Sips lose another starter

10,006 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by RikkiTikkaTagem
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Holton Hill declares for draft, joining DeShon Elliot and Connor Williams in skipping their bowl game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/04/holton-hill-becomes-third-university-of-texas-player-to-declare-for-draft/amp/
goodAg80
AG
They are leaving out of love for their head coach.
W
AG
that's a lot of declarations for a 6-6 team
HeyMoe
AG
The Herman dynasty crumbling....sad to see.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
W said:

that's a lot of declarations for a Mensa level genius greatest coaching hire of all time coached 6-6 team
MetoliusAg
Can't blame 'em for wanting to find a new home.

Between the wet sloppy kisses on the cheek from the head coach and the constant screaming of orders to "show the coaches the color of your pee!"...
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
goodAg80 said:

They are leaving out of love for their head coach.

These guys didn't want to see what Herman had in store for them when they opened their bowl gift boxes.

Threadbare
Certainly not an auspicious start for Herman, but not totally surprising. There usually is some attrition with a new coach.

Next year might be a tough year for them (cue the obligatory "they're a young team"). I would say the verdict on Herman is still out, though.

If he succeeds, he'll be touted as a quirky genius, and they'll all give him a pass. if he fails, he'll be portrayed as some kind of maladjusted weirdo, and they'll all wonder how they could have ever hired him. (I don't think either description applies, for the record.)

But, way too early to write him off...
dreyOO
wbt5845 said:

Holton Hill declares for draft, joining DeShon Elliot and Connor Williams in skipping their bowl game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/04/holton-hill-becomes-third-university-of-texas-player-to-declare-for-draft/amp/

Another #metoo is tired of Herman's affection
Rascal
AG
Which sip defensive players were on the pre-season all BDF team? Was it just Poonah Ford or others?

Curious how their season performance panned out?

Serious Q as I didn't pay too much attention this year although I've read their D was highly ranked in 3rd Down efficiency right?
Threadbare
Rascal said:

Which sip defensive players were on the pre-season all BDF team? Was it just Poonah Ford or others?

Serious Q as I didn't pay too much attention this year although I've read their D was highly ranked in 3rd Down efficiency right?
From the few games I watched, their D wasn't bad. If it had been, it would have been an even bleaker year.
Kool
AG
What's with declaring for the draft early AND skipping the bowl game? Is this a new entitlement phenomenon?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TheHulkster
AG
Kool said:

What's with declaring for the draft early AND skipping the bowl game? Is this a new entitlement phenomenon?

Probably Jaylon Smith getting injured in his bowl game and costing himself millions of dollars when he dropped to the second round.
GiveEmHellBill
AG

Herman desperately trying to figure out if he has enough players to field a team for the bowl game......
Threadbare
Nice
EVA3
AG
I'm pretty sure all of these guys were Big 12 defensive player of the year.
Kool
AG
I certainly do understand that but then why would ANY senior play in a bowl game if not for a Natty? Didn't we have a pretty good player who came out last year as a junior and still did OK in the draft? If this bowl skipping trend continues I can't see these lower tier bowls generating much interest and wonder if a lot of them will go to the wayside.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Your Friend
Rascal said:

Poona, Malik, and Roach were preseason all conference. Poona and Malik had terrific seasons.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^^ and still went 6-6 and praying mizzou doesn't make it four losing seasons in a row.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG

plus Chris Warren III who is transferring.
Your Friend
Wasn't a starter
Schrute
Your Friend said:

Wasn't a starter
Who was the starting RB the first half of the season?
Your Friend
Porter I believe.
Schrute
Your Friend said:

Porter I believe.
I think you're wrong. It was Warren, who eventually got moved to TE, then eventually transferred.
91_Aggie
AG
Malik Jefferson 2017 stats
Tackles:
79 solo
31 assist
110 total
10 tackles for loss
4.0 sacks
0.0 Interceptions
1 imaginary turf toe injuries

Tyrel Dodson (A&M linebacker)
Tackles
47 Solo
49 Assist
96 Total (14 less than the Nazarene)
10 tackles for loss (equalled the Nazarene)
5.5 sacks (1.5 more than the Nazarene)
3 Interceptions with 1 returned for TD
0 Imaginary Turf Toe injuries
Your Friend
32 less solo tackles than Nazarene
Schrute
Your Friend said:

2 less seasons experience than water walker
Your Friend
I went back and checked. I was right. Warren got one start all season (SJST)
Orangutan
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Herman desperately trying to figure out if he has enough players to field a team for the bowl game......
Is that an adam's apple or a giant, pus-infected pimple?
Rascal
AG
Your Friend said:

How many of Malik's solo tackles were due to air raid heavy short pass plays compared to traditional running plays? Not trying to stir things up, but making a solo tackle in the open field in man or zone pass coverage is probably different than in the running game?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Your Friend said:

I went back and checked. I was right. Warren got one start all season (SJST)

so he was a starter.
Macarthur
Threadbare said:

Certainly not an auspicious start for Herman, but not totally surprising. There usually is some attrition with a new coach.

Next year might be a tough year for them (cue the obligatory "they're a young team"). I would say the verdict on Herman is still out, though.

If he succeeds, he'll be touted as a quirky genius, and they'll all give him a pass. if he fails, he'll be portrayed as some kind of maladjusted weirdo, and they'll all wonder how they could have ever hired him. (I don't think either description applies, for the record.)

I think next year is going to be a tough year. Their defense was pretty decent and they have about 4 or 5 guys that will get drafted. That defense is going to lose quite a bit.
Your Friend
Macarthur said:

Threadbare said:

I think next year is going to be a tough year. Their defense was pretty decent and they have about 4 or 5 guys that will get drafted. That defense is going to lose quite a bit.

DL: Losing Poona in the middle will hurt. Nelson flashed some this season so there's some hope next year.

LB: Biggest drop off. Malik was the QB of the defense and losing him will hurt. The emergence of Gary Johnson was a nice surprise though.

DB: losing Hill and Elliott will def hurt, but there's experienced depth in the secondary and an historic db class will be signing in Feb.
MetoliusAg
Malik? Lol.

Poona is your biggest loss on defense. By far.

We used to be LBU during the Wrecking Crew era. We know "a bit" about great linebackers and what good linebacking play actually looks like. We're your big brother. Trust us on this one.
Joe Exotic
AG
Poona might barely crack our 2-deep.

Might.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.