Bohls: Talent-strapped Big 12 is fighting an uphill national climb

4,999 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by aggiedata
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Bohls: Talent-strapped Big 12 is fighting an uphill national climb

Quote:

1. The Big 12 is hurting, and that should excite Tom Herman. After yet another devastating showing in the NFL draft when only 14 players were selected the fewest of any Power 5 conference there is a power vacuum that the new Texas football coach can fill. The ugly results are a clear reflection of subpar talent in terms of evaluation, recruiting and coaching, and the league had better pay attention or it will suffer in terms of money, television ratings, attendance and beer sales. Sure, its smaller membership than the other leagues with only 10 teams hurts those draft numbers, and Oklahoma is the sole remaining heavyweight in a league of Kansases, Iowa States and, yes, Texases lately, which is why expansion was mandatory. Of the 12 slots in the three-year-old College Football Playoff, only one has gone to a Big 12 team in the Sooners, and only the Longhorns have even played for the national championship in the last 12 years. That's lame. Pick it up, Big 12, or it'll be the death of an already-sick league.
Quote:

7. Despite ESPN's purge of 100 employees, Bowlsby doesn't see a threat to the Big 12 with ESPN as a rights-holder. "It depends on what the marketplace looks like when all rights agreements come up for renegotiations. For us, it's not for another eight years. Almost all those television rights agreements go through 2024 or '25 or longer." Texas sports business teacher Mark Pannes took issue with those "who insist ESPN's political slant has impacted subscription levels, with some people fleeing the network because they disagree with its voice or position. That really has to be categorically false."
PJYoung
AG

Señor Chang
AG
Isn't it about time we stop this charade that there are 5 Power Conferences?
bonfarr
AG
Bohls' premise that the talent vacuum in the Big12 leaves the conference wide open for the sips to dominate is comical when they can't beat Kansas State and their team of nobody 2 star Jucos
Your Friend
bonfarr said:

Bohls' premise that the talent vacuum in the Big12 leaves the conference wide open for the sips to dominate is comical when they can't beat Kansas State and their team of nobody 2 star Jucos

Those nobody 2 star Jucos can be tough nuts, can't they
BESCo91
AG
BrentZ's version of the same article ....

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/college/article/Big-12-s-draft-decline-and-solution-starts-in-11119276.php?cmpid=twitter-mobile

"Each of the Big 12 schools in the state - Baylor, TCU, Texas and Texas Tech - had a player taken in the NFL draft last week or a combined one less player than A&M (five) and the same number as Colorado (four).

If A&M, Nebraska Colorado and Missouri still were a part of the Big 12 (and subtracting the three combined selections of West Virginia and TCU), the conference would have had 22 draft picks this year. In other words, the four departed schools' 11 selections matched the 11 of the eight schools they left behind."

MSN Sports' version of the same article ....

"The Big 12 had 14 drafted players this year. The four schools that left the conference in 2010 and 2011 -- Texas A&M, Nebraska, Missouri and Colorado -- combined to have 11 players drafted."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/big-12-experiencing-power-failure/ar-BBAFfcw?ocid=iehp
HTownAg98
Your Friend said:

bonfarr said:

Those nobody 2 star Jucos can be tough nuts, can't they

Tell us about all those 2-star players playing for Kansas.
Sponge
AG
Seor Chang said:

Maybe if we could beat KSU then yes.
b_rad
AG
^^^^^^ what sponge said
Bob Knights Paper Hands

Whorn media said:

We all suck so much Mack Charlie Herman would have to step on his own dick not to win the conference regularly.
ClassOf17
Sponge said:

Seor Chang said:

Maybe if we could beat KSU then yes.

We could lose to Tulsa but that doesn't make the AAC a power conference.
jja79
AG
A former Baylor player told me they're deciding between BIG and SEC and will be moving soon.
AgCat93
AG
jja79 said:

A former Baylor player told me they're deciding between BIG and SEC and will be moving soon.

Chutzpah. As though there are offers on the table.
If the B12 breaks up and 10 teams are on the market, then it's likely that the B1G and SEC will add someone.

I don't care where Texas goes when the next round of alignment happens.
Señor Chang
AG
Does Bonfire need to do the math for you again? No Big 12 team is worth adding to the SEC. The existing SEC schools would all get less money if any Big 12 teams were added today. The B1G could potentially add Texas, but I don't think any other schools would make financial sense and align with B1G academics (Texas Tech).
SchizoAg
AG
Seor Chang said:

Does Bonfire need to do the math for you again? No Big 12 team is worth adding to the SEC. The existing SEC schools would all get less money if any Big 12 teams were added today.
That's in the current revenue model dominated by cable TV subscriptions. Which is rapidly going away.
jja79
AG
AgCat93 said:

jja79 said:

Chutzpah. As though there are offers on the table.

Baylor, Alabama and Ohio State can choose their conferences. Honest to goodness that's what he said.
ccatag
AG
PAC 12 needs to add tu, ou, ku, and isu (4 state footprint and 3 AAU schools). Screw osu, k-state, Tceh, tcu, baylol, they all belong in mid-major league. No power conference will take them ever. Ou and ku need to take it or leave it.
Bottlehead90
AG
jja79 said:

Typical Baylor. Trying to take things they were not offered.
aginlakeway
AG
jja79 said:

So Baylor gets to make its own choice?
TPS_Report
AG
jja79 said:

If you're friends with that dude you might want to schedule an intervention.... he obviously on the dope.
Joe Schillaci 48
AG
jja79 said:

Hopefully he has gone through concussion protocol?

Needs medical attention asap.
SlackerAg
AG
Baylor forcing themselves on others.
UTExan
Big 12 could really see an increase in talent if they admitted North Dakota State.
Iowaggie
AG
Is the Big 12 closer to the 4th best power 5 conference or the AAC?
Gigem314
AG
ccatag said:

PAC 12 needs to add tu, ou, ku, and isu (4 state footprint and 3 AAU schools). Screw osu, k-state, Tceh, tcu, baylol, they all belong in mid-major league. No power conference will take them ever. Ou and ku need to take it or leave it.
i think that's eventually where OU/tu end up. The PAC desperately needs more big programs with large fanbases, and the central time zone. They're at risk of falling significantly behind the conferences in the East. I think they'll be the most motivated to make a move.
Your Friend
Seor Chang said:

Does Bonfire need to do the math for you again? No Big 12 team is worth adding to the SEC. The existing SEC schools would all get less money if any Big 12 teams were added today. The B1G could potentially add Texas, but I don't think any other schools would make financial sense and align with B1G academics (Texas Tech).

UT and/!or OU wouldn't add value to the sec? Can someone please explain that to me as if I'm a mongoloid? Does it have to do with cable television which be obsolete in 10 years anyway?
goodAg80
AG
Your Friend said:

Seor Chang said:

UT and/!or OU wouldn't add value to the sec? Can someone please explain that to me as if I'm a mongoloid? Does it have to do with cable television which be obsolete in 10 years anyway?

You are a mongoloid. You wouldn't understand.
AgCat93
AG
Your Friend said:

Seor Chang said:

The other SEC members don't want t.u. to come in and manipulate them.
HTownAg98
Oh, they have value. But the sips come with a huge liability: killing every conference they've been a part of. When revenue dollars are going to be even tighter in 5-10 years, the SEC isn't going to take on the risk of dealing with the sips.
aggiedata
AG
All this accelerated cord cutting will effectively lock out teams. No way we all agree to make less to add one. No way ESPN is going to pony up more to offset.

Timing is everything in life, and we aced it!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.