Sips Care More About Winning Than Their Players' Safety

8,503 Views | 63 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiehawg
GoodOldAgs
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Completely disgusting and unnaceptable. Why would any parent allow their kid to play for this coach?
HTownAg98
Holy *****
pinche gringo
AG
Incredible. That kid didn't know what planet he was on.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Tom Herman should be fired by the NCAA and never allowed to coach again.

And that has nothing to do with my hatred of the sips. That was just a sorry POS thing to do no matter what coach/team combo did it.
Mike04Ag
AG
wow.
jefe95
AG
Watch the fingers go stiff and extended on his left hand.

He didn't voluntarily do that. Brain said WTF????
aTm2004
AG
The highlight didn't show Huggie Herman giving the boo boo a kiss and making it better.
ArticPenguin:
I am a middle aged lesbian with two children. In Texas, the GOP would love to claim I am an unfit parent and take my children.

Response when pressed for proof:
I actually have 6 links, and was getting super pissed the more info I looked up...So, look it up yourself, I am not going to fight about something I know to be true, to a person who would just as soon see me in prison or dead.
https://texags.com/forums/16/topics/2948036/replies/51680255
goodAg80
AG
Quote:

When new Texas Longhorns head coach Tom Herman coached for the Houston Cougars, one of his staples was intensely physical practices known as "Bloody Tuesdays."

"Our coaches throw the hardest stuff they can throw at them on a Tuesday and put them in the toughest positions on a Tuesday," Houston head coach Tom Herman said. "We want to see them go really hard, play really physical, really fast and then we've got four days to correct the assignments."

As the name suggests, those practices don't happen in shells at half speed full contact, full pads, full speed.

Herman believes that those practices help establish the team's identity. Given his record against top opponents, it's difficult to completely argue against those practices as helping instill the physicality that was a defining feature of those two Cougars teams.

"Our goal is, train harder and more physical than any program in the country," Herman told ESPN last fall. "We like to think that we practice so hard that the games are easy."

However, it's not the only way to go about things.

In Stillwater, Cowboys head coach Mike Gundy has been moving in an opposite direction taking it easier on his players in an effort to keep them fresh.

Instead of using the allocated 20 hours of practice time per week, Gundy limits Oklahoma State players to practices that last no longer than an hour and 45 minutes with limited hitting and no swearing by the coaches. Meetings last no longer than 40 minutes.

"There's only so many hits in their bodies, their heads, their necks, their shoulders," Gundy said at the AFCA convention last week.

Likewise, Gundy's research indicated that limited attention spans keep long meetings from having a high level of effectiveness.

The changes were instituted recently by the longtime Oklahoma State coach prior to last season's loss to Ole Miss in the Sugar Bowl, Gundy pushed his team hard in practice in an effort to gain an edge in what he anticipated would be a physical game.

The approach didn't work, as the Cowboys got pounded in the running game by the Rebels and lost by 28 points.

Gundy worried about the new approach in the lead up to playing Colorado in the Alamo Bowl this season, but it worked, perhaps helping to impact the 28-8 win that featured a reversal of the run-game trends from the Sugar Bowl.

Throughout the season, Gundy said that the team suffered from fewer injuries and was able to come back from deficits more often.

"It has to be fun," Gundy said. "If it's not fun for them, if their shoulders are hurting, if they're worn out from fatigue, they're not going to play hard."

On the other hand, Herman's teams at Houston suffered from significant injury issues, especially along the offensive line, perhaps contributing to late-season losses, including to UConn in 2015 and a regular season-ending loss to Memphis in 2016, in addition to two October losses following non-conference games against Oklahoma and Cincinnati.

In the Ivy League, the conference outlawed full-contact hitting in regular-season practices last spring, following in the steps of Dartmouth coach Buddy Teevens, who hadn't allowed tackling in practice for the previous five seasons.

Teevens, who has coached at major programs in the past, like Florida under Steve Spurrier, came to his conclusions after noticing that concussions tended to happen the most frequently during the spring and preseason camp and learned that Jeff Fisher's St. Louis Rams didn't tackle in the preseason.

The reduction of tackling raises questions about the ability to foster the culture of toughness that Herman is seeking through his Bloody Tuesdays. However, Teevens doesn't believe that the reduction has an impact on the team's toughness.

"My attitude is you won't make a guy get tougher with hitting at practice," he told CBSSports.com. "I think you can improve his tackling technique and assignment. I have guys that have become very capable tacklers who are not the toughest guys on the football team. Why? They practice it a lot more."

Moreover, injuries, concussions, and missed tackles decreased at Dartmouth, with only two concussions during the 2015 season. By comparison, Houston players suffered six concussions during the 2016 preseason camp alone.

"It's like beating your head against a wall for two and a half hours," middle linebacker Matt Adams said of Houston's practices.

That might explain the concussions, though Herman is quick to argue that he isn't a "heathen butcher" putting his players through a "meatgrinder."

One reason for Dartmouth's ability to survive the lack of live tackling in practice may have been the use of a "mobile virtual player" for tackling drills in addition to the usual stationary pads. That way, Teevens said, the Big Green actually tackle more than many other programs, it just isn't players tackling each other.

And the change didn't just result in reduced injuries the 2015 season saw Dartmouth win the Ivy League crown for the first time in nearly two decades as the defense led the FCS in scoring and yards per play.

So there are are now at least two programs that have found success with this approach, which also considers the long-term consequences of human brains suffering so much impact.

Of course, Herman won't apologize for the way that he coaches.

"I don't know that it has to [be the only way], but it's the one proven way so far," he said last fall.

In terms of winning championships, he might be correct, but Gundy and Teevens are proving that there is another way to win, one that might even increase the odds of doing so by reducing injuries.
GoodOldAgs
Why aren't more people talking about this? I am appalled Herman hasn't been publicly crucified for this. This is pretty ****ing terrible guys. I can't believe ANYONE could get away with that...
jja79
AG
Dabo Swinney did something similar Friday night. Bryant couldn't move and he left him in until until he was finally knocked out cold.
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

Why aren't more people talking about this? I am appalled Herman hasn't been publicly crucified for this. This is pretty ****ing terrible guys. I can't believe ANYONE could get away with that...

Because no one watches big 12 football.

But seriously though, sips get the benefit of the doubt from media either because they're sympathetic or because getting on UTs ****list as a reporter means that you aren't allowed access to one of the main programs in the state, which makes you expendable as an employee.

weve seen it happen over and over again
MetoliusAg
GoodOldAgs said:

Good question. This is just my opinion:

The Austin American-Statesman's sports journalism department has largely been transformed into a defacto public relations organization for UT Athletics for the past several years. They have even added staff who benefit and aid UT Athletics' recruiting efforts under the guise of "providing recruiting coverage".

So, no, this is not a story they would dig into and instigate coverage of internally. They will turn a blind eye to it more than likely.

However, if other news media (like Yahoo Sports & HouChron) or social media like email, twitter, message boards, and facebook create talk about it and put enough of a spotlight on it, then the AAS will feel obligated to do some reporting on it.

The above twitter blast, for example. The more retweets and shares it gets, the more pressure it puts on the AAS and other local media to inquire and report about it.

@dennisdoddcbs
@petethamel
@cfb
@brucefeldmancfb
@greggdoyelcbs
@yahooforde
@danwetzel
@espnandykatz
@darrenrovell

I don't have a twitter account. But the above are the types of national sports media members to share news stories with, if you want local media to be forced to report a regional story they're lagging on.

Again, just my opinion. But judging from the broadcast, Ehlinger looked concussed. I was shocked Herman and the UT medical people okayed him to return to the field.
aTm papi
jefe95 said:

Watch the fingers go stiff and extended on his left hand.

He didn't voluntarily do that. Brain said WTF????

Noticed that too. It looks like a UFC fighter getting KO'd.
Cepe
Post removed:
by user
DatTallArchitect
AG
etcetera said:

GoodOldAgs said:

Good question. This is just my opinion:

The Austin American-Statesman's sports journalism department has largely been transformed into a defacto public relations organization for UT Athletics for the past several years. They have even added staff who benefit and aid UT Athletics' recruiting efforts under the guise of "providing recruiting coverage".

So, no, this is not a story they would dig into and instigate coverage of internally. They will turn a blind eye to it more than likely.

However, if other news media (like Yahoo Sports & HouChron) or social media like email, twitter, message boards, and facebook create talk about it and put enough of a spotlight on it, then the AAS will feel obligated to do some reporting on it.

The above twitter blast, for example. The more retweets and shares it gets, the more pressure it puts on the AAS and other local media to inquire and report about it.

@dennisdoddcbs
@petethamel
@cfb
@brucefeldmancfb
@greggdoyelcbs
@yahooforde
@danwetzel
@espnandykatz
@darrenrovell

I don't have a twitter account. But the above are the types of national sports media members to share news stories with, if you want local media to be forced to report a regional story they're lagging on.

Again, just my opinion. But judging from the broadcast, Ehlinger looked concussed. I was shocked Herman and the UT medical people okayed him to return to the field.
Somebody with a twitter account needs to retweet that with those usernames attached to it!
Kyle04
AG
I hope someone with a heart steps in and saves this kid

Most people on Hornfans.com don't seem to realize what's going on. A few get it...
https://www.hornfans.com/threads/i-know-that-th.105377/
GoodOldAgs
Kyle04 said:

I hope someone with a heart steps in and saves this kid

Most people on Hornfans.com don't seem to realize what's going on. A few get it...
https://www.hornfans.com/threads/i-know-that-th.105377/

Pathetic how most of them are either intentionally misdirecting or shamelessly want them to run the Ehlinger into the ground and risk his health for a win. One guy said they should keep him in there as long as he was "walking or crawling". They don't give a damn about their players. Disgusting.
always gig em
AG
didn't notice the fingers until the video, but wow, poor kid

also, how does tom herman not at least say something to him or kneel down to him to check on him? just stood there and did nothing

if the sips think they're gonna win by playing kids who are clearly hurt they're sadly mistaken. ehlinger laid there like a fish and didn't move for awhile, how do you in good conscience play him again in that game?
MetoliusAg
Wow. Several horns in that thread saw it happen and think he was knocked unconscious.

Yet most of the horn fans in that thread don't even care if he was knocked out. They were only concerned with getting him back into the game asap.

The regional sip media haven't shown any concern either. I bet they start to on Monday if national media's sports reporters begin asking questions.
Muy
AG
Watching it live I told my son "he's done", they have to play Buchelle. Then a couple plays later they trot him back out there. Sad.
TCSD84
Ehlinger parents ought to be concerned. But maybe they're not. Win at all cost.
Artimus Gordon
Erlinger looks like he is "touched" in the head already. Maybe that wasn't his first concussion. And of course Tom Herman doesn't look like he is playing with a full deck either, with those crazy eyes. So maybe Herman didn't notice how messed up the kid really was.
Ragoo
AG
Remember david ash? He doesn't.
OPAG
AG
Clay Travis needs to see this thread. He will definitely get it out.
SpringAg92
Okay so I clicked on this and was reading the twitter responses... I saw someone tag some recruits. Was not sure what I thought about that, but clicked on a few that were tagged to see if they had any response. When I looked at Brown's twitter I see him responding to someone who is supposedly an Aggie. Pike someone & what looks to be their father. Disgusting. I hope these guys are not Ags

(Comments were unrelated to this subject - I was just hoping someone with twitter could tell this young man this is not how Aggies are).
The Collective
AG
Damn, first seeing this video as I didn't watch their game. That is messed up.
BohunkAg
AG
Tagging recruits is garbage. They'll see if they need to. Not up to some keyboard warrior jabronis to point it out.
Our-turn-to-rule
AG
That is seriously F'd up and Herman along with all of tu staff should be held accountable and answer how/why they let this happen
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Lots of whorns saying he just had the wind knocked out of him. Pathetic.
GrapevineAg
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

We've seen what happens to people on ESPN who make disparaging or derogatory remarks about t.u. - remember Jesse Palmer apologizing for demonstrating the horns-down? I seem to recall reading something in the LHN contract that basically forbids it. There are also t.u. alums working for ESPN (outside of the LHN) - I'm sure they'll do their best to keep things quiet.
The Collective
AG
AgOutsideAustin said:

Lots of whorns saying he just had the wind knocked out of him. Pathetic.

lol, they wouldn't have taken him to the magical tent if he had the wind knocked out of him.
David_Puddy
AG
Disgusting
Muy
AG
Obviously not a shoulder injury and it is scary seeing him lay there motionless, and the coaches still making the decision to put him back out there.
TexAg1987
Billy just mentioned that he looked wrong after the game in the tunnel. Any video of that?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.