tunnels said:

aggiejim70 said:

I resemble that remark
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
goodAg80
AG
aggiejim70 said:

goodAg80 said:

digging tunnels said:

aggiejim70 said:

I resemble that remark
I am right behind you.
HHAG
AG
I was there. Rodney played well, no one else did. Man, the Riverwalk sucked afterwards.
MD20/20
AG
I was there. A video of that game would bore you to tears. I think we tried a really long field goal as time expired.
Cooter Brown is my designated driver.
Artimus Gordon
I don't guess you have come across the Tulsa game yet?
aggiejim70
AG
Artimus Gordon said:

I don't guess you have come across the Tulsa game yet?
Made that one too. Let's go for the trifecta. BYU game at Rice Stadium.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Your Mom And Them
I'll tell you what happened....only half the teams won a game that day. That's what happened.
dreyOO
Chris Sanders got tossed out early, the team sleep walked, the refs had some ****ty calls, and we struggled containing Flanagan and Womack.

Slocum loved to play conservative and damn near cost us a L if not for Rodney.
Bonfire1996
AG
Your Mom And Them said:

I'll tell you what happened....only half the teams won a game that day. That's what happened.
Seriously. I don't give an eff if he is just a placeholder, but anyone that thought this, much less went to the freaking media with this, has no business in a leadership position in college athletics at a school like ours. Maybe at Baylor, maybe at Rice, maybe at SMU, but not at our school. Effin A
HeyMoe
AG
mullokmotx said:

They had a real good running QB and just kept running him.
Ramon Flannagan, who was at SMU so long his grandkids got to watch him play.
HeyMoe
AG
dreyOO said:

Chris Sanders got tossed out early, the team sleep walked, the refs had some ****ty calls, and we struggled containing Flanagan and Womack.

Slocum loved to play conservative and damn near cost us a L if not for Rodney.
Hell, we were lucky to beat em the next year at Kyle. We had to throw a Hail Mary on the last play of the game to win that one.
Rongagin71
AG
I was there because the game was in San Antonio and close.
The place was packed but produced a high pitched screech completely unlike Kyle's roar.
SMU played a new QB who was a very good runner, often they just snapped it straight back
to Flannagan and he darted for whatever tiny opening he could...
over and over he made just enough yardage to make a first down and keep the ball.
We almost lost but our offense finally woke up in the fourth quarter.
Muy
AG
Pretty sure I was at this game. Was it in San Antonio in the Alamodome? If so, what an embarrassing game.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Muy said:

Pretty sure I was at this game. Was it in San Antonio in the Alamodome? If so, what an embarrassing game.
Yes
Shoe97
AG
Corps trip weekend for that game. During the game word quickly spread that Bonfire had fallen. Stayed for the entire game but was out at stack as soon as we got back to begin the rebuild.
Gomer95
AG
I was so hacked listening to that game on the radio. For some reason those last few years of the SWC we always had weird games with SMU. My memory is pretty fuzzy on the gameplay but I was thinking SMU scored their 3 TDs after 3 turnovers where we fumbled the ball deep in our own end so they didn't have far to go to score? I do remember thinking "Really?" when they let Kyle Bryant I think kick a 75 yard field goal at the end to try and win because he had made a 63 yarder in a previous game. Hopefully these memories are correct but I tried to blot them out lol.
goodAg80
AG
After the game I went to a dinner that had RC show up and talk. He spent most of the time talking about bad calls. Bad calls? Holy ****. His team TIED a hapless SMU. That wasn't due to bad calls.
BohunkAg
AG
Didn't we have to make a furious comeback just to tie? I seem to remember Connell especially being the sh-ts. And it lending itself to Pullig's reputation as a bad passing QB.

Also, we have been historically bad in the Alamodome. Anyone remember the stupid Army game in there under Fran that we damn near lost too?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.