T Boone Pickens

9,485 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Synopsis
Aggie1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A $250M 'oasis': Oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens puts prized Texas Panhandle ranch on the market
DALLAS - Legendary Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens has put a for-sale sign on his beloved Mesa Vista Ranch.
The ranch is Pickens' most prized possession. The 89-year-old founder of Dallas-based BP Capital Management has spent more than half of his life creating a Lone Star spread that even L.A. moviemakers would find a reality stretch.
It's a site where big deals have been made and celebrities entertained.
A mere $250 million will give the right buyer title to this 64,809-acre (give...

Fast Facts: T Boone Pickens

Fast facts: T Boone Pickens
Born May 22, 1928, in Holdenville, Okla.
Family moved to Amarillo in the late 1930s
Attended Texas A&M on basketball scholarship
Lost scholarship and transferred to Oklahoma State University
Has donated nearly $500 million to Oklahoma State University (roughly $1 billion to all causes, including OSU)
1956: Created Mesa Petroleum by merging Petroleum Exploration Inc. and Altair Oil and Gas Co.
1969: Appointed to West Texas State University Board of...

Tom Hagen
AG
I bet that stays on the market a few decades. Anyone with $250 million to spend on a homestead won't be spending it in Pampa, TX.
Potcake
AG
It's a nice ranch and it probably has an airstrip.
Token
AG
the ranch is in the freaking panhandle, not beverly hills. pass
HTownAg98
The place doesn't even have a swimming pool.
Ragoo
AG
HTownAg98 said:

how many lakes do you need?
goodAg80
AG
Would he take 250K?

MaterialAg
AG
He's wasted a lot of his money and is trying to liquidate that dinosaur before he dies and his kids get to split up $5m for it.
HTownAg98
Ragoo said:

HTownAg98 said:

how many lakes do you need?

My hoes aren't swimming in an algae infested lake.
Canyon99
It's a damn nice place and is a quail hunting dream. Probably has an airstrip? No *****
45-70Ag
AG
Watch Ted turner buy it.
******* owns more land than anyone
DifferenceMaker Ag
Can you imagine the herpes spores floating around on that place??
MelvinUdall
goodAg80 said:

Would he take 250K?

For you to wash his balls, absolutely.
goodAg80
AG
nhayden said:

goodAg80 said:

Would he take 250K?

For you to wash his balls, absolutely.
Your mind works in weird ways, amigo.
Aggie1
AG

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/t-boone-house/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Week%20in%20Texas%2012-2-17&utm_content=Week%20in%20Texas%2012-2-17+CID_a50ce6756f641f8372dc63c955710cd8&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=For%20250%20Million%20You%20Can%20Buy%20T%20Boone%20Pickenss%20Panhandle%20Ranch

Quote:

In July, legendary oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens was briefly hospitalized after suffering a "Texas-sized fall," which prompted him to write an emotional LinkedIn post that grappled with his mortality. Four months later, Pickens put Mesa Vista, his nearly 65,000-acre ranch in the Texas Panhandle, on the market for $250 million.
"Selling the ranch is the prudent thing for an 89-year-old man to do,"Pickens explained in a statement included in the property's listing, which is being jointly handled by real estate brokers Hall and Hall and Chas S. Middleton and Sons. "It's time to get my life and my affairs in order."
In his case, those "affairs" include a ranch boasting its own airport, beer pub, fifty-dog kennel, and twelve miles of artificial water features. Pickens purchased the first piece of the ranch2,900 acres along the south side of the Canadian River in Roberts Countyin 1971. Back then the only structure on the property was a livestock feed house that Pickens used to keep warm while quail hunting.
Pickens has made a few improvements over the years. In 1988 he began constructing the Lodge, now a 25,000-square-foot compound with sleeping quarters and meeting spaces. Near the compound are two guest houses, the pub, the chapel, the gun room, the kennel, a tennis court, a skeet/trap range, and a golf course with two fairways and greens. In 2000, Boone began building a San Simeon-esque castle that now stands atop an artificial hill overlooking an artificial lake.
Mesa Vista is being offered to buyers as a "turn-key" purchase, meaning that they'll get everything on the property minus Pickens's art collection and his herd of 400 cattle, which are available to be purchased separately. Even the ranch hands are up for grabs: the property's prospectus informs buyers that "very devoted, generally long-term employees are in place on the ranch, and these employees are interested in staying and continuing on with new ownership."
Count us as interestedjust as soon as we can rustle up a quarter-billion dollars.

beanbean
A Mexican drug cartel could by it. Nice little place for meetings and retreats in the US and could serve as a distribution hub with that air strip. Bring some flamingos and a tiger in. It would be perfect.
SidetrackAg
AG
I like the way you think
goodAg80
AG
brucoh said:

A Mexican drug cartel could by it. Nice little place for meetings and retreats in the US and could serve as a distribution hub with that air strip. Bring some flamingos and a tiger in. It would be perfect.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-daily-post/t-boone-house/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Week%20in%20Texas%2012-2-17&utm_content=Week%20in%20Texas%2012-2-17+CID_a50ce6756f641f8372dc63c955710cd8&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=For%20250%20Million%20You%20Can%20Buy%20T%20Boone%20Pickenss%20Panhandle%20Ranch

Quote:

In July, legendary oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens was briefly hospitalized after suffering a "Texas-sized fall," which prompted him to write an emotional LinkedIn post that grappled with his mortality. Four months later, Pickens put Mesa Vista, his nearly 65,000-acre ranch in the Texas Panhandle, on the market for $250 million.
"Selling the ranch is the prudent thing for an 89-year-old man to do,"Pickens explained in a statement included in the property's listing, which is being jointly handled by real estate brokers Hall and Hall and Chas S. Middleton and Sons. "It's time to get my life and my affairs in order."
In his case, those "affairs" include a ranch boasting its own airport, beer pub, fifty-dog kennel, and twelve miles of artificial water features. Pickens purchased the first piece of the ranch2,900 acres along the south side of the Canadian River in Roberts Countyin 1971. Back then the only structure on the property was a livestock feed house that Pickens used to keep warm while quail hunting.
Pickens has made a few improvements over the years. In 1988 he began constructing the Lodge, now a 25,000-square-foot compound with sleeping quarters and meeting spaces. Near the compound are two guest houses, the pub, the chapel, the gun room, the kennel, a tennis court, a skeet/trap range, and a golf course with two fairways and greens. In 2000, Boone began building a San Simeon-esque castle that now stands atop an artificial hill overlooking an artificial lake.
Mesa Vista is being offered to buyers as a "turn-key" purchase, meaning that they'll get everything on the property minus Pickens's art collection and his herd of 400 cattle, which are available to be purchased separately. Even the ranch hands are up for grabs: the property's prospectus informs buyers that "very devoted, generally long-term employees are in place on the ranch, and these employees are interested in staying and continuing on with new ownership."
Count us as interestedjust as soon as we can rustle up a quarter-billion dollars.

Hmm. Reminds me of my first summer home. Very quaint.
aggiederelict
I know his grandson. He said a few years ago he was looking for a buyer. I believe he sold his plane or one of them as well.

He said he wasn't a billionaire any more. Have no idea if that is true.
VanZandt92
That house is ugly as hell.
Aggie1
AG
QUOTE OF THE DAY
"At 89, anything with the word 'crypt' in it is a real turnoff for me."
Dallas billionaire T. Boone Pickens, responding to the Twitter query, "Good Afternoon Mr. Pickens! What are your thoughts on Cryptocurrency?"
LonghornDub
SidetrackAg said:

I like the way you think
I like the way goodAg thinks.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

Hollywood Hogan
VanZandt92 said:

That house is ugly as hell.
I agree. That's one of the reasons i have withdrawn my name from consideration as a buyer.
Madman
AG
It would be a good place for one of the Saudi royals to hide from the current corruption sweep in the kingdom.

Easy to have a gunfight with nobody noticing.
Aggie1
AG
https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/t-boone-pickens-selling-ranch/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20State%20of%20Texas%2005-30-18&utm_content=The%20State%20of%20Texas%2005-30-18+CID_c5cc163502c51c125ce78394e87fa222&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=Read%20Story

T. Boone Pickens on Selling the Ranch

The entrepreneur and financier confronts mortality in the most Texan of ways: by putting his beloved ranch on the market.
MaterialAg
AG
Aggie1 said:

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/t-boone-pickens-selling-ranch/?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=The%20State%20of%20Texas%2005-30-18&utm_content=The%20State%20of%20Texas%2005-30-18+CID_c5cc163502c51c125ce78394e87fa222&utm_source=Campaign%20Monitor&utm_term=Read%20Story

T. Boone Pickens on Selling the Ranch

The entrepreneur and financier confronts mortality in the most Texan of ways: by putting his beloved ranch on the market.
He's been trying to rip someone off on that ranch since he ran low on cash a few years ago. His kids are going to be disappointed with what an auction brings.
HeyMoe
AG
I'll start the bidding at $1.00
MaterialAg
AG
$3.50
APHIS AG
Token said:

the ranch is in the freaking panhandle, not beverly hills. pass
That sucks!!!
Synopsis
Champ Bailey said:

Aggie1 said:

Quote:

Hmm. Reminds me of my first summer home. Very quaint.
Why is there such a difference between the first picture in the above post and the rest? Not the same place, look at the amount of trees in the first pic surrounding the house, as well as the style of house itself.
Your Friend
Looks the same to me
CanyonAg77
AG
Does anyone know the back story of why he didn't have success at A&M and went to Oklahoma State?
IDAGG
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Does anyone know the back story of why he didn't have success at A&M and went to Oklahoma State?
Didn't he want to play basketball at A&M and couldn't, or didn't get a scholarship? I thought it was something along those lines.
CanyonAg77
AG
Found something myself

https://thequad.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/06/19/a-missed-opportunity-for-texas-am/
Quote:

T. Boone Pickens is well known as the premier benefactor for the Oklahoma State athletic department. But, according to Pickens, things could have been different.
In a recent interview with Berry Tramel of The Oklahoma, Pickens mentioned that he had gone to Texas A&M on a basketball scholarship, before leaving when the scholarship was taken away. As a man who has made billions of dollars, Pickens has obviously has the last laugh on that one, as this quote demonstrates:
Quote:

I was good at all sports. I was a high school basketball player. I went to Texas A&M in 1947 on a basketball scholarship. I left because they cut me off the team. That could have been a big mistake by Texas A&M, saving that $25 scholarship.

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.