Big12 & Pac12 Football Scheduling Alliance - Failed

3,176 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Science Denier
BESCo91
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Inside the proposal for a Big 12 and Pac-12 college football scheduling alliance
-- by Dennis Dodd, CBS Sports, 28 Feb 2019

It ultimately did not happen, but the Big 12 had a big idea about working with the Pac-12. The Big 12 and Pac-12 would have play an interconference championship game as part of an overall scheduling alliance proposed between the two leagues to boost their profiles, according to a document from Kansas State's former president that was obtained by CBS Sports.

The year-old proposal from former K-State president Jon Wefald suggested the two league play their three annual nonconference games against one another. That would create 30 unique Big 12 vs. Pac-12 nonconference games each season in addition to the nine intraconference games played by each league. At the end of the season, Wefald suggested the league's "could play a game for the interleague championship." Wefald went on to offer another proposition: four-team playoff "for the overall championship" between the conferences.

No action was ever taken on the proposal, which was created in the aftermath of Big 12's expansion study. Wefald made it at the request of West Virginia president Gordon Gee, the chairman of the Big 12 board of directors. The San Jose Mercury News dug down on the details of the proposal in a story published this week. Jon Wilner wrote that Wefald's first inclination was to lure Arizona and Arizona State to the Big 12.

Both conferences' primary media rights deals expire in 2025.

Sources:
- https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/inside-the-proposal-for-a-big-12-and-pac-12-college-football-scheduling-alliance/
- https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/02/26/former-big-12-president-proposes-strategic-alliance-with-the-pac-12-the-conferences-should-embrace-the-future-together/
aggiehawg
AG
How dumb. The PAC and the B1G have had an alliance since creation of the Rose Bowl. Why would the PAC shun the B1G for all of their non-con games?
BronkNagurski
Tessus is gonna need its best snake oil/used car dealer pitch in order to make the PAC its Lil' brother as the PAC/BDF deals near expiry. Wonder who gets left behind. . . Baylol? TCUpgrade? ITT? There will be 2 lines forming in the dumpster fire starting in 2021 . . . those wishing to check Del Conte's oil, and those waiting their turn to take their daily dose of PAIN.
aggiejim70
AG
BronkNagurski said:

Tessus is gonna need its best snake oil/used car dealer pitch in order to make the PAC its Lil' brother as the PAC/BDF deals near expiry. Wonder who gets left behind. . . Baylol? TCUpgrade? ITT? There will be 2 lines forming in the dumpster fire starting in 2021 . . . those wishing to check Del Conte's oil, and those waiting their turn to take their daily dose of PAIN.
Listen to this learned man, he knows of what he speaks. A lot of folks are going to get the Richard. We, along with Arkansas, Nebraska, Colorado and Mizzou knew what we were doing when got the hell out. I just can't see the logic in well meaning Texas Aggies wanting to get back involved with these self serving bozos.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Mathguy64
AG
I'm trying to imagine the Morgantown to Pullman road trip. Forget the fans. Imagine how brutal that would be just for the players.
goodAg80
AG
Poor left out Big12
BESCo91
AG
mathguy86 said:

I'm trying to imagine the Morgantown to Pullman road trip.
According to Google, Pullman to Morgantown, driving, is 36 hours (2,370 miles).
LOYAL AG
AG
From the headline I figured the PAC realized the BDF can't count to 12.
SlackerAg
AG
So each conference thinks their own is weak & other is stronger to bolster their schedules?
I don't like the PAC12.

The only aspect of the proposal that I like is that it takes the fcs ooc games off of the schedules. I'd like to see the P5 schools play only P5 schools.
BESCo91
AG
33 said:

I'd like to see the P5 schools play only P5 schools.
Speaking strictly as a generic college football consumer, I agree with you.
More P5 vs P5 games the better .... gives the consumer more choices on Fall Saturday's.

I imagine there would be some angst in various State Houses across the country .... BigStateU by playing LittleStateU funds LittleStateU's athletic budget for the year.
BohunkAg
AG
33 said:

I don't like the PAC12.

The only aspect of the proposal that I like is that it takes the fcs ooc games off of the schedules. I'd like to see the P5 schools play only P5 schools.
But that can't happen. Not if you would like places like Sam Houston and Lamar to field good, competitive football teams every year. Also, it would be a literal scheduling nightmare.
APHIS AG
HackerAg said:

So each conference thinks their own is weak & other is stronger to bolster their schedules?
The only thing that is true is that the SEC will only get stronger and richer and the BDF and PAC will get weaker and poorer, if the BDF survives, which it will for the sips finally have the conference that they have wished for.
TPS_Report
AG
An inter-conference championship? What a cluster-bleep that would be. How about not running off the better schools in your conference?

Luring AZ and ASU? With what... promises to get hosed by the Commissioner whenever the sips are feeling pissy (which is always). The opportunity to go to Lubbock and Waco? Jeebus!
HTownAg98
HackerAg said:

It's like mixing one bag of **** with another bag of **** and expecting something other than a bigger of *****
UTExan
33 said:

I don't like the PAC12.

Why? North Dakota State loves beating Iowa and Kansas State in their home stadiums in very entertaining games.
BQ_90
AG
Just think of those PAC12 fans will miss getting up in the middle of the night to see a big brunch home game kick off

aggiejim70
AG
BQ_90 said:

Just think of those PAC12 fans will miss getting up in the middle of the night to see a big brunch home game kick off

Yeah, I guess you're right, their games in Texas would be kicking off at 9 or 10 am on the west coast.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
BronkNagurski
aggiejim70 said:

BQ_90 said:

Yeah, I guess you're right, their games in Texas would be kicking off at 9 or 10 am on the west coast.
Perfect early brunch time. Call it 'GameDay blastoff', kinda like the 6 am cartoons I used to get stoked up to watch!
Agvet12
AG
Imagine the game of the day being prime time 11am cst kick off, OrSt v Kansas

That's the game of the year
twk
AG
Quote:

The year-old proposal from former K-State president Jon Wefald suggested the two league play their three annual nonconference games against one another.
Not to hijack the thread, but if the Big XII and Pac-12 adopted such a proposal, that would be the end of the discussion about A&M resuming the football series with Texas, as all 3 of their non-conference games would be scheduled with the Pac-12. I doubt it ever happens, but it is one more reason why it would be silly for A&M to do any kind of long term deal with the sips.
McInnis80
I would love to see it happen as it would tie the two weaker sister conference to each other. I am sure that USC and Stanford are willing to give up their annual games with Notre Dame so they can play OSU and Kansas State.

The one good thing it would keep the country from learning how bad the Pac 12 and Big 12 are until bowl season.
Artimus Gordon
This is the best possible scenario for both conferences. It gives the pac12 exposure to the central time zones. The Bdf could split into 2 5 team divisions and play 8 conference games (4 games within the division and 4 with the other division) and have 4 games with the pac 12. 2 at home and 2 on the road. Scheduling may take some time to work out!

USC, Stanford & UCLA Would solve sips home scheduling problems. It is just as easy to go to the left coast for two games as it is to Iowa state and West Virginia.

Sip would have Tcu, tech, bu & OU in their division north would be OSU, WVU, KU, KSU, & ISU. That would give an easy win for sip or OU in the conference championship game.

And we could live happily ever after without sniveling delconte bugging us for a game to save their sorry ass home schedule!
Science Denier
AG
Quote:

Says the dude from a conference that already has several non-Power 5 teams in its conference. Hammer all P5 teams to make his team look better.
LOL OLD
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.