Ketch bloviates on what happened this weekend...

4,421 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Sandman98
Tony Tedeschi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How exactly did we get here?

For the better part of Saturday night and Sunday morning, I spent a lot of time giving that question serious thought.

I mean ... in the aftermath of Tom Herman's insane-in-retrospect hyperbole, this team actually being ranked coming off of a 5-7 season, non-stop 9-3 or better predictions and discussions on the Fox pre-game show about Texas being in the playoff within three seasons ...

How did we get here? Exactly.

I have a multi-part theory on how it all happened.

Part I: The overrating of the Texas talent.

All of this is connected to a slippery slope of connected parts, but let's start with this ... the Texas running backs, tight ends and offensive line are below average parts in reality, even more below average than Tom Herman could have imagined.

The trickle down was that when Herman saw a guy like Poona Ford make a play, there was a lot of fool's gold to be found in overvaluing what making that play really meant. At every layer of the defense, it was controlling its competing counterparts consistently and a couple of options for what it meant appeared.

a. The defense is really damn good.

b. The offense is so poor that it is making the defense appear to be much better than it really is.

Herman chose to believe the first option, in part because admitting that the second option was true was essentially an admission of multiple failures on the coaching staff in its quest to develop players over the course of the last eight months.

The coaches looked at all of those pretty players in pretty uniforms and underestimated how far the disease in the Texas program has spread in the last decade. Never in a million years did they think the players would blink like they did on Saturday in an actual game. It has rendered everything the coaches thought they knew about the team moot going into week two of the season.

Part II: The Media Got Drunk

Oh yeah, we played a role.

After seven straight seasons of failed benefits of the doubt, the media went all-in in giving Herman the benefit of the doubt before he had earned it in his new job.

Myself included (see my 9-3 season prediction, despite all of my admitted reasons for pause).

Herman hit the right note so many times on so many things during the off-season that we all just assumed anyone with his profile would lift this program above what it was a season ago.

The biggest thing it did to the media is that it created a force of push-back to reporting anything that wasn't pretty. In order to believe the team was going to go 9-3 or better, there needed to be enough pieces fitting together to justify that opinion. Throughout the last two weeks of camp, I've tried to be very slick in reporting that the offense had a very poor camp by dropping little snippets without giving the appearance that I was pissing on everyone's good-feel excitement.

Instead of trying to be slick, I needed to be screaming from the mountaintops, "This offense has looked like a hot mess!" I should have been more direct, but perhaps I let the potential push-back that I knew would come from reporting the struggles of the offense/quarterback (because it was significant throughout the off-season) impact the way I tried to be unassuming when dropping some of these hints (see my column from two weeks ago). I don't know what the exact answer is, but in retrospect I should have taken the heat at the expense of loud and clear disclosure.

Every media member let his or her confirmation bias kick in. We WANT to cover a good football team. It's great for business when the team is good.

Herman can sell a ketchup Popsicle to a room full of people wearing white coats and the media wasn't nearly as jaded with the handling of his first team as it has been for much of the last five years.

Point blank.

Part III: Herman drank the Kool-Aid

There's no reason to trace back over all of his commentary from the last month because I think most can remember at least one occasion when Herman said something about this team that expressed extreme confidence.

With practices closed and Herman providing near-daily updates, everyone trusted him when he spoke about the team because we all believe that he's a straight shooter when it comes to talking about his team. He had been so low on them in the spring, so when he started creating some hyperbole, it seemed to underscore his true thoughts on the team, even if a literal interpretation of what he was saying could be taken.

I think Herman significantly believed in this team going into Saturday. Because he seemed to believe so strongly, it made believing in his believing very easy to do.

Conclusion: When you add those three things together to create a super chaos baby, that's how the events of Saturday unfolded the way they unfolded from a perception standpoint from within.

That's my theory.

Let me know if you want me to post "the fix".
Mathguy64
AG
tlr

"I have less ability than a 2 year old Mongolian Yak when it comes to judging football talent but you idiots keep paying for this BS so who's fault is that?"
88jrt06
AG
Ketch is systematically being eliminated as a "force" of any kind in UT athletics. Call it liposuction. Years of inflating numbers artificially is very Ponzi. tu, in all its arrogance, aided and abetted, and may finally understand. We shall see. That's not saving Ketch, and he knows it.

As we learned w/Enron and other massive failures, there's a *vague* period followed by, well you know.

OK by me, let's watch the death rattle.
Hear he has a podcast.

Ketch, Karma done run over your Dogma.
In parting, *please* stop calling your kid "Hendrix". He may have a future. What's wrong with you?
YouBet
AG
Quote:

Part I: The overrating of the Texas talent.

All of this is connected to a slippery slope of connected parts, but let's start with this ... the Texas running backs, tight ends and offensive line are below average parts in reality, even more below average than Tom Herman could have imagined.

F'ing wow. More than Tom Herman imagined!? What about you, Ketch? You are indirectly responsible if not directly responsible for this.

Lol.
DatTallArchitect
AG
TLDR - "We (Tom Herman and the media) lied our butts off to you about how good this team was, but you can trust us now"
Aggie87
AG
I counted 3 references to eating or drinking. Well done, Ketch.
DayAg!
S
He has a lot of subscribers duped all to hell.
The Collective
AG
Quote:

Throughout the last two weeks of camp, I've tried to be very slick in reporting that the offense had a very poor camp by dropping little snippets without giving the appearance that I was pissing on everyone's good-feel excitement.

Propagandist
GAC06
AG
Quote:

Instead of trying to be slick, I needed to be screaming from the mountaintops, "This offense has looked like a hot mess!" I should have been more direct, but perhaps I let the potential push-back that I knew would come from reporting the struggles of the offense/quarterback (because it was significant throughout the off-season) impact the way I tried to be unassuming when dropping some of these hints (see my column from two weeks ago). I don't know what the exact answer is, but in retrospect I should have taken the heat at the expense of loud and clear disclosure.

If it wasn't for the dumbest fan base in sports, how would this idiot get away with saying this to paying customers? Yeah, I should have told you mouth breathers that the team sucks, but I was afraid you wouldn't like it. But I totally hinted at it before predicting a 9-3 season and a multi touchdown blowout over Maryland.

Next time though, I'll tell it like it is. Because I can totally tell, I just wasn't sure if you could take the truth.
chigger
AG
I literally cannot get past about maybe 10 lines of one of his posts. I've tried. I just can't do it.
AgDotCom
The value of college football analysis and opinion from people who never played one down of the game is lower than whale ****.

Then you have an even lower strata where Ketch resides. His words mean nothing, there is no value whatsoever.
elfurioso92
AG
Quote:

When you add those three things together to create a super chaos baby, that's how the events of Saturday unfolded the way they unfolded from a perception standpoint from within
Someone paid money to read that.

Brazos Born
Tony Tedeschi said:

Let me know if you want me to post "the fix".
We know "the fix". It's for Ketch to chug a gallon of bleach.
McInnis80
Ketch has a new future job, with the KCNA. Instead of speaking of the upcoming glories of the great leader Herman, Ketch can inform everyone about the wonderful triumph of the great leader Kim Jung un and Juche idea.
American Hardwood
AG
In my opinion, Ketch has actually veered closer to the truth than I have ever seen before. By close I mean that the gulf is still measured in astronomical units, but for that fatass, it's progress.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Quote:

Blow v. Ate (Eat)
This is a perfect summation of Ketch's state of consciousness...
petey88

Fat Ketch will be lucky if his grand kid wants to hear him sing karaoke in the garage soon
dreyOO
Ketch is a know-nothing fanboy hack. The fact that he doesn't know dick about assessing talent is no surprise to anybody.

However, the excuse he gives out to Herman is laughable. A D-1 coach is incapable of evaluating if Poona f-ing Ford is an All-American in the making or maybe possibly he's lining up against trash players? Hahahahahaha....ok, that's it.
MaterialAg
AG
if Ketch ever loses weight

88jrt06
AG
Just call me Slick Ketchum.
Father of Hendrix.
I pioneered a process: unlike mere humans, I can convert massive amounts of human food through my extensive gut-system into printed bull sheet. I'm big enough to extrude
feces through TWO species. I'm Slick, dad of Hendrix.
Fear me. I ruin septic systems with keystrokes.
tl;dr: I'm FOS Ketch.
Sandman98
AG
Yah but he's more famous than you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.