Where were you 50 years ago on Saturday night, October 14, 1967?

2,647 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dog
Upperdeck Critic
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The setting was Jones Stadium in Lubbock. The Aggies came to play Texas Tech. Tech had beaten UT earlier in the season. A&M's record was 0-4 and had opened the '67 season with SMU on national television ( when usually only 1 game was shown on Saturday). The game had been moved from its usual November date to September for national television.
A&M lost to SMU 21 to 17 as Inez Perez led a late SMU comeback in the last minute after QB Edd Hargett hooked up with receiver Bob Long on an 80 yard TD pass for A&M to lead 17-13.
After that game, the Aggies lost games against LSU, Purdue ( in Dallas), and Florida State, all were close games.

The lead changed several time between the Aggies and the Red Raiders. TT scored a late touchdown to go ahead 24 to 21. With under a minute to play, TT kicked a squib kick which A&M took at their own 42. Hargett hit Long with a pass on 3rd down at the Tech 15. With 3 seconds left, Hargett's receivers were covered, so he ran toward the end zone. Running back Larry Stegent threw a key block ( Later it was reported that it was a clip) and Hargett scored and the kick by Charlie Riggs was true... A&M 28 TT 24. The rest of the season is history. The Aggies went to win all their conference games with a 10-7 win over Texas as Edd Hargett hit Bob Long again with a winning TD pass and the Aggie defense anchored by Schneider, Hobbs, Adami, Hallman, and Jones. There were a number of players who played key roles that season for A&M...Housley, Stegent, Buckman, Maxwell.... It was Housley who slashed through the Alabama defense for a 20 yard touchdown score to take the lead over Bear Bryant and the Tide and win the Cotton Bowl. Curley Hallman intercepted a Stabler pass to stop a Tide drive. This was my first SWC game and Aggie football game I attended. The ticket price was $ 6.50 for a good seat between the 20 and 30 yard lines on the home side. I saw a bunch of good Aggies in the Corps that night and all were friendly. I've always had this as a great memory of Gene Stallings and the Texas Aggies! Gig'em Aggies!
Bobby Petrino`s Neckbrace
I was actually at that game with my dad, class of '41.
ClassOf17
Celebrating my -30th birthday
MelvinUdall
On texags.com more than likely.
88jrt06
AG
Barely born, BUT with an Ag dad.
So was dangled out an F-150 at 110 mph.
olib
AG
Watching Johnny Quest or pretending to be Johnny Quest.
88jrt06
AG
Drop anything for a Johnny Quest episode.
Could have saved us all.
coyote68
Went to a rodeo between College Station and Houston. I listened to the first half on the radio. In those days , Humble Oil and Refining sponsored the radio broadcasts with Kern Tips as announcer. I did not know we won until around midnight when I went to Lou Anns at North Gate to eat and the watteess told me we won.
aggiejim70
AG
I was at Jim's Frontier on the Austin Hiway in San Antonio with the little redhead. I went nuts when Edd ran for the winning TD. Saw the little redhead this time last year at our 50th high school reunion. Not so little and not so red anymore.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
SafetySam79
AG
Upperdeck Critic said:

The setting was Jones Stadium in Lubbock. The Aggies came to play Texas Tech. Tech had beaten UT earlier in the season. A&M's record was 0-4 and had opened the '67 season with SMU on national television ( when usually only 1 game was shown on Saturday). The game had been moved from its usual November date to September for national television.
A&M lost to SMU 21 to 17 as Inez Perez led a late SMU comeback in the last minute after QB Edd Hargett hooked up with receiver Bob Long on an 80 yard TD pass for A&M to lead 17-13.
After that game, the Aggies lost games against LSU, Purdue ( in Dallas), and Florida State, all were close games.

The lead changed several time between the Aggies and the Red Raiders. TT scored a late touchdown to go ahead 24 to 21. With under a minute to play, TT kicked a squib kick which A&M took at their own 42. Hargett hit Long with a pass on 3rd down at the Tech 15. With 3 seconds left, Hargett's receivers were covered, so he ran toward the end zone. Running back Larry Stegent threw a key block ( Later it was reported that it was a clip) and Hargett scored and the kick by Charlie Riggs was true... A&M 28 TT 24. The rest of the season is history. The Aggies went to win all their conference games with a 10-7 win over Texas as Edd Hargett hit Bob Long again with a winning TD pass and the Aggie defense anchored by Schneider, Hobbs, Adami, Hallman, and Jones. There were a number of players who played key roles that season for A&M...Housley, Stegent, Buckman, Maxwell.... It was Housley who slashed through the Alabama defense for a 20 yard touchdown score to take the lead over Bear Bryant and the Tide and win the Cotton Bowl. Curley Hallman intercepted a Stabler pass to stop a Tide drive. This was my first SWC game and Aggie football game I attended. The ticket price was $ 6.50 for a good seat between the 20 and 30 yard lines on the home side. I saw a bunch of good Aggies in the Corps that night and all were friendly. I've always had this as a great memory of Gene Stallings and the Texas Aggies! Gig'em Aggies!

Completely forgot that Kenny Stabler was the Bama QB in the Cotton Bowl. Thanks for the write-up and the memories.
jrdaustin
AG
As far as I know I was sitting in my crib anticipating my 3 month birthday which would begin in just a few short hours.
BoerneGator
AG
I watched the game from the Aggie bench/sideline.

I was on the fish football team, and we were allowed to leave campus/go home for the first time. I rode to Lawton, Oklahoma with Dale Watts that Friday night. The next day, I caught a plane to Lubbock, and showed up for the game in class "A" summer uniform, while the FTAB and all other CT's were in class "A" winters! Talk about sticking out like a sore thumb, and feeling self-conscious as hell! But it mattered not, and what a glorious victory it was!

Afterwards, I looked up my "old" high school girlfriend (that I'd broken up with), but have no recollection of where I spent the night, or how I got back to Aggieland.
Chosen One
I was in Vietnam in waste deep rice patty inside my father's nuts. You bunch of hippie college boys were protesting me and my dad.

But I was one of the lucky ones, I almost got shot into some Vietnam Hoochie.
dog
AG
Was a fish that year. Was in Big D with my girl friend & her family. We went to the tu-OU game that afternoon. Her dad was a big tu fan. We were listening to the game on the radio. When Hargett scored on the games final play he was elated, as he thought Tech's loss to us would pave the way for tu to win the SWC.

Little did he know!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.