ON 50TH ANNIVERSARY OF SUPER BOWL III....

2,934 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by ABATTBQ87
huisachel
How long do you want to ignore this user?
All the stories are about Joe Namath and the Jets and none mention that the real qb on the rosters was John Unitas and he barely played because of an injury to his arm.

And the Jets won with defense: their anemic offense scored one touchdown.

But hey, they are from New York (cue the music) and were underdogs

Namath's stats for the game were pathetic
AggieBand2004
AG
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
The Colts were 18 point favorites. The fact of the matter is that Broadway Joe guaranteed victory. He was also the hippest/coolest dude in the NFL at the time.

What you are missing is that Matt Snell ran the ball right down the Colt's throats for four quarters, to the tune of 121 yards. George Sauer Jr caught 8 balls for 133 yds and a TD.

Namath was 17-28 for 206, with a QBR of 83.

Unitas 11-24, 1 int, QBR of 42.
Morrall 6/17, 3 ints, QBR 9.3

Unitas only played in 5 games that year, yet the Colts were 13-1.

twk
AG
Earl Morrall started every game and was the NFL MVP. Unitas being out had nothing to do with it.
91_Aggie
AG
Wow. This is a good example of the stupidity that seems to be pervasive and prodigious from any dumbass that is a sip fan.
goodAg80
AG

Hamburger Dan
The only thing people remember about that game is the Colts were huge favorites and got outplayed by the upstart Jets, and Joe Willie Namath.
petey88

John Mackey caught some, made yards.

JFF was the closest thing in talent to Joe that ever existed
Al Bula
AG
petey88 said:

petey88
RPM said:

petey88 said:

Joe couldn't run, but threw the prettiest pass,...Joe was a winner, and big shot celebrity when he played

JFF. of course, could run,...and IMO the big shot celeb and winner

John Mackey was a great TE
MSU/SECALUM
https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=yfp-t&p=youtube+joe+namath+commercials+with+joey+heatherton#action=view&id=4&vid=e870d43136a8beb47b99d07570daedcd
YouBet
AG
Half this site:

Who are Bart Starr and Joe Namath?
HeyMoe
AG
Paul Zimmerman wrote in a book years ago that while Namath's stats weren't that great, his real accomplishment that day was the way he picked apart the Colts defense. He called all the plays himself, but the remarkable thing was that many times he wouldn't even call the plays in the huddle. He would tell the team "check with me" and he would call the play at the line of scrimmage based on what he saw from the Colts defense. It's absolutely amazing compared to QBs today, who have every play sent in from the bench.
AgDotCom
YouBet said:

Half this site:

Who are Bart Starr and Joe Namath?
I guess that means half this site is unaware of the coolest cat to put on a uniform. No one else is close.
dermdoc
AG
Don Meredith and Sonny Jurgenson were pretty cool too.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace said:

The Colts were 18 point favorites. The fact of the matter is that Broadway Joe guaranteed victory. He was also the hippest/coolest dude in the AFL at the time.

What you are missing is that Matt Snell ran the ball right down the Colt's throats for four quarters, to the tune of 121 yards. George Sauer Jr caught 8 balls for 133 yds and a TD.

Namath was 17-28 for 206, with a QBR of 83.

Unitas 11-24, 1 int, QBR of 42.
Morrall 6/17, 3 ints, QBR 9.3

Unitas only played in 5 games that year, yet the Colts were 13-1.

FIFY
petey88
dermdoc said:

Don Meredith and Sonny Jurgenson were pretty cool too.

Dandy Don was a legend

Sonny, too

Aggie kith and kin
Joe Capp
huisachel
Namath was the darling of the NY press. When the NFL told him he could not continue as an owner of a nightclub that was a hangout for gamblers he wept and said he would retire instead. He didn't.

His offense scored one touchdown. The Jets defense won the game
BoomGoesThe
This is true, except that Namath wasn't in the NFL at this point.
Post removed:
by user
HHAG
AG
Joe Kapp.

What a guy. Only player that played in a Super Bowl, Rose Bowl and Grey Cup. Became an actor, then Cal Berkeley head coach. Coached the Big Game where "The Play" occurred.
petey88
HHAG said:

Joe Kapp.

What a guy. Only player that played in a Super Bowl, Rose Bowl and Grey Cup. Became an actor, then Cal Berkeley head coach. Coached the Big Game where "The Play" occurred.

didn't know that about Kapp,....thanks

Hated the Vikings, but respected them. Great teams under Bud Grant.

"More Bud, Les Steckel"

My best friend Ag & roomie was a huge Fran Tarkenton fan, we always had to watch Viking games. I was a Cowboy fan as a kid. I actually have a seat cushion from the Cotton Bowl days my Dad got. It has the old Cowboys logo on it. He used to go sit in the end zone for cheap.

The only story I can recall from Dad at the moment was when the Rams Big Daddy Gene Lipscomb lined up, Meredith yelled, "Got damn, Big Daddy". He was 6'9" and 290#.
SWCBonfire
AG
petey88 said:

The obvious old school NFL comparison was Fran Tarkenton IMO.
aggiejim70
AG
HHAG said:

Joe Kapp.

Was he the coach at Cal when they came to Kyle Field in what was known as the Bonehead Bowl. Late in the game Cal kicked a field goal to take the lead, but we were off-sides. Cal took the points off the board for a first down, then fumbled. Then Jimmy Hawkins got tackled in the end-zone for a safety and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's lost in the mists of time, but this might have been Jackie's first game.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
Aggie kith and kin
Thanks for correcting the spelling of Kapp's last name. I loved watching him compete on the football field. He was "a piece of work".
dixichkn
AG
Aggie kith and kin said:

Thanks for correcting the spelling of Kapp's last name. I loved watching him compete on the football field. He was "a piece of work".
Apparently he still is.....

https://deadspin.com/5862787/watch-ex-canadian-football-greats-joe-kapp-and-angelo-mosca-brawl-as-only-old-guys-can-with-canes
Biz Ag
AG
aggiejim70 said:

HHAG said:

Joe Kapp.

Was he the coach at Cal when they came to Kyle Field in what was known as the Bonehead Bowl. Late in the game Cal kicked a field goal to take the lead, but we were off-sides. Cal took the points off the board for a first down, then fumbled. Then Jimmy Hawkins got tackled in the end-zone for a safety and we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. It's lost in the mists of time, but this might have been Jackie's first game.

Jackie's first game as A&M head coach was Doug Flutie's coming out party at Boston College.

The Cal player who tackled Jimmie Hawkins for the safety? Ron Rivera who is now the Panthers head coach.
jokershady
AG
aggiejim70
AG
Biz Ag said:

aggiejim70 said:

HHAG said:

Joe Kapp.

Jackie's first game as A&M head coach was Doug Flutie's coming out party at Boston College.

The Cal player who tackled Jimmie Hawkins for the safety? Ron Rivera who is now the Panthers head coach.
Thanks for the info. I was at that BC game too.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
HHAG
AG
I was at the BC game as well. Good start to my BAS.
AgDotCom
Pretty sure the '83 Cal game at Kyle was the debut of the 12th Man kickoff team. Part of the build up was that Cal had pulled off that insane kickoff return on the last play of the Stanford game at the end of the season prior, now A&M was going at them with walk-ons.

A&M kicked off first to open the game, and you could feel the anticipation / tension. What does Jackie do? Onside kick. Cal recovered, but Jackie dropped trou and showed his large pair with that decision....I liked it.
ABATTBQ87
AG
AgDotCom said:

Pretty sure the '83 Cal game at Kyle was the debut of the 12th Man kickoff team. Part of the build up was that Cal had pulled off that insane kickoff return on the last play of the Stanford game at the end of the season prior, now A&M was going at them with walk-ons.

A&M kicked off first to open the game, and you could feel the anticipation / tension. What does Jackie do? Onside kick. Cal recovered, but Jackie dropped trou and showed his large pair with that decision....I liked it.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.