So, the story about the Miss State fan blogger being the real detective of OM

2,139 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Basketball and Chain
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Some quotes here stand out to me in the context of things that are discussed on this board.

Quote:

Rumor fuels message boards, the public squares of college sports; it makes minor celebrities of men (they're always men) with vague "sources" who manage to see the world more clearly than the people who are actually paid to write about that world. What marks Robertson as different from this familiar archetype is what he did next. In fits and spurts, over the course of a few years, Robertson became the journalist he thought other actual journalists were refusing to be.

Quote:

Robertson knew there were boots on the ground all over the state, but he was hesitant to say anything publicly. Instead, he figured he would farm the story out to those with the institutional power to investigate.

"Absolutely nobody was interested," he says. "One thing I've learned about sports journalists, a lot of them wanna just go to the ballgame, get good seats, and eat free food."

Quote:

"On the one hand," he writes in his book, "you had a popular administrator, Bjork, making claims in the paper that most Mississippians have turned to for news within their state for decades. On the other hand, there was this long-haired, tattooed, Mississippi State Bulldog's sports writer, riding a wave of popularity, which social media and message boards had provided, who was the lone voice among media outlets calling the whole Ole Miss message into question.

Quote:

To Robertson, the fact that Ole Miss was hiding the names of the boosters and supporters listed in the NCAA's letter was unreasonableother schools faced with the same dilemma, he discovered, had revealed the names of their boosters. So he did some digging, figured out what names were behind the redactions, and then went on The Boneyard with an offer to give them to any reporter who asked. None did. To Robertson, the incuriosity of the state's reporting press was absurd. Here he was offering a huge scoop involving the biggest sports story in Mississippi and no one would take him up on it. "The longer I waited for in-state media to do anything, the more frustrated I got," he says. "I just thought to myself, 'What are these people doing with their lives?'"

https://deadspin.com/the-mississippi-state-fan-who-took-his-revenge-on-ole-m-1819064586?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_twitter&utm_source=deadspin_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
Not unreasonable. Ol' Miss is the more prestigious university, when compared to Miss St. No local sports journalist wanted to lose access to the gravy train that Ol' Miss provided to them, nor did they want to bring down the program that beat Bama in consecutive years and won a Sugar Bowl.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
Was posting about this on forum 5. Definitely some correlations with the sips. I have no doubt similar patterns would be found in Austin
MetoliusAg
(Sarcasm alert)

Hey, c'mon now, be reasonable.

The AAS has probably assigned three or four of their best investigative reporters to dig for the truth on UT's Ticketgate scandal.

And you know they're also bound to be investigating why VY was handed a $100k per yr entry level job by UT.

They're a real newspaper, right? With lots of real journalists from UT's journalism school.

The AAS wouldn't turn a blind eye to UT scandal after UT scandal after UT scandal happening right under their noses!

Err, right?
Madman
AG
It works the same way in National Politics. Why should a journalist do any work when they can just report what is given to them to report? Why risk your access to elected officials by digging up dirt or exhibiting independent thought?

Plus you get invited to some parties and treated like you are one of the elite.
Bottlehead90
AG
Yep. Most journalists just repeat the talking points.

Critical thinking is not a requirement or encouraged.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Epic
BBRex
AG
To be fair, sports reporters get a fair of offers for "inside scoops" that fall apart after little more than first inspection. You sort of get used to ignoring those sorts of reports unless you know the source or he's got information you can prove independently before you publish.
Basketball and Chain
AG
BBRex said:

To be fair, sports reporters get a fair of offers for "inside scoops" that fall apart after little more than first inspection. You sort of get used to ignoring those sorts of reports unless you know the source or he's got information you can prove independently before you publish.
so they want someone else to do their job for them?

how much do they really work if they only have to report the sports news and not actually chase stories down?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.