What team could be ranked 7th in conference and 10th in the nation?

6,444 Views | 40 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by goodAg80
goodAg80
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Phil Steele says horns #10 in the country

Quote:

10. TEXAS
Steele: "When I talked to head coach Tom Herman, he was very unhappy with the performance of 2017's RBs and OL (Texas avg. 3.6 YPC). He has talent to work with and if he gets that turned around, he has a top-notch defense and two veteran QBs. Texas was much better than its 7-6 record last year and the Longhorns were in my ESPN Vegas Top 25 power ratings all year long. The Horns' toughest road games are Kansas State, Oklahoma and Oklahoma State and they are my No. 2 surprise team (behind Florida)."

247Sports take: We like Texas, too, and are picking the Longhorns to finish no worse than second in the Big 12 this season.

USA Today says

Quote:

7. Texas

It would probably be more accurate to have Texas essentially tied with Oklahoma State and Iowa State in the Big 12 pecking order. Seeing the Longhorns in seventh is jarring for two reasons: one, this is a talented roster infused with one of the nation's top recruiting classes, and two, this is Tom Herman's second season. Good things happen for good coaches in Year 2. But the Longhorns are young in spots and unproven in others. The defense loses its two most impactful starters in Malik Jefferson and DeShon Elliott. Quarterback play needs to take a significant step forward. This is the boom-or-bust team in the Big 12 in 2018: Texas could explode in Herman's second year or remain an unpredictable bowl team that fails to crack the league's top three or four.
digging tunnels
AG
Big 12 is a power conference!!!!
DifferenceMaker Ag
Official member of the power bottom.
DatTallArchitect
AG
That is how click bait is made
stick93
AG
Phil Steele does this almost every year and local sports talk here goes crazy. Clickbait for the starving masses.

I tend to agree with the USA Today assessment. They could possibly be a surprise team in the Big 12 but everything will have to go right and...well, it is the Big 12 so it is not too far fetched that they could ruin Iowa State's homecoming.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Only in sports "journalism" could a no-nothing ***** like Steel not only maintain his job but brag about such great feats as:

Quote:

Over the past five years, 244 of the 274 teams that I have listed in my top rankings have made it to bowl eligibility and that is a solid 89 percent.

Wow, awesome Phil, your "top" teams ended up at least 6-6 by the end of the year.
Wildcat
AG
Note the sig, created during realignment when every idiot with a word processor was a "sportswriter".

Aegrescit medendo
Your Friend
This season could be special, Ags. I'm brimming with optimism
coolerguy12
AG
Your Friend said:

Optimistic you score a point on Iowa state or that you beat Kansas?
DatTallArchitect
AG
Your Friend said:

I love the grand optimism by you shirt sips. It's that much funnier when reality slaps you down.
Flexbone
Your Friend said:

Your QBs and OL suck. Even in the weakest league in America, that's not a recipe for "special."
vander54
S
FL_Ag1998 said:

Only in sports "journalism" could a no-nothing ***** like Steel not only maintain his job but brag about such great feats as:

Quote:

Over the past five years, 244 of the 274 teams that I have listed in my top rankings have made it to bowl eligibility and that is a solid 89 percent.

Wow, awesome Phil, your "top" teams ended up at least 6-6 by the end of the year.

Don't tell Phil but 5 wins can get you bowl eligible in some years.
World's worst proofreader
Ronnie Mund
Your Friend said:

Why are you the way you are?
AgDotCom
Quote:

Lets do the math here. 274 teams divided by 5 = 54.8

Is he saying he picks an average of 54.8 teams per year for his "top rankings"? And that 89% of them are bowl eligible.

If true, I think just about everyone on this board could do that, even the mouth breathers.
yell_on_6th st
AG
Your Friend said:

More dildos for the next swim party? Or did you and tipsucker make up?
Your Friend
Flexbone said:

Your Friend said:

Your QBs and OL suck. Even in the weakest league in America, that's not a recipe for "special."

You qbs and oline suck too and our defense is much better
tamc91
AG
First, this is about how the sips will do against their crappy schedule. How good or how bad the Aggies are has nothing to do with the post topic. Dude, get your head in the game.

Second, I have full confidence in our current coaching staff to improve the Ags overall perfor.ance on the field. Your kissing bandit, that remains to be seen.

Third, the way Jimbo is kicking Herman' s butt in head-to-head recruiting this year, the Aggies will continue to distance themselves from the sips. The programs probably won't be comparable in 2-3 years, even for someone who grasps at straws like you.

Joe Exotic
AG
Your Friend said:

Flexbone said:

Your Friend said:

The punter that made your defense is gone. And your team is in the Big12, and by default is soft.
vin1041
AG
BDF is still the same. It's either the sips or Sooners. Pick one.
stick93
AG
Perhaps my favorite part of their Use Your Delusion VIII(or s it IX?) Tour is how the Missouri bowl game finished off the mind *****ing that was last year. They won't acknowledge what the Tigers 6 game win streak actually was. It's more comforting to say that they beat the hottest SEC team going into bowl season. They also don't wanna talk about getting outgained in the bowl game yet their punter flipped the field for them ELEVEN times.

Never change horn fans. Never change.
goodAg80
AG
stick93 said:

Perhaps my favorite part of their Use Your Delusion VIII(or s it IX?) Tour is how the Missouri bowl game finished off the mind *****ing that was last year. They won't acknowledge what the Tigers 6 game win streak actually was. It's more comforting to say that they beat the hottest SEC team going into bowl season. They also don't wanna talk about getting outgained in the bowl game yet their punter flipped the field for them ELEVEN times.

Horn lost a lot on defense, but losing their punter might be the biggest loss.
Texasteasipper
stick93 said:

Uhhhhh.... this place was littered with posts screaming that Mizzoo was going to wax Texas prior to that game. My how that narrative changed very quickly. To me its a mediocre bowl win against a mediocre team in the grand scheme. Nothing more nothing less. But much better to win than to lose.
Joe Exotic
AG
Texasteasipper said:

stick93 said:

Uhhhhh.... this place was littered with posts screaming that Mizzoo was going to wax Texas prior to that game. My how that narrative changed very quickly. To me its a mediocre bowl win against a mediocre team in the grand scheme. Nothing more nothing less. But much better to win than to lose.

And your posts are littered with the exact same **** we heard about strong.
David_Puddy
AG
Your Friend said:

You really should have studied harder in High School, you Concordia dipsh-t.
David_Puddy
AG
Texasteasipper said:

stick93 said:

This place around this time last year was brimming with confidence that sh-t was about to f'ing change and Strong was the dead weight keeping your t-shirt team back from greatness. The the first game came around.....and you lost......to PH-KKING Maryland.....by double digits.......AT HOME

Good day, dildo
Ronnie Mund
Texasteasipper said:

stick93 said:

Uhhhhh.... this place was littered with posts screaming that Mizzoo was going to wax Texas prior to that game.
You actually remember what this place looked like 8 months ago? Why would you admit that level of obsession?
BESCo91
AG
I think the sips finish 8-4.
Loses to USC, TCU, OU, and OkSt.
SoTxAg
AG
Maryland will beat them.
Flexbone
BESCo91 said:

I think the sips finish 8-4.
Loses to USC, TCU, OU, and OkSt.
Tech will also beat them...again.
Flexbone
Your Friend said:

Flexbone said:

Your Friend said:

Our QBs and Oline were MUCH better than yours, and our defense will be much better than yours as well. Texas' defense wasn't good last year.
vander54
S
Flexbone said:

Your Friend said:

Flexbone said:

Your Friend said:

Our QBs and Oline were MUCH better than yours, and our defense will be much better than yours as well. Texas' defense wasn't good last year.

Our QB and OL are no doubt better than tu's. Statistically their defense was better but there are two issues. First they lost their key contributors on defense and second I don't think they would have looked as good playing against physical teams.
World's worst proofreader
Bottlehead90
AG
And how many quarterbacks will they lose to concussions

Flashdiaz
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

And how many quarterbacks will they lose to concussions

did they actually lose any? I thought the qb's kept playing with the concussions.
goodAg80
AG
Quote:

Concussion expert blasts Texas for putting Sam Ehlinger back in game after getting hit

Texas quarterback Sam Ehlinger gave Longhorn fans a brief scare after being hit late in Saturday's loss to Oklahoma.

Ehlinger's head went to the ground on a tackle and he lay motionless on the sideline for several seconds. But Ehlinger was back in the game for the Longhorns' next drive, the game's last.

Now a concussion expert is blasting Texas' decision to allow Ehlinger back into the game, appearing to doubt concussion protocol was properly followed.

Dr. Chris Nowinski, founder of Boston University's CTE (Chronic Traumatic Encephalopathy) program and a nationally known expert on the subject, said the time Ehlinger spent down is a "concussion sign and injury can't be ruled out that quickly." He tagged the NCAA and its Sports Science Institute in the tweet as well.

WC94
AG
Quote:

Official member of the power bottom.

So Texas is a bottom? Big surprise from a dildo diploma factory...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.