Bonfire

4,251 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TexasRebel
Texan1976
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't see why you guys can't have a student-built bonfire on campus. Just utilize a safer design and have a safety engineer with authority not to build the thing, but to stop construction if safety parameters are not followed. That way it is still the students' deal, but balanced with some better safety precautions.

As a Longhorn alum, I appreciated the bonfire. There is no reason it has to be a multi-tiered, wedding cake design. There are safer alternatives.

And people who say it will "never" be back. I would never say never.
goodAg80
AG
Texan1976 said:

I don't see why you guys can't have a student-built bonfire on campus. Just utilize a safer design and have a safety engineer with authority not to build the thing, but to stop construction if safety parameters are not followed. That way it is still the students' deal, but balanced with some better safety precautions.

As a Longhorn alum, I appreciated the bonfire. There is no reason it has to be a multi-tiered, wedding cake design. There are safer alternatives.

txjortsagent
AG
Your first step is to speak to a guy named Dion McInnis.
MosesRAB-93
AG
I think ALL options need to be explored. What about a permanent center pole with extinguishers. Or even gas light w/o soaked logs?

The current design is much safer as is, but I think you need to see what would be required to bring it to campus AND still maintain student involvement. (Otherwise, what's the point?)
CharlieBrown17
AG
txjortsagent said:

My recent conversations with Dion are that he wouldn't be happy with how Bonfire would have to be ran for it to be back on campus.
TXAGBQ76
AG
the whole idea of Bonfire (at least to me) has nothing to do with lighting it, but rather getting several thousand students working together to reach a common goal. It was a learning experience, a team building experience, a relationship experience, etc.

to have it build by outsiders (i.e. non-students) takes away every bit of the overall experience.
TXAGBQ76
AG
drama queen much?

op asked for honest opinions and received them- all of which were respectfully given. if you don't like the answers, that is your opinion.

this is a discussion board- not a lemmings only board; the op asked for thoughts and opinions- he did not demand that only people who agreed with to comment
GoodOldAgs
goodAg80 said:

Texan1976 said:

And are those dildo candles?
Bucketrunner
I'd settle for allowing the band and football team to attend an off campus bonfire
txjortsagent
AG
CharlieBrown17 said:

txjortsagent said:

My recent conversations with Dion are that he wouldn't be happy with how Bonfire would have to be ran for it to be back on campus.

Might wanna listen to him. He's done more for Bonfire than the rest of us put together
88jrt06
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Shame on you old rivalries board. This young man came here with a serious discussion and you haven't devolved it into poop flinging yet. I am dissappoint.

Stop spoiling the millennials. They can't bounce back.
ccatag
AG
txjortsagent said:

Is he one of those rangers, the one who goes by the name Strider? j/k
GiveEmHellBill
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

the whole idea of Bonfire (at least to me) has nothing to do with lighting it, but rather getting several thousand students working together to reach a common goal. It was a learning experience, a team building experience, a relationship experience, etc.

to have it build by outsiders (i.e. non-students) takes away every bit of the overall experience.
Exactly, and there is zero chance the University allows students anywhere NEAR the construction. We can discuss all these options on how to get students involved in the construction or even the killing of the trees, but there is absolutely no chance that the University would allow any of that to happen. The risks for them are just too high.

Bonfire would be built 100% by an outside construction company, which defeats the purpose entirely.
California Ag 90
AG
Bucketrunner said:

I'd settle for allowing the band and football team to attend an off campus bonfire
this x1000. would make a huge impact and go a long way (more than halfway) to restoring the bonfire we remember.
SteveBott
AG
California Ag 90 said:

Bucketrunner said:

this x1000. would make a huge impact and go a long way (more than halfway) to restoring the bonfire we remember.

I'd take that deal all day and twice on Sunday.
SteveBott
AG
Add the Yell Boys and I'm done.

OP see the last two posts I made and decide if that is a more reasonable goal.
TexasRebel
AG
And here I thought this carousel was closed.

I'm down for another ride.
lb3
AG
TexasRebel
AG
I said exactly that in 2001.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.