Active duty military/veteran self identifying thread

9,470 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by UTExan
JABQ04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CactusThomas said:

1/377

JBLM? If so you were right down the road from me when 17FiB came. I was in 2/12 FA, 4-2 SBCT
CactusThomas
ArmchairCowboy
AG
Agvet12 said:

Waiting to enlist in the Space Force as a space shuttle door gunner

How can you shoot women and children with those lasers?
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
USAF 1963-1971 as a cryptologist.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
MSU/SECALUM
pepe the dog said:

My father served from 59-63 in the Army Security Agency. Basic at Bragg he was fluent in Spanish & Russian before he joined. I was born at Devens while he was training, he went on to duty stations at Huachuca when it was a trailer park, then Shemya Station, Vint Hill Farm Station/Pentagon and back to Bragg for discharge. Father was recruited by the FBI, NSA & Secret Service. Father was an Irish, Catholic, Republican that disliked the Irish bootlegger, Democratic president so he didn't serve after he was discharged but he was under FBI surveillance for 13 years so we had constant contact with them & while we were on vacation in Rapid City, SD in 73 when they shot down the FBI helicopter at Wounded Knee & the indians that were Lts of Russell Means who had served as code talkers in the ASA during the cold war were going to reveal US secrets. My father also trained at Bragg with Davis one of the first Americans killed in Vietnam(machine gun sniper).
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
MSU/SECALUM said:

pepe the dog said:

My father served from 59-63 in the Army Security Agency. Basic at Bragg he was fluent in Spanish & Russian before he joined. I was born at Devens while he was training, he went on to duty stations at Huachuca when it was a trailer park, then Shemya Station, Vint Hill Farm Station/Pentagon and back to Bragg for discharge. Father was recruited by the FBI, NSA & Secret Service. Father was an Irish, Catholic, Republican that disliked the Irish bootlegger, Democratic president so he didn't serve after he was discharged but he was under FBI surveillance for 13 years so we had constant contact with them & while we were on vacation in Rapid City, SD in 73 when they shot down the FBI helicopter at Wounded Knee & the indians that were Lts of Russell Means who had served as code talkers in the ASA during the cold war were going to reveal US secrets. My father also trained at Bragg with Davis one of the first Americans killed in Vietnam(machine gun sniper).
Our faculties were staffed with people from all services but in many locations we were supervised by civilians.

I was all over the world but one of the neatest assignments was in St. Louis, MO working with the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. It is still there near the intersection of 2nd and Arsenal Sts. In my day it was called the ACIC, When I got orders to report, I asked what did this place do? Everyone said "we don't know and they don't give out that information." It now has a little description on the internet:

The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) delivers world-class geospatial intelligence that provides a decisive advantage to policymakers, warfighters, intelligence professionals and first responders.

Anyone who sails a U.S. ship, flies a U.S. aircraft, makes national policy decisions, fights wars, locates targets, responds to natural disasters, or even navigates with a cellphone relies on NGA.

I did not do any of the "investigative work" but I (and others) had the responsibility of "communicating" that data in a secure manner.

It was a branch of the NSA in Ft Meade, but it's headquarters is in Springfield VA with working facilities in St. Louis and the St, Louis suburb of Arnold, MO.

I look at public access google maps now and I can only imagine what is available to the military today.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional sports advice.
LonghornDub
Today those of us who served and returned need to remember those who did and didn't.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

UTExan
LonghornDub said:

Today those of us who served and returned need to remember those who did and didn't.

Indeed

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.