William "Rick" Singer lead recruiter for t.u. football

7,546 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Cynical_Texan
HighwaySix
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now we find out t.u. has an excuse for their sorry football program. Over half the recruits were placed by William "Rick" Singer.
HighwaySix
AG
Oh, I forgot the <sarc off>, sorry.
AgEng06
AG
I think you forgot the <funny on>...
tk for tu juan
Why are rookies still allowed to start posts?
Leander - Ag
AG
And aunt Becky
fightinag
sips caught lying and cheating...say it ain't so !
NEXT YEAR IS HERE.......again
Wabs
AG
S.A. Aggie
AG
Link
ashley
I'm sad that nobody would pay money to get into our school.
rootube
AG
It's funny. I kind of always assumed with $500,000 cash you could just buy your way into a school legally and not have to make up SAT's or water polo expertise. You know like my dad built the snack bar at G. Rollie White or something similar.
QB1
AG
Take this to the tennis board - ok, any tu tennis recruits we want???
Snap E Tom
Hah. One of those busted was the "director of college entrance exam preparation" at IMG.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/real-estate-news/article227455609.html
monarch
S
I'm betting money the complete story isn't out on this yet so hopefully we aren't involved...
EMIN was WOW!
monarch said:

I'm betting money the complete story isn't out on this yet so hopefully we aren't involved...
We aren't "hip" or "elite" enough to be involved plus we have things like Blinn Team and myriad other ways for borderline kids to get in. In the end this is just dumb, rich people with dumb, rich kids bribing/cheating their way into "name" schools.

The only reason they got caught is they were not rich enough to donate a building like the really rich ones with dumb kids do.
chevy con queso
AG
monarch said:

Have you seen our admittance rate currently?

I'm honestly surprised people paid so much to get kids into state schools. It just screams desperation.
Not Coach Jimbo
ashley said:

Apparently the schooling isn't very challenging if it doesn't wash people out that cheated to get in.

If that's the case, your degree wont be worth a lot for much longer.
agnerd
AG
Coach Jimbo said:

ashley said:

Apparently the schooling isn't very challenging if it doesn't wash people out that cheated to get in.

If that's the case, your degree wont be worth a lot for much longer.
You'd be surprised at how much cheating goes on after they get in.
TheEternalPessimist
I read about this stuff and it does make me wonder if it is wise to continue this charade called college athletics.

Ben Shapiro nailed this issue right on the head today on the Daily Wire. Unless you are actually learning a real job skill (ie, Medicine, Nursing, Law, Geology) what is the real purpose of college? The real purpose is to propagate credentialism and elitism within said school's group.

Your Poly Sci, English Literature, or Gender studies degree is not teaching you practical job skills. But the school on your diploma may get you woven into the subculture of that school - which helps you get the jobs and access to the alumni association. I am not saying that is a bad thing - I am simply saying it's real. Aggies take care of Aggies right?

In regards to athletics, maybe we should take all this into account and spin out athletic programs into clubs that simply license the use of the school logos and colors? Jimbo gets his cool $10 million. Why shouldn't the athlete get his? The whole thing is out of whack.

Meanwhile, my middle class family can barely afford tickets to 1 Aggie home game a year.
EMIN was WOW!
College athletics at least for the big two is on an unsustainable path. So is the issue of college debt.

At some point, it will blow up and correct itself but a lot of things subsided by things will blow up too (think about the huge infrastructure supporting college athletics and colleges in general). It will be ugly but is needed.
rootube
AG
TheEternalPessimist said:

I read about this stuff and it does make me wonder if it is wise to continue this charade called college athletics.

Ben Shapiro nailed this issue right on the head today on the Daily Wire. Unless you are actually learning a real job skill (ie, Medicine, Nursing, Law, Geology) what is the real purpose of college? The real purpose is to propagate credentialism and elitism within said school's group.

Your Poly Sci, English Literature, or Gender studies degree is not teaching you practical job skills. But the school on your diploma may get you woven into the subculture of that school - which helps you get the jobs and access to the alumni association. I am not saying that is a bad thing - I am simply saying it's real. Aggies take care of Aggies right?

In regards to athletics, maybe we should take all this into account and spin out athletic programs into clubs that simply license the use of the school logos and colors? Jimbo gets his cool $10 million. Why shouldn't the athlete get his? The whole thing is out of whack.

Meanwhile, my middle class family can barely afford tickets to 1 Aggie home game a year.
I agree with most of what you are saying here in theory but if I'm honest I am not going to encourage my kids to skip college and take their chances in the job market without a degree. This little incident just laid bare what we really all know deep down. Rich people have access and opportunities that the rest of us don't. The biggest irony of all is not that these people are going to jail for fraud it's likely they had the money to get the access anyway. They were just being too cheap and decided to use the side door instead of the back door.
TheEternalPessimist
rootube said:

I agree with most of what you are saying here in theory but if I'm honest I am not going to encourage my kids to skip college and take their chances in the job market without a degree. This little incident just laid bare what we really all know deep down. Rich people have access and opportunities that the rest of us don't. The biggest irony of all is not that these people are going to jail for fraud it's that they likely had the money to get the access anyway and they were just being too cheap and decided to use the side door instead of the back door.
Excellent response.

I too will be encouraging my teenage daughters to go to college. One will play D3 women's ice hockey and the other probably D1 track/XC at (you guessed it) Texas A&M. But the main reason I want them to go to college is for the credential-ism and the diploma -- more than anything else if I am honest. I have seen what it did for my FTA Class of '06 sister both in the private and public sector.

I didn't finish college, and God has been good to provide and drive me to work hard and earn a good living, but I have out earned the vast majority of non-degree holders. I don't want the law of averages to hurt my girls. So I am playing the game every other prospective college parent plays...... and it sucks.

I don't have a problem with private people making deals with private colleges to get into schools. They are private. But I have a problem when this is done with public universities. I also have a problem with deliberate and organized cheating on college entrance exams used by accredited schools -- particularly when the cheating can be bought by only super wealthy families and where they can pay to cover it up. This scandal completely undermines any precepts of fair admissions standards at the schools involved. Period. As much as I don't like t.u. - the kid that didn't get in because of nefariousness there got screwed over because his parents were not rich enough or connected to the super-elite (overwhelmingly liberal btw).

Alan Dershowicz stated today this is the greatest academic scandal in American higher education history and that this is only the tip of the iceberg of the corruption.
EMIN was WOW!

Quote:

Alan Dershowicz stated today this is the greatest academic scandal in American higher education history and that this is only the tip of the iceberg of the corruption.
The lawyer and running buddy of a guy who got a slap on the wrist for effing and trafficking minors would know a thing or two about major scandals.

And yes unless you want to go stem, you should skip college.
TheEternalPessimist
Even guilty criminals are afforded the right to be defended under our Constitution.

I wasn't defending Dershowiczs' clients' actions nor the actions of his friends, or even his liberal politics - simply restating what one of the premier Constitutional scholars and Harvard professors of our time stated.

Like it or not, it matters.
EMIN was WOW!

Even guilty criminals are afforded the right to be defended under our Constitution.

I wasn't defending Dershowiczs' clients' actions nor the actions of his friends, or even his liberal politics - simply restating what one of the premier Constitutional scholars and Harvard professors of our time stated.

Like it or not, it matters.
Oh he is right about the scandal. He knows because he is part (maybe more than just as a lawyer) of a major legal scandal that threatens to become on of the biggest ever. If they ever unseal that case, watch out.
Science Denier
AG
rootube said:

I agree with most of what you are saying here in theory but if I'm honest I am not going to encourage my kids to skip college and take their chances in the job market without a degree. This little incident just laid bare what we really all know deep down. Rich people have access and opportunities that the rest of us don't. The biggest irony of all is not that these people are going to jail for fraud it's likely they had the money to get the access anyway. They were just being too cheap and decided to use the side door instead of the back door.
Instead of telling him not to go to college because life is rigged for the rich, why not tell him to get rich so he can afford the benefits of being rich. College, not only gets you a step closer, in college you can make contact that can also help you later get to that rich stage.
LOL OLD
Science Denier
AG
Alot of these rich folks paying for their kid to get into the "right" college understand that it's not what you learn while going to college as much as it is who you meet and form relationships with.

Making friends with 100 Stanford grads probably will gain you more money later in life than making friends with 100 UH students.

Connections and relationships certainly help one get to being "rich".
LOL OLD
ghollow
AG
Rosy Finch Boy said:

monarch said:

We aren't "hip" or "elite" enough to be involved plus we have things like Blinn Team and myriad other ways for borderline kids to get in. .
The 'sips have their own version of "Blinn Team" called the CAP Program. My niece is currently going through it.

Everyone also has the option of going to another school for a year and then transferring in.
HeyMoe
AG
Bad news for so-called "elite" schools; this mess will bring a lot of unwanted attention as to who's kids went where and how they got in.

Not only that , but Harvard has been fighting a lawsuit the last few years regarding their admissions policies; this skin color gets you extra points, this skin color loses you points, etc.
BohunkAg
AG

This dude needs to get laid.
DayAg!
S
TheEternalPessimist
jblaschke said:

Alot of these rich folks paying for their kid to get into the "right" college understand that it's not what you learn while going to college as much as it is who you meet and form relationships with.

Making friends with 100 Stanford grads probably will gain you more money later in life than making friends with 100 UH students.

Connections and relationships certainly help one get to being "rich".
That's what Ben Shapiro essentially said today.
rootube
AG
jblaschke said:

rootube said:

Instead of telling him not to go to college because life is rigged for the rich, why not tell him to get rich so he can afford the benefits of being rich. College, not only gets you a step closer, in college you can make contact that can also help you later get to that rich stage.
For me personally being rich is not an important part of the discussion. Big deal if rich people have advantages. The thing that makes me pause is the escalating cost of higher education. Right now you can financially justify the cost of higher education. If college costs keep escalating at the current rate, I wonder if the payback becomes questionable? It feels like the current path we are on is unsustainable.
rootube
AG
jblaschke said:

rootube said:

Also I think you may have misunderstood my comment. For me it is a cold calculated decision on if the benefit of an undergraduate degree is greater than the cost. It seems possible that in our lifetimes it becomes a bad investment. As long as the benefit is greater than the cost you go to college. Simple as that. Telling your kids that going to college is going to make them rich is the same as telling them a fairytale.
HTownAg98
monarch said:

Our starting QB went to IMG. Hopefully he didn't need "help" on his entrance exams.
From the articles I've read, they didn't try to get the kids into the football teams because of the added scrutiny. They went to lesser sports then suffered career ending injuries or just didn't show up for practice.
huisachel
How many under qualified scholars get in because they can play football or basketball or their complexions are of a darker hue?

That's the scandal
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.