Per School 2015-2016 Revenue - Jon Wilner

3,982 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mathguy64
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/16/college-hotline-pac-12-finances-total-revenue-school-payouts-network-income-comps-with-secb1g-and-more/

Quote:

Fiscal year 2015 school distributions
SEC: $32.7 million
Big Ten: $32.4 million
Pac-12: $25.1 million
Big 12: 23.4 million

Fiscal year 2016 school distributions
SEC: $40.5 million
Big Ten: $34.8 million
Pac-12: $28.7 million
Big 12: $28.45 million

ACC # has now been released at 26.3m per school.
CDUB98
AG
Redneck accounting. /Randolph Dook
EscondidoAg82
AG
It seems like the Big 10 negotiated a new Tier 1 deal last year and I think it was for $250,000,000/year. Our Tier 1 contract, (SEC), is about $53,000,000/year. It will be interesting to see what CBS does when the SEC Tier 1 negotiations start in a couple of years.
PJYoung
AG
EscondidoAg82 said:

It seems like the Big 10 negotiated a new Tier 1 deal last year and I think it was for $250,000,000/year. Our Tier 1 contract, (SEC), is about $53,000,000/year. It will be interesting to see what CBS does when the SEC Tier 1 negotiations start in a couple of years.
The Big 10 tier 1 deal that is about to go into effect is for a staggering $440,000,000/year from ESPN/Fox and CBS (basketball only). It will run for 6 years.

The SEC is with CBS thru 2023-2024 so it's gonna be a while for us still.

I know Clay Travis speculated that because of their refusal to renegotiate when the SEC expanded that the SEC would toss CBS aside come renewal time but I would be shocked if it comes to that. In this new era of dwindling cable households I would think the SEC would want every bidder possible at the table.
BESCo91
AG
PJYoung said:

Quote:

Fiscal year 2015 school distributions
SEC: $32.7 million
Big Ten: $32.4 million
Pac-12: $25.1 million
Big 12: 23.4 million

Fiscal year 2016 school distributions
SEC: $40.5 million
Big Ten: $34.8 million
Pac-12: $28.7 million
Big 12: $28.45 million
ACC: $26.3 million

Those number$ do not take into account Tier 3 rights, correct?
BESCo91
AG
PJYoung said:

EscondidoAg82 said:

The Big 10 tier 1 deal that is about to go into effect is for a staggering $440,000,000/year from ESPN/Fox and CBS (basketball only). It will run for 6 years.

I know Clay Travis speculated that because of their refusal to renegotiate when the SEC expanded that the SEC would toss CBS aside come renewal time but I would be shocked if it comes to that. In this new era of dwindling cable households I would think the SEC would want every bidder possible at the table.
Yep .... The new B1G Tier 1 is a huge payday.

CBS is getting one helluva deal for SEC Tier 1 .... about $6M per school per year, as I recall.
With that said ........
Other than NBC's NFL Sunday Night Football, the CBS SEC Saturday game is the only weekly national coast-to-coast broadcast of a football game received by every TV in America.
That kind of exposure -- though under compensated from a dollar standpoint for the SEC -- has a great value.
Jaxson11
AG
Don't we have a deal with Learfield sports for our tier 4 rights to add on top of the SEC distribution amount?
BiochemAg97
AG
PJYoung said:

EscondidoAg82 said:

If the 440 mil/ year is ESPN/fox/CBS wouldn't that compare to SEC tier 1&2. CBS is getting just over 1 football game a week for $53 mil.
Maroon Dawn
AG
When CBS contract comes up they will be bidding against fox and espn to keep those rights and will probably end up regretting their stance of "were not paying you for two huge new markets"
The money in sports is out of control.
Rusty GCS
AG
Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Industry sources indicate Big 12 is expected to announce next week revenue distribution of $33M-34M per school, up from $30.4M last year.
MSU/SECALUM
Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Industry sources indicate Big 12 is expected to announce next week revenue distribution of $33M-34M per school, up from $30.4M last year.

The Big 12 finally surpasses the $30 million mark, how much will the SEC be banking for the fiscal year 2016-2017?
Your Friend
Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Does that include revenue from tier 3 rights?
GrapevineAg
AG
33 said:

HTownAg98
Your Friend said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Does that include revenue from tier 3 rights?

No, but you're still behind Vanderbilt even if you include it.
Mathguy64
AG
Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Yeah. I call BS. 6 years ago the BDF had unequal payouts and they had to rig it to give us $20MM. That was at the expense of others getting $10MM. And since then have lost half of their most valuable properties. Sure they redid their TV contracts and have 2 less schools to pay out. But now they are paying out 2x-3x as much? Sorry. Someone is cooking the books. Or paying in BeebeBucks.
BiochemAg97
AG
mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Yeah. I call BS. 6 years ago the BDF had unequal payouts and they had to rig it to give us $20MM. That was at the expense of others getting $10MM. And since then have lost half of their most valuable properties. Sure they redid their TV contracts and have 2 less schools to pay out. But now they are paying out 2x-3x as much? Sorry. Someone is cooking the books. Or paying in BeebeBucks.

IIRC, the new contract that came about because we all stayed when Neb and Colorado left was supposed to be close to the $20 mil, and I'm sure it grows from there. I think they also withheld distributions from A&M and Missouri from when we left.

Since then, they still had unequal payouts with the new additions getting a reduced share. They should be close to a full share now.

They also set aside a rediculous litigation reserve, which they have now decided they over funded. Not clear if this was funded by the underpayments to the upgrades or from elsewhere. But drawing down the litigation reserve to increase annual distributions probably helps things look more equal.

And now we have 25% withheld from Baylor until they show they have reformed. Hopefully that is going into reserves because they should give that money to Baylor at some point.

So yes, there may be some shifting funds around to give larger payouts.
MSU/SECALUM
mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Some one over on the WV site broke down the payouts of all the SEC & Big 12 members combined including alleged tier 3 money for the Big 12. It looked fairly accurate

http://www.scout.com/college/west-virginia/forums/4582-big12-conference/16713384-apples-to-apples-big-12-kept-pace-w-sec-big-2015-2016
SlackerAg
AG
They even tried to spin it as "SEC level money". It is not even close to $40MM.
Your Friend
MSU/SECALUM said:

mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

Some one over on the WV site broke down the payouts of all the SEC & Big 12 members combined including alleged tier 3 money for the Big 12. It looked fairly accurate

http://www.scout.com/college/west-virginia/forums/4582-big12-conference/16713384-apples-to-apples-big-12-kept-pace-w-sec-big-2015-2016

So Texas DID make more money than A&M in 2015-16?
MSU/SECALUM
Your Friend said:

MSU/SECALUM said:

mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

It appears they gave Texas the full $12 million payout for the LHN, with ESPN cutting back on shows, cutting personnel and ad revenue probably taking a hit in the process I doubt seriously they're getting the full $12 million. So there is a good possibility that A&M actually did bring in more money than Texas. Do you think OU makes $8 million...I don't.
HTownAg98
Your Friend said:

MSU/SECALUM said:

mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

No, because you and your dumbass friends keep arriving at this $15MM/year, when in actuality the number is closer to a $13MM base revenue (per the contract, it starts at $10.9MM with a 3% annual escalation), less $3MM to IMG, and half of that goes to academics. So you only realize about $5MM to athletics, and you still make less than Vanderbilt.
MSU/SECALUM
HTownAg98 said:

Your Friend said:

MSU/SECALUM said:

mathguy86 said:

Rusty GCS said:

Chuck Carlton on Twitter

Quote:

No, because you and your dumbass friends keep arriving at this $15MM/year, when in actuality the number is closer to a $13MM base revenue (per the contract, it starts at $10.9MM with a 3% annual escalation), less $3MM to IMG, and half of that goes to academics. So you only realize about $5MM to athletics, and you still make less than Vanderbilt.
The most pertinent thing is that 5 SEC members have surpassed what Texas makes even with the LHN. The LHN is now stagnant revenue wise with no ability to grow while the SECN will continue to grow(being available in Mexico is going to provide additional money). Per the tweet from Chuck Carlton the Big 12 is estimating payouts to be $33 to $34 million for 2016-2017, it seems that I remember these estimates falling short of actual distributions the past several years so I will believe it when the 990's are made public. Even if they do payout $34 million that means that Texas' would only bank $46 million even with the LHN. How many additional SEC members surpass Texas next year?
RAB87
AG
33 said:

Said the Sips, never...until their loser-league faded into irrelevance.
BiochemAg97
AG
Some interesting math going on over at the B12.

"The Big 12 average payout was $30.4 million with a high of $28.916,152 to OU and a low of $28,017,750 to WVU these numbers do not include each members tier 3."

I don't know how you average a payout and get higher than then highest. Unless they are reporting an average payout then docking the schools some form of expenses.
Mathguy64
AG
BeebeBucks (TM)
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.