Frank Broyles, legendary Razorback coach and athletics director, dies at 92

2,244 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BoerneGator
Aggie1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
An example of how much the state of Arkansas follows and supports the Razorbacks...
The entire 5PM, 6PM and 10PM newscasts on all local network channels were devoted almost entirely to Coach Broyles and his achievements - (except for the weather as there has been local flooding... ).
He was active up until Alzheimer's and a stroke in June/July (differing reports from different sources).
He was 92.

http://katv.com/sports/hog-central/frank-broyles-legendary-razorback-coach-and-athletics-director-dies

Quote:

The legendary Razorback coach and athletics director, who suffered a stroke in July, died from complications of Alzheimer's Disease, according to his family.
Broyles was universally loved and provided continuity and stability for the Arkansas Football program since 1958 - so, for over 50 years he has been the figurehead for Razorback athletics. There are lessons to be learned from such stability and state-wide support for their most visible and successful team.
Texan1976
He and Royal were close friends. RIP to coach Broyles. His teams in the 60s were elite.
dcowboy808
AG
Texan1976 said:

He and Royal were close friends. RIP to coach Broyles. His teams in the 60s were elite.

Did he kiss those players? I hear that's what makes them elite.
petey88
Texan1976 said:

why don't you go mouth off at a Hogs Board, considering Bielema embarrassed the sips by being erotic ?

DKR sucks and was a racist. See how many guys they stockpiled that would never play, and they were Caucasian.

Broyles had 100 times more class than any sip football coach or AD.
txjortsagent
AG
good man, good life. a real pioneer.
aginlakeway
AG
Texan1976 said:

I didn't know Broyles was a racist like Royal. Was he?
Aggie1
AG
Coaches in the South/Southwest started integrating their teams in the mid-late 60's including Royal and Broyles. Royal's first black player was Julius Whitaker who first played in 1970. Broyles first black player was Darrell Brown who broke the color barrier as a walk-on in the Arkansas football program in 1966. But it wasn't until three years later, when Jon Richardson graduated from Little Rock's Horace Mann High School, that the Razorbacks recruited and signed a black player to a scholarship. Richardson went on to letter as a halfback from 1970-72. By the time Richardson enrolled at Arkansas, signing a black player didn't spark widespread public resistance as desegregation had already begun in Southern schools and college football programs.

When they, led by Bear Bryant at Alabama (first player in 1971, who observed USC and Big-10 success), Bill Yoeman at UofH (Warren McVea/1965), Hayden Fry at SMU (first to have a black athlete, Jerry Levias(1966), in the SWC), and Joe Kerbel at West Texas A&M (Mercury Morris (1965) yes, WT was a big time team in those days) saw their teams athleticism could be enhanced by integrating their teams, they did and were among the early pioneers to integrate their teams...

To claim they were "racist" is simply current day PC nonsense. That's just the way it was and how it evolved... Sure there was resistance because "that's not the way it had always been"... You have to remember that freshmen could not play on varsity in those years and had their own schedule against other freshman teams, usually played before the varsity game same day.

However, the part about no restrictions on numbers on a team is true - and DKR at t.u. was guilty, guilty, guilty of recruiting "depth" - so much so that most well knew they would never play a down or ever letter. It was not uncommon for t.u. to have 300-400 players suit up for try-outs and practices. Same for Nebraska and other powerhouses who recruited excessive numbers to keep good players from going to competition to play. That's just the way it was until team size limits were mandated to prevent more of the same. Since then, only the cream of the crop athletes make the rosters - which have been predominately black athletes since the mid-70's...

For the record In 1963 the first African-Americans enrolled at Texas A&M University. And, in 1967 Samuel Williams and James Reynolds became the first African-Americans to walk-on and make the squad during Gene Stallings time as head coach. Other early players included Hugh McElroy and Mike Bruton. Jerry Honore was the first football player who was recruited and coached by Gene Stallings. In 1970, Hugh McElroy became the first black player to start at Texas A&M in football. He was walk-on from the track team. Most known for the play in which he scored a TD with 13 seconds remaining to defeat LSU 20-18.

Also for the record, Gene Stallings was the A&M head football coach from 1965-1971 - those turbulent years of "change"... Stallings is noted as saying, in his opinion that recruiting African American players would cause disunity on the team. The 1970's marked the beginning of a new era that changed the face of football and athletics at the formerly all-white A&M. By the spring of 1972, and under A&M's new football coach Emory Bellard (who came over to A&M from t.u.), the recruitment of African-American football players began in earnest. Since the mid-1970s, African-Americans have dominated A&M football just like all the other programs in the South and Southwest.

Of course the traditionally black college football powerhouses have suffered including Grambling, Texas Southern, Prairie View, Tennessee State, Florida A&M, Alcorn, Southern, South Carolina State, Hampton, Central State, Langston, etc.
MaterialAg
AG
Broyles' integration began in 1957. Do the math.
Aggie1
AG
MaterialAg said:

I would be interested in a link to prove your statement.
petey88
Aggie1 said:

Coaches in the South/Southwest started integrating their teams in the mid-late 60's including Royal and Broyles. Royal's first black player was Julius Whitaker who first played in 1970. Broyles first black player was Darrell Brown who broke the color barrier as a walk-on in the Arkansas football program in 1966. But it wasn't until three years later, when Jon Richardson graduated from Little Rock's Horace Mann High School, that the Razorbacks recruited and signed a black player to a scholarship. Richardson went on to letter as a halfback from 1970-72. By the time Richardson enrolled at Arkansas, signing a black player didn't spark widespread public resistance as desegregation had already begun in Southern schools and college football programs.

When they, led by Bear Bryant at Alabama (first player in 1971, who observed USC and Big-10 success), Bill Yoeman at UofH (Warren McVea/1965), Hayden Fry at SMU (first to have a black athlete, Jerry Levias(1966), in the SWC), and Joe Kerbel at West Texas A&M (Mercury Morris (1965) yes, WT was a big time team in those days) saw their teams athleticism could be enhanced by integrating their teams, they did and were among the early pioneers to integrate their teams...

To claim they were "racist" is simply current day PC nonsense. That's just the way it was and how it evolved... Sure there was resistance because "that's not the way it had always been"... You have to remember that freshmen could not play on varsity in those years and had their own schedule against other freshman teams, usually played before the varsity game same day.

However, the part about no restrictions on numbers on a team is true - and DKR at t.u. was guilty, guilty, guilty of recruiting "depth" - so much so that most well knew they would never play a down or ever letter. It was not uncommon for t.u. to have 300-400 players suit up for try-outs and practices. Same for Nebraska and other powerhouses who recruited excessive numbers to keep good players from going to competition to play. That's just the way it was until team size limits were mandated to prevent more of the same. Since then, only the cream of the crop athletes make the rosters - which have been predominately black athletes since the mid-70's...

For the record In 1963 the first African-Americans enrolled at Texas A&M University. And, in 1967 Samuel Williams and James Reynolds became the first African-Americans to walk-on and make the squad during Gene Stallings time as head coach. Other early players included Hugh McElroy and Mike Bruton. Jerry Honore was the first football player who was recruited and coached by Gene Stallings. In 1970, Hugh McElroy became the first black player to start at Texas A&M in football. He was walk-on from the track team. Most known for the play in which he scored a TD with 13 seconds remaining to defeat LSU 20-18.

Also for the record, Gene Stallings was the A&M head football coach from 1965-1971 - those turbulent years of "change"... Stallings is noted as saying, in his opinion that recruiting African American players would cause disunity on the team. The 1970's marked the beginning of a new era that changed the face of football and athletics at the formerly all-white A&M. By the spring of 1972, and under A&M's new football coach Emory Bellard (who came over to A&M from t.u.), the recruitment of African-American football players began in earnest. Since the mid-1970s, African-Americans have dominated A&M football just like all the other programs in the South and Southwest.

Of course the traditionally black college football powerhouses have suffered including Grambling, Texas Southern, Prairie View, Tennessee State, Florida A&M, Alcorn, Southern, South Carolina State, Hampton, Central State, Langston, etc.

Thank you for that,...I saw SMU's Jerry LeVias, a great player for Fry. I saw a lot of the old SWC games, yet of course they were few and far between unlike now. I saw the great All American RB Floyd Little of Syracuse play a game in waco, Texas of all places. It was also nationally broadcast on ABC if I recall correctly.

Being born in northeast Texas, many of my ancestors are from Arkansas, and many are from Texas,...when we were The Republic of Texas.

I was pulling for Arkansas in the Great Shoot Out in 1969 with t.u.,...and then to see President Nixon in the sips locker room after the game to hand out his self proclaimed National Championship. One helluva game, never forget it.

Thank you for your time, Sir
45-70Ag
AG
I think he's referencing little rock high school
Texan1976
I believe Coach Broyles had the Orange Bowl passing record until it was broken by Charlie Ward in the early 90s.
nu awlins ag
AG
He was a great color guy alongside Keith Jackson back in the day. Loved his southern voice....
MaterialAg
AG
Aggie1 said:

MaterialAg said:

This is hard for you to find?

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/college/article167213017.html

Aggie1
AG
MaterialAg said:

Aggie1 said:

MaterialAg said:

You still fail to clarify the difference - which, if you had specified would be a good find instead of being contrary. The article you reference is Missouri which was in the Big-8 and NOT "Arkansas, the South and Southwest" at the time. I was talking about Arkansas and the SWC, not Missouri and the Big-8.

The Big-8 and Big-10 were several years ahead (20 years ahead in the Big-8) of the SWC, SEC, etc., in accepting integration of their athletic teams - and, as noted above the coaches in the SWC and SEC recognized the difference in athletic ability of teams that were integrated - and their majority of the national rankings during those years - ...which spurred the coaches and teams of the SWC and SEC and "the South" in general to begin integration in the SWC and SEC in the late 60's and early 70's.
etexorange
Quote:

The Big-8 and Big-10 were several years ahead (20 years ahead in the Big-8) of the SWC, SEC, etc., in accepting integration of their athletic teams - and, as noted above the coaches in the SWC and SEC recognized the difference in athletic ability of teams that were integrated - and their majority of the national rankings during those years - ...which spurred the coaches and teams of the SWC and SEC and "the South" in general to begin integration in the SWC and SEC in the late 60's and early 70's.

You do realize that Jim Crow policies, whether legislative or administrative, kept these coaches from integrating their teams?

They would've been fired. Their hands were tied. They couldn't just wake up one day and start unilaterally recruiting minority athletes.
etexorange
Quote:

Royal's first black player was Julius Whitaker who first played in 1970.

Julius Whittier, not Whitaker.

Texas also had black walk-ons in 1967, I think one was named Leon O'Neal.

So essentially Texas and A&M integrated their football teams at the very same time.

But Klanhorns!

Quote:

However, the part about no restrictions on numbers on a team is true - and DKR at t.u. was guilty, guilty, guilty of recruiting "depth" - so much so that most well knew they would never play a down or ever letter. It was not uncommon for t.u. to have 300-400 players suit up for try-outs and practices. Same for Nebraska and other powerhouses who recruited excessive numbers to keep good players from going to competition to play.

A&M did the very same thing. Stop with the revisionist history.

Quote:

For the record In 1963 the first African-Americans enrolled at Texas A&M

1956 for Texas. Y'all integrated later than Alabama and Ole Miss, too. But Klanhorns!
nu awlins ag
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

However, the part about no restrictions on numbers on a team is true - and DKR at t.u. was guilty, guilty, guilty of recruiting "depth" - so much so that most well knew they would never play a down or ever letter. It was not uncommon for t.u. to have 300-400 players suit up for try-outs and practices. Same for Nebraska and other powerhouses who recruited excessive numbers to keep good players from going to competition to play.

Right....why do you think Royal retired? He handed out way more scholarships than A&M did. Geez....so stupid. A&M was an all MALE school, whereas tu was co-ed.
Aggie1
AG
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I did not mean for this thread about Broyles and Arkansas to become a 'sip info thread. Details are in many websites. and the issue of "race" and integration is still a touchy subject. If you know anything at all you know the Texas team has had several very visible issues with race through the years that A&M has not - at least publicly.

Regardless, I know for a fact about the "depth" of 3-400 during DKR's years because I was offered to be one and knew I didn't have a chance to start or letter in football at t.u., or A&M for that matter. DKR was able to do this because UT was much preferred over A&M by most athletes simply because it was coed and ROTC was not mandatory as it was at A&M. Social activities at t.u. were take a pick where social activities at A&M were nil for many years except on weekends - and then in Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc., but NOT at A&M/College Station. During those years the nearest beer was out Highway 21 in Bryan and for liquor in the next county. Stud athletes do not typically like such spartan living conditions. Of course those things have changed over the years and now A&M is even bigger main campus than t.u. and has expansion plans to grow even more.

Anyway, in fact A&M rarely had 150-160 show for tryouts and walk-on's including scholarship players. etc. And the coaches definitely did not suit up 300+ after the season started and after the depth charts were established as did t.u. Again, I know this partly because I was given the opportunity and partly because I had many friends/acquaintances who did belong to the oversized group and they often did it for the social plusses that came with the uniform.

As I have stated many times - the acrimony and "hate" displayed between fans is seldom the same between athletes who are often close friends on opposite teams from high school, all-star games, recruiting, regional district competition, etc. And t.u. and A&M players were often friends and shared experiences. Me? I ended up lettering in track because I knew I wasn't big enough to play football in the SWC even though I was all district, etc., etc., in H.S. Point being, from first hand experience I knew the odds during the 60's of playing. And afterwards, living in Austin West Side and having many professional friends and acquaintances from t..u. athletics through West Austin Youth, as well as neighbors who did play and letter at Texas. And, FWIW I count Fred Akers as a friend as we did several things together during the 90's. I think he is a fine man as are many of my friends from the U of Texas.

As stated above, integration simply occurred much later and more slowly than in the Big-8, Big-10, etc. When Broyles was at Missouri and in the Big-8 he was able to recruit black athletes before he was able to when he moved to the SWC and Arkansas. And I mentioned Nebraska because there each county could support a player on the team before limits - thus, Nebraska had huge numbers too - and their decline coincided with the limits on the number of players - like many other schools - which - via parity - has allowed for the rise of a number of "who" into the ranks of the polls that were never there before.

I think the reason Broyles - from Georgia (Tech) originally - liked Arkansas so much is because the entire state rallied around the Razorbacks and there was no division of fan support - as in Texas, Georgia, etc. And, he was a successful coach with many great teams that seemed to have a lock on the Orange Bowl for many years.

To get this thread back on track, Broyles is truly revered in the State of Arkansas - it is nice to have that kind of suipport.
etexorange
Ok. You are including walkons, which I don't know about, but the fact of the matter is that A&M, during the Gene Stallings era, handed out as many (sometimes more) football scholarships as UT Austin. This is fact.

There are lots of players in Texas, and there were plenty willing to go to A&M over Rice, Baylor, SMU and TCU, which as private schools did not have the resources as A&M.
Texan1976
Someone will have to go to the Dave Campbell archives, but I'm pretty sure A&M signed more scholarships than Texas did in the 60s.

Also, the SWC put in scholarship limits in 1965.

The DKR oversigned and hoarded talent argument is a myth. We didnt even have that much NFL drafted talent relative to our competitors back then. DKR had a system that worked. And he had Frank Medina turning out tough *******s.
LonghornDub
Aggie1 said:

This doesn't belong on this board. It is accurate and objective.
God made the country, and man made the town. William Cowper

MaterialAg
AG
Aggie1 said:

MaterialAg said:

Aggie1 said:

MaterialAg said:

You still fail to clarify the difference - which, if you had specified would be a good find instead of being contrary.
Oh, boo-hoo.
polksalet12345
Bye Felicia, still running from Arky State any way you can.
WestAustinAg
AG
nu awlins ag said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Right....why do you think Royal retired? He handed out way more scholarships than A&M did. Geez....so stupid. A&M was an all MALE school, whereas tu was co-ed.
Actually just before the Bear's time at A&M the Aggie program did the exact same thing - you can read about it in the Junction Boys. During Bear's first year he ran off so many because there were so many average kids playing on the team who didn't really want to be there (this is before Junction). He had over 200 kids in the program according to the book...they just weren't that talented or motivated. And Royal came along shortly thereafter and turned the limitless scholarships it into an art form.
nu awlins ag
AG
WestAustinAg said:

nu awlins ag said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Actually just before the Bear's time at A&M the Aggie program did the exact same thing - you can read about it in the Junction Boys. During Bear's first year he ran off so many because there were so many average kids playing on the team who didn't really want to be there (this is before Junction). He had over 200 kids in the program according to the book...they just weren't that talented or motivated. And Royal came along shortly thereafter and turned the limitless scholarships it into an art form.
Maybe so, but those 200 were "scholarship" kids....My dad was there at the time and there weren't that many on the football team before or after.
BoerneGator
AG
Quote:

And, in 1967 Samuel Williams and James Reynolds became the first African-Americans to walk-on and make the squad during Gene Stallings time as head coach. Other early players included Hugh McElroy and Mike Bruton.
I commend your accounting of football history. It comports with my own recollections.

And you're correct about Sammy Williams (WR) and J T Reynolds (LBer) as being the first black squad men. I was a non-scholarship player on that team. I'm virtually certain neither saw the field that year, but can't be sure about subsequent years.

Hugh McElroy ' 71 (a sprinter with 9.7 speed) was indeed the first black player to start a game for A&M. He caught a 78 yard bomb from Lex James just as the game was ending to break a lot of coon ass hearts in 1970, my zip year!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.