Herman gets a free pass on playing a concussed QB?

7,787 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by goodAg80
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ehlinger was knocked the **** out on the late drive. Yet he's put back in just a few plays later. In the era of CTE and concussion protocol, how the hell does this happen without the coach getting called on the carpet? (Rhetorical queation, we know the answer).

His decsion to just airmail a give-up throw into the bleachers on 4th down a few plays later also made it pretty clear his head was jacked.

Yesterday
AG
I thought the same thing with the South Carolina QB in our game. The last few plays he could barely stand up.
Aggie Joe 93
AG
Dude, Herman obviously kissed it and made the boo boo all better.
TCSD84
DannyDuberstein said:

Ehlinger was knocked the **** out on the late drive. Yet he's put back in just a few plays later. In the era of CTE and concussion protocol, how the hell does this happen without the coach getting called on the carpet? (Rhetorical queation, we know the answer).

His decsion to just airmail a give-up throw into the bleachers on 4th down a few plays later also made it pretty clear his head was jacked.

Herman said he was fine. Kissed the same after the hit as before. Cleared to play.
Raid05
AG
Ehlinger looked knocked out for a good 20 sec. I was really surprised to see him jogged back in, and when he threw the ball away on 4th down I said there was no way he didn't have a concussion.
No Bat Soup For You
AG
Someone on Twitter should tweet that sequence out to all their commit's and target's parents. Make sure they know how much Herman really cares about their children despite all the smooching.
Cuterebra
AG
He kisses them before the game because he knows they may not be alive or walking the next time he sees them.
Cedar Bayou Ag
AG
Strong did the same thing with Ash. Seems to be a pattern here with sip coaches not giving two shats, except their checking account, for player's healths
Eddie Vedder
Were any other sip players tweeting their desires to transfer to A&M during halftime yesterday?

I don't do Twitter, but was curious.
MetoliusAg
Great post, OP.

I watched yesterday's sip-OU game tape earlier this afternoon. One of my first thoughts was: "This guy is David Ash 2.0 in the making. If the sip coaches don't teach him to slide and force him to do it, this poor kid will have CTE before he's a junior in college."

Clearly the sip coaches don't care.

Then I looked up his stats, and my stomach turned.

Tom Herman ran this kid, who is a true freshman, 19, 20, and 22 times in his past 3 starts. And Ehlinger repeatedly tried to run over defenders.

I realize we're talking about the no-defense Big12. But even the bdf has some defenders who will ring his bell and pound him to the ground.

David Ash, as you'll recall, also suffered numerous other injuries in addition to several concussions: wrist, leg, shoulder, ribs, and foot. With that running style, injuries quickly become a cumulative issue.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, Ash was the first thing that came to mind when I saw him go back in. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, even with a moron like Herman. These days the protocol is intended to protect the player from a nutbag coach. But I would imagine Herman has that entire dept running scared. The fact he was knocked out should have been an automatic failure of any protocol test for the remainder that game, no matter how he answered questions after. If the lights go out, you are done.

Ehlinger already has an injury history from HS. He's not gonna last in this offense
SafetySam79
AG
Agreed that this a great post. Anybody know how long it takes to determine whether someone has a concussion? I ask this because of what we've learned about the real dangers involved when a player gets another concussion while the brain is still concussed.
Eddie Vedder
https://twitter.com/TamuHighlights/status/919692714119016448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F6%2Ftopics%2F2895484
DannyDuberstein
AG
If he was out - which it was clear he was, it requires no further evaluation. That player should be held out for the remainder of the game
Jack Squat 83
AG
hennyj15 said:

Someone on Twitter should tweet that sequence out to all their commit's and target's parents. Make sure they know how much Herman really cares about their children despite all the smooching.
Only confirms that swapping spit with his players is for his pleasure only - not to be mistaken for how much he actually cares. This kid's career will be a short one.

Wouldn't Hotlips be liable down the road if he disregarded the protocol?
GoodOldAgs
As a parent of a recruit after seeing this, how do you send your kid to play for Coach Herman with a clear conscience?
HTownAg98
If the team doctor didn't do a baseline test, he should lose his medical license and be sued for malpractice.
goodAg80
AG
SafetySam79
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

If he was out - which it was clear he was, it requires no further evaluation. That player should be held out for the remainder of the game

And then be closely monitored by a physician for a period of days, right?
SafetySam79
AG
GoodOldAgs said:

As a parent of a recruit after seeing this, how do you send your kid to play for Coach Herman with a clear conscience?
SafetySam79
AG
HTownAg98 said:

If the team doctor didn't do a baseline test, he should lose his medical license and be sued for malpractice.
SafetySam79
AG
goodAg80 said:

SafetySam79
AG
Eddie Vedder said:

https://twitter.com/TamuHighlights/status/919692714119016448?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F6%2Ftopics%2F2895484
DannyDuberstein
AG
SafetySam79 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

And then be closely monitored by a physician for a period of days, right?

Correct. There is a series of steps the player must progress thru to return to full clearance. But the first step is if they exhibit symptoms of a concussion - and loss of consciousness being numero uno, they should not return to play same day.
goodAg80
AG
I bet Master Tom had a big bonus coming to him from the boosters if he beat OU.
Jack Cheese
AG
You guys have it all wrong. He was just like that dude in Jerry Maguire! He did awesome break dancing moves and a headspin on the sideline when he woke up! 'Sall goooood
DD88
AG

Put me in coach. I'm ready to play.
HtownAg92
AG
DannyDuberstein
AG
So another hard hit today followed by a mind-boggling attempt to throw the ball away shortly afterward.

The next concussion always happens easier than the last one. Or maybe he just fell down a well (crosseyed Sam below)

https://twitter.com/RedditCFB/status/921825796351713280/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftexags.com%2Fforums%2F25%2Ftopics%2F2832319%2F356
Wildmen03
AG

DannyDuberstein
AG
Looks like a boxer after a knockdown when he's down on his knees and starts teying to get up.
MetoliusAg
holy sheet.

his head basketballed off the ground again.
DannyDuberstein
AG
etcetera said:

holy sheet.

his head basketballed off the ground again.

They keep insisting on running a completely moronic qb sweep with his slow ass and he gets pummeled. the concussions are going to pile up quickly because they are going to start coming on innocuous hits.
MetoliusAg
This is a tv remake of a movie that hit the movie theaters five years ago, flopped, and immediately went to dvd.

"The David Ash Story".
The Collective
AG
Didn't watch today. Are they still running him a ton? The kid is tough, but he also is the other extreme of Kyler. He doesn't protect himself at all.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.