When BDF implodes, where does Texas Tech land?

20,083 Views | 255 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Redstone
aggiehawg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Why would the B1G want to start a war? The status quo favors them.

What would they be preempting? I see the 2 most likely scenarios:

1. The PAC adds tu and ou; or
2. The BDF expands by adding FSU, Miami, Clemson, and GT

The Big Ten would still be the only ballgame in the north. The B1G would probably still be making more money than any conference besides the SEC.

EDIT: Terminology was technically incorrect.
Years away even if feasible. ACC Gor.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Don't disagree,

Somebody suggested the B1G go up to 16 as a preemptive strike. So the question was what would the B1G preempt by taking Kansas and ISU? This was the best I could do on short notice.
Iowaggie
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I respect that ISU consistently gets 50k, no matter the opponent. But like you said, they do not move the needle, even in better years.

The PAC will probably need serious surgery in the next 5-10 years. The only way ISU and KU "move the needle" is if they replace Wash St and Oregon St.

I don't think the PAC grows the stones for that move until true desperation sets in.

I don't think that ISU is a serious contender, at all, unless the PAC goes to 16.

At that point, they become an interesting travel partner for Kansas (4 hours drive), while OU and Texas (5.5 hours) are travel partners.

Compare this to Kansas and OU (5 hours) and Texas & Tech (5.5-6 hour drive).

Again, I don't think ISU is a great watch, but neither is Tech (or Kansas) nationally. Their home attendance is similar, as are their branding deals.

The one trump card Tech (or OkSU) has over ISU is if Texas (or Oklahoma) legislature mandates the pairing of state schools.

The one (and only) trump card that ISU brings over Texas Tech which will work in their favor is their high research status and membership in the AAU. Expansion that adds 3 universities in the AAU looks a lot better as both KU and tu enjoy that status. Especially since there are only about 35 of 62 AAU universities that play D1 football.
Riding Pony Upon My Boat
AG
No way west coast eliteist realistically look at Iowa freaking state, ever. Your arguments are sound but those people turn their nose up to middle America. Even if the decision makers think it's a good decision to take ISU, no one from any PAC school would ever support them. Nor do I think ISU would feel they'd be a good culture fit for the PAC, although I think they'd be more inclined to accept that deal to ensure they have a seat at the big boy table long term.
Riding Pony Upon My Boat
AG
Iowa state has been a bottom dweller for so long people forget they are even a power 5 school. They move the needle probably less than anyone, outside of maybe Purdue, or Indiana (or half the ACC). Kansas' only saving grace is basketball.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Why would the B1G take ISU when they already have Iowa? That makes no sense.

ISU is headed to the MAC in the next round of realignment.

Baylor and TCU are also headed to a non P5 league.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I don't think they would. But one tries to think through scenarios.

Currently the B1G is the #2 conference in terms of money. Politically, the B1G is usually the one pushing for change among the P5. Example: The B1G was the one pushing full cost of attendance.

The other 3 conferences have problems. It is to the B1G's advantage that the other 3 conferences have problems, because power is relative and tends to be zero sum.

The PAC could theoretically stabilize itself by cutting 2 welfare programs and replacing them with 2 lower middle class programs that are also AAU and have strong hoops histories.

Not probable but likewise not impossible.
musicman55
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

Why would the B1G want to start a war? The status quo favors them.

What would they be preempting? I see the 2 most likely scenarios:

1. The PAC adds tu and ou; or
2. The BDF expands by adding FSU, Miami, Clemson, and GT

The Big Ten would still be the only ballgame in the north. The B1G would probably still be making more money than any conference besides the SEC.

EDIT: Terminology was technically incorrect.
I think the Big 10 would like to get into the southern tier of states if they could reasonably do so. The rust belt continues to lose population to the south and west, and having 2 marquee athletic programs from a growing part of the country would help them. The "preemptive" part comes from pre-emptin the Pacs picking up tu, OU, or both.

The other schools that the Big 10 has reportedly looked at re: additions are ACC members and are stuck with that really long GOR that the league adopted a few years ago. If the Big 10 wants 2 more quality teams.... and they think that the Pacs might make a move for tu/OU...... they might move first. The Big 10 has a quality TV contract, much better than what the Pacs have or are likely to have in the near future. The LHN situation would have to be dealt with but that's going to be true with any move that tu makes, other than going independent. The Big 10 has the academic snoot factor that appeals to the sips, just as much or more than the Pac does.

I'm not saying this will or should happen, just that it could and I don't think it's so far-fetched.
California Ag 90
AG
musicman55 said:

The rust belt continues to lose population to the south and west, and having 2 marquee athletic programs from a growing part of the country would help them.
its interesting that the 'rustiest' part of the B1G still draws the biggest crowds and most passionate fans. if anything the passion for B1G football has increased not decreased since rust set in.

Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, Penn State, Wisconsin all pack their huge houses every home game.

Some of the most passionate fan bases in the south are in economic laggard states compared to others (Bama, Miss, Arkansas). the states with most growth aren't really getting more passionate. Texas? other than A&M, not so much. Florida? pretty intense football fans there but more than they were historically? hard to say. Virginia? meh. Other than VT there's never been much passion for CFB in Virginia.

Iowaggie
AG
tyrone said:

Iowa state has been a bottom dweller for so long people forget they are even a power 5 school. They move the needle probably less than anyone, outside of maybe Purdue, or Indiana (or half the ACC). Kansas' only saving grace is basketball.

Just to be clear, my case for ISU isn't that they stand tall, but instead, after OU and Texas, we're arguing over tallest midget. Tech's position isn't strong right now. There are no strong 3rd & 4th candidates, and as mentioned earlier, the PAC will be hesitant to go to 14 instead of 16.

Kansas can claim AAU status and basketball.
OkSU can claim proximity to OU and at this point in time, the best in football of these other candidates.
Tech can claim that half their name is Texas.
If the unlikely PAC expansion did happen, and Colorado St, Fresno St, or SDSU were chosen, I'd be surprised, but not shocked they were picked over Tech or these other midgets.

At best, the only school that moves the needle right now of those is OkSU. Really, most schools don't move the needle.

These next few years would be a really bad time for any of those schools to be bad in football.

And no way does ISU go to the Big Ten.
Riding Pony Upon My Boat
AG
I agree with everything you said, I just don't think the PAC can take their ego out of it and make a logical decision like that. Iowa state wouldn't be a culture fit in the PAC and they'd all turn their noses up. To their own demise. That's why I see the PAC becoming less and less relevant until they change their way of thinking.
Redstone
AG
Bob Dylan said it
Gotta change my way of thinking

When the Big? implodes:
WGAF

We rich!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.