Tom Herman's 'caste system' for his team violates Texas state law on hazing

7,986 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Wildmen03
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
After reading the ESPN article on how Tom Herman specifically breaks his team up into three groups (gold, green, crimson) and even feeds them all differently, I did a little research.

According to the Texas student catalog, what Herman is doing is hazing, which is illegal in Texas.
From the handbook:
Quote:

Hazing is prohibited under state law. The University will initiate disciplinary action in response to hazing incidents that take place during official functions of the University or during functions sponsored by registered student organizations or sponsored student organizations; the University will also initiate disciplinary action in response to hazing incidents that have a substantial connection to the interests of the University regardless of the location in which they occur, on or off campus. See Texas Education Code, Section 37.156 and Section 51.936 for more information.
"Hazing" or "hazing activity" means any intentional, knowing, or reckless act, occurring on or off of the campus of an educational institution, by one person alone or acting with others, directed against a student, that endangers the mental or physical health or safety of a student for the purpose of pledging, being initiated into, affiliating with, holding office in, or maintaining membership in any organization whose members are primarily students at an educational institution.
Hazing includes but is not limited to any activity involving consumption of a food, liquid, alcoholic beverage, liquor, drug, or other substance that subjects the student to an unreasonable risk of harm or that adversely affects the mental or physical health or safety of the student
Serving someone burnt biscuits, watered down eggs? Burnt hots dogs, burnt burgers?
Quote:

any activity that intimidates or threatens the student with ostracism, that subjects the student to extreme mental stress, shame, or humiliation, that adversely affects the mental health or dignity of the student
Putting someone on the 'crimson' team as a means of shaming them for their performance certainly meets this definition.
Quote:

"Organization" means a fraternity, sorority, association, corporation, order, society, corps, club, team, or service, social, or similar group whose members are primarily students, and includes but is not limited to groups with a valid registration under chapter 6 of the Institutional Rules. See Texas Education Code, Section 37.151(5) for more information.
A person commits the offense of hazing and is subject to discipline under this chapter if the person engages in hazing; solicits, encourages, directs, aids, or attempts to aid another in engaging in hazing;recklessly permits hazing to occur; or *has firsthand knowledge of the planning of a specific hazing incident(s) involving a student in an educational institution, or has firsthand knowledge that a specific hazing incident has occurred, and knowingly fails to report that knowledge in writing to the dean of students or other appropriate *
Consenting as a member of the team is not a defense.
Quote:

Hazing with or without the consent of a student is prohibited, whether on or off campus, and a violation of that prohibition renders both the person inflicting the hazing and the person submitting to the hazing subject to discipline.
An organization commits a hazing offense if the organization condones or encourages hazing or if an officer, authorized representative, or any combination of members, potential new members, or alumni of the organization commits or assists in the commission of hazing.
Coaches hazing the players meets this definition.
Schrute
Instead of reading all those words, thought I'd just rather type **** you tu.
Lungblood
Let's just scrap football altogether. Every coach in America "punishes" players and results in some level of humiliation.
Potcake
AG
You forgot your links.
Bottlehead90
AG
Gold and green are Baylor colors
Crimson is Bama

Which is the bad color according to Tom?
SACR
AG
Bottlehead90 said:

Crimson is Bama

I think crimson is supposed to by OU.

No idea why they use Baylor colors for the top two teams.

The influence of Coach Horny?
BiochemAg97
AG
SACR said:

Bottlehead90 said:

Crimson is Bama

I think crimson is supposed to by OU.

The influence of Coach Horny?
Didn't OU win the b12 again last year. Seems like a much better color to play football for than burnt orange.
schwack schwack
AG
This thread has a very Randy Duke-ian feel about it. Sic 'em OP.
Decay
AG
Giving them Scarlet Letter (jackets)
Al Bula
AG
Quote:

Just as they did at Houston, Herman's staff began sorting Texas players into three distinct groups during winter conditioning. The gold guys are the ones who handle their business and do everything right. The green guys are progressing toward gold status. The troublemakers go in the crimson group.
good god. What is this Harry Potter sorting business going on at Texas?

This sounds like a bunch of gay fantasy bullsh t for sure, but i highly doubt the players were served substandard food. It's Buffet food so you know it will
All be sh tty.
SACR
AG

Did you read the article?

Herman has them intentionally screw up the food, burning the hot dogs, burning the biscuits, watering down the eggs that he gives to the 'losing' team.
Al Bula
AG
SACR said:

Herman has them intentionally screw up the food, burning the hot dogs, burning the biscuits, watering down the eggs that he gives to the 'losing' team.
Yes I did. Where in that ESPN article does it say Coach Hairplugs is instructing the cooks to intentionally f ck up the food?
p_bubel
Quote:

SlackerAg
AG
This will backfire by accelerating transfers -- players not seeing the field won't be around to develop. Depth will suffer as they're not recruiting well enough to fill the gaps.
Stevetex.
Humm......it went from being coddled to now just down right mean?

That mean ole coach!

Accountability Folks. These players already knew what was expected from them.

Jock 07
AG
So Stevie, will you stay on the sinking tommyboy ship as long as you did the cholie ship?
Stevetex.
You bet.

You known he has never even mentioned Malik Jefferson on anything. Malik hands down was thought of as a future franchise player. I find that very interesting.

Looking forward to the spring game.
Stevetex.
And it's not going to sink!
BillYeoman
Concussions and stunts. Exactly why Uncle Tillman fired Herman.
goodAg80
AG
Whew I thought Tommy Herrplug might be a decent coach until stevie boy came here to defend him.

HTownAg98
Stevetex. said:

The builders of the HMS Titanic say hello.
ac04
gadget program
SACR
AG
RPM said:

SACR said:

Yes I did. Where in that ESPN article does it say Coach Hairplugs is instructing the cooks to intentionally f ck up the food?
How about the first line?

Quote:

At Texas, the winners eat steak. The losers get burnt hot dogs.
Quote:

"It was Bush's baked beans, hots dogs and burnt burgers for the losers over there," Hughes said.
Quote:

"First thing I saw, they had white bread, buns, burnt hot dog weenies," Locke said.

I'm guessing you didn't read the article.
ABATTBQ11
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Stevetex. said:

The builders of the RMS Titanic say hello.

Not a warship, not HMS.
Al Bula
AG
SACR said:

RPM said:

SACR said:

Quote:

Quote:

"It was Bush's baked beans, hots dogs and burnt burgers for the losers over there," Hughes said.
Quote:

"First thing I saw, they had white bread, buns, burnt hot dog weenies," Locke said.

please point out where it says Hairplugs instructed the cooks to purposely burn the food. You can't because it doesn't so now you are being obtuse because you'd rather make up fake news that fits your narrative than admit your sweet tsip ownage thread Is flimsy.

I'm all for making fun of tsips, but the espn article you posted does not support your assertion that Hermie told the cooks to serve the lower tier burned or under cooked food.
Ragoo
AG
Growing up I thought the only way to grilp hot dogs was to char the outside. Which is why I much prefer boiled.
schwack schwack
AG
Burn one hotdog/burger, shame on me. Burn all of the hotdogs/burgers, I'm doing it on purpose.
Wildmen03
AG
ABATTBQ11 said:

HTownAg98 said:

Stevetex. said:

The builders of the RMS Titanic say hello.

Not a warship, not HMS.
Might as well have been with all of the secret munitions on board.
Jock 07
AG
RPM said:

SACR said:

RPM said:

SACR said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

please point out where it says Hairplugs instructed the cooks to purposely burn the food. You can't because it doesn't so now you are being obtuse because you'd rather make up fake news that fits your narrative than admit your sweet tsip ownage thread Is flimsy.

I'm all for making fun of tsips, but the espn article you posted does not support your assertion that Hermie told the cooks to serve the lower tier burned or under cooked food.

SACR
AG

Link

He did it at Houston and has continued it at texas.

To argue such a minute point makes me think you're either desperately searching for something you can 'win' an argument at, or you're just not too bright.

Science Denier
AG
Quote:

Herman is going to model sippy after the model Baylol has set for everyone.
Actual Talking Thermos
BillYeoman said:

Uncle Tillman fired Herman.
uh huh
London Broil
so, a football coach is coaching football and instilling an accountability characteristic to everything that the players do....win or lose everyday....with winning comes rewards, with losing comes consequences. Perhaps he should have done this in Junction?
MooreTrucker
AG
London Broil said:

so, a football coach is coaching football and instilling an accountability characteristic to everything that the players do....win or lose everyday....with winning comes rewards, with losing comes consequences. Perhaps he should have done this in Junction?
This is 2017. Those things no longer apply.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.