Baylor must end its football team

9,243 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by monarch
kb2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/baylor-must-end-its-football-team-and-put-morality-over-money-goodness-over-glory/

Didn't see this on here yet, fits right in with what OR has been saying for a while
redd38
AG
A Christian school might put morality over money, but not Baylor.
Jack Cheese
AG
No, they need to keep fighting in order to prove that those girls had it coming to them. How else will society learn?
afs3
#burnitdown
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Good lord no. I'm no Baylor fan but this is stupid.

Penn State still has a team, and Baylor needs to keep their team also.
JustisWalkert
AG
Whoever financed the stadium would be sweating bullets.
HTownAg98
I tend to agree with you, though I'm not sure claiming what happened at Penn State is worse than what happened at Baylor is a good course of action.

Quote:

I waited through the weekend to write this, not so much to guard against hot-take-ism -- that has become a false construct for opinions with which anyone disagrees -- but rather to be sure. The horror I felt reading the latest allegations surrounding Baylor football, and what it seemed should come next, were too ugly to rush. I needed time.

Damn, journalists are waiting to report on stories coming out of Baylor because they think they might be fake news. Let that sink in.
DeepEastTxAg
AG
If not, then at least no football scholarships, no TV revenue, and no bowl eligibility for a minimum of 2 years, and any current player that was not involved be granted the ability to transfer with immediate eligibility. If Baylor gets to keep the program, make them hurt so much they wish it would have been shut down. Full on scorched Earth.
91_Aggie
AG
DeepEastTxAg said:

If not, then at least no football scholarships, no TV revenue, and no bowl eligibility for a minimum of 2 years, and any current player that was not involved be granted the ability to transfer with immediate eligibility. If Baylor gets to keep the program, make them hurt so much they wish it would have been shut down. Full on scorched Earth.

Fyi. SMUs "death penalty" was essentially the above. SMU could have continued to field a team but chose not to.
kb2001
AG
91_Aggie said:

DeepEastTxAg said:

Fyi. SMUs "death penalty" was essentially the above. SMU could have continued to field a team but chose not to.
Not quite. They had one season cancelled by the NCAA, and the following was shortened, no TV, and I think no home games. SMU decided to cancel the second year also because the program was so devastated

This would be about right for Baylor, cancel the program for two years. This should kill the culture that allowed this to happen, and continues to make excuses for it and try to cover it up
GAC06
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

This is much worse than Penn State
petey88
91_Aggie said:

DeepEastTxAg said:

The day after the NCAA was on campus, several college reps showed up offering a few SMU players scholarships because they were eligible to play. The 30 for 30 episode, "Pony Excess" showed some of the stuff, even then Texas Governor Bill Clements was in on it.

link for the young folks to read:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Methodist_University_football_scandal

SMU wasn't about about a culture of rapists like baylro. IMO, baylro's football program as well as the whole athletic program should be shut down.
ClassOf17
The Chicken Ranch said:

While penn states was a terrible situation...

Baylor actually had coaches pressuring te victims to stay quiet. Baylor didn't just have one coach in the incident, they had 20+ players and 40+ incidents. Which the coaches knew about, and pressure victims to stay quiet or pay them off. Why did they do all of that? Because of their football team, they were winning games.

Their football team was a big reason that what went on happened, and it should be a big part of baylor's punishment.

If that doesn't persuade you, also remember Baylor has a history of covering up MURDER; in which they were punished, and still are committing crimes today.
45-70Ag
AG
GAC06 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Is it?
I'm not sure how to rank child rape vs football players raping female college students.

They're both god awful, terrible and disgusting. I'm just not sure how to say one is more evil than the other.

But in the end, hasn't the NCAA already said they will do nothing?
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Irish_Man said:

GAC06 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Is it?
I'm not sure how to rank child rape vs football players raping female college students.

They're both god awful, terrible and disgusting. I'm just not sure how to say one is more evil than the other.

This is basically where I am with it. All of these things are criminal matters. Sure, you can revoke scholarships and do a bowl ban. At the end of the day these matters need to be brought to justice in a criminal court.

A football death penalty punishes the fans just as much as the team, and it doesn't bring one iota of justice to the victims.

Throw all the perpetrators in jail. That's what needs to happen.
GAC06
AG
Irish_Man said:

GAC06 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Is it?

The actual crimes are both horrible. Baylor's crimes were much more widespread and involved with their football program. At Penn State, we had basically one guy that claimed Paterno knew about one incident and he didn't act. At Baylor there were dozens of incidents by dozens of players, with multiple coaches and the administration actively covering it up and intimidating victims.
DentalAg
What does Waco have without football? According to Perryman's models, the economic devastation would nearly rival TAMU's departure from the BFD.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

What does Waco have without football?

Shiplap?
chigger
AG
DentalAg said:

What does Waco have without football?

Mulkey
Bottlehead90
AG
The NCAA should go to Waco and not leave until they find something.

They covered up gang rape and murder. Buying/players and fixing grades/admission requirements is highly likely.
vansprinkle
AG
GAC06 said:

Irish_Man said:

GAC06 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

Is it?

The actual crimes are both horrible. Baylor's crimes were much more widespread and involved with their football program. At Penn State, we had basically one guy that claimed Paterno knew about one incident and he didn't act. At Baylor there were dozens of incidents by dozens of players, with multiple coaches and the administration actively covering it up and intimidating victims.

I'll add that Penn States issues came to light after they had happened. Baylor's came to light after they started happening, while they were still happening, and then the issues persisted after it was public.

Penn State also quickly took matters into their own hands, while Baylor tried to wait it out and let things continue. They finally took some actions to solve the problem, all the while supporting those that the actions were being taken against (#CAB).
aggiebrad94
AG
Baylor is much worse than Penn State in terms of institutional control. Penn State was one man's crimes and one man's cover-up (allegedly). Baylor was a systemic problem involving multiple team events and team cover-ups.
BESCo91
AG
The baylor deal is both an NCAA (rules) matter and a criminal (laws) matter.

The NCAA cannot, and appropriately so, delve into the criminal matters.
That's up to the state of Texas and McClennan county.

The NCAA enters the equation when it comes to program's gaining a competitive advantage (which Baylor did by playing players that should have been suspended/expelled), and lack of institutional control (which Baylor did by systematically covering up rapes).

To me, the baylor deal is more in the wheelhouse of the NCAA than the PSU deal.
After all, Sandusky didn't play a single down for PSU.

[[Just to be 100% clear, both institutions actions/inactions were and are still reprehensible]]
AgGrad99
AG

Quote:

All of these things are criminal matters. Sure, you can revoke scholarships and do a bowl ban. At the end of the day these matters need to be brought to justice in a criminal court.

A football death penalty punishes the fans just as much as the team, and it doesn't bring on iota of justice to the victims.
I dont understand this line of thinking. My brain literally can't make sense of it.

Yes, there should be legal consequences, and these matters need to be brought to justice in criminal court.

That doesnt exclude them from additional/equitable consequences.

The football program, coaches, ath dept, and school buried dozens of heinous incidents: FOR THE SAKE OF FOOTBALL. Yes, it sucks for the fans...but that is precisely why you do it. They are who supports the program, and should demand change so they dont experience these type of consequences again.

And I fail to see why one consequence to the player/team brings justice to the victim, but the other doesnt. I would think the victims would be elated to see the institution who caused and perpetuated the issues, stopped from doing so in the future to other victims.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

As a Christian university, Baylor is committed to the highest pursuits of scholarship and offers a distinctive voice to global conversations about crucial issues - such as social responsibility, health care, economic growth, human rights, poverty, diversity, and sustainability - in a way that few others can.

Amidst a sea of secular and parochial institutions of higher education, Baylor stands unique in its pursuits of scholastic excellence while holding firm to its Christian heritage, believing that both intellectual and spiritual pursuits are not only partners in the quest for truth, but essential to the growth and development of the whole person.

Baylor's Convictions
BESCo91
AG
AGnCS said:

Quote:

As a Christian university, Baylor is committed to the highest pursuits of scholarship and offers a distinctive voice to global conversations about crucial issues - such as social responsibility, health care, economic growth, human rights, poverty, diversity, and sustainability - in a way that few others can.

Amidst a sea of secular and parochial institutions of higher education, Baylor stands unique in its pursuits of scholastic excellence while holding firm to its Christian heritage, believing that both intellectual and spiritual pursuits are not only partners in the quest for truth, but essential to the growth and development of the whole person.

That's a great mission statement/ethos/etc ..... but that ain't baylor.
BQ78
AG
They would not be waiting if Donald Trump was a student at Baylor. Trump would be accused of inviting Russians to come to Baylor and rape co-eds.
Macarthur
AgGrad99 said:

Quote:

All of these things are criminal matters. Sure, you can revoke scholarships and do a bowl ban. At the end of the day these matters need to be brought to justice in a criminal court.

A football death penalty punishes the fans just as much as the team, and it doesn't bring on iota of justice to the victims.
I dont understand this line of thinking. My brain literally can't make sense of it.

Yes, there should be legal consequences, and these matters need to be brought to justice in criminal court.

That doesnt exclude them from additional/equitable consequences.

The football program, coaches, ath dept, and school buried dozens of heinous incidents: FOR THE SAKE OF FOOTBALL. Yes, it sucks for the fans...but that is precisely why you do it. They are who supports the program, and should demand change so they dont experience these type of consequences.

And I fail to see why one consequence to the player/team brings justice to the victim, but the other doesnt. I would think the victims would be elated to see the institution who caused this issues, stopped from doing so in the future to others.

I agree.

Absolutely the fans should be 'punished'. That's a very hollow punishment, in light of the actual circumstances.

The way the fan base reacted and those damn CAB shirts, ABSOLUTELY the fan base should be 'punished'.
W
AG
that article is about 2 years too late.
BiochemAg97
AG
The Chicken Ranch said:

Irish_Man said:

GAC06 said:

The Chicken Ranch said:

RGood lord no. I'm no Baylor fan but this is stupid.

Is it?

This is basically where I am with it. All of these things are criminal matters. Sure, you can revoke scholarships and do a bowl ban. At the end of the day these matters need to be brought to justice in a criminal court.

Throw all the perpetrators in jail. That's what need to happen.
In the case of Baylor with the "she deserved it" and "it happens everywhere, why y'all picking on us" attitude of at least some of the fans, they deserve to be punished too.
SchizoAg
AG
I know this is an unpopular opinion around here (and in the Burnt Orange media especially), but until such time as someone is charged with and convicted of an actual crime, they should be presumed innocent. I don't care how much hearsay and circumstantial evidence is floating around in the media.
petey88

So far, two convictions, and one currently awaiting trial. One of the convictions was overturned recently over some issue of text message not being allowed at trial. It is supposed to retried. The other guy is serving a 20 year sentence. A few other guys have been arrested in recent months as well.

That does not start to expose the extent of the criminal activities going on there. McLennan County DA is a baylro grad, and is doing his part in the cover up. Like I mentioned last week, he's up to his ass with the Twin Peaks biker shootout cases.

Where there is smoke, there's fire. I know not all have been convicted,...yet.
dreyOO
Finally caught the Disgraced documentary on Showtime. Damn, baylor is full of sick and twisted characters.
brainman5000
AG
NCAA had no problem "punishing" the entire state of North Carolina for "discrimination". How was that a competitive issue? I think they HAVE to act against Baylor if they want to keep any shred of relevancy.
YouBet
AG
brainman5000 said:

NCAA had no problem "punishing" the entire state of North Carolina for "discrimination". How was that a competitive issue? I think they HAVE to act against Baylor if they want to keep any shred of relevancy.

That's just it. They no longer do. If I'm a major D1 program I would ignore anything they tell me to do.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.