37 years ago today

3,439 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by WestAustinAg
BohunkAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We gave a giant F-ck you to Russia.

goodAg80
AG
SafetySam79
AG
Didn't understand a single rule about hockey at the time, but I loved watching that game.
GrapevineAg
AG
The last 10 minutes of that game were so tense. Craig was phenomenal keeping the puck out of his net that stretch.
ham98
'Merica
ApachePilot
AG
Best sporting event moment in history. That event meant a lot more to both sides than just a hockey game. Still swells me up with pride.

I still remember having class assignments in the late 70s and early 80s about how much better my counterpart in the USSR is doing. Who else had that? I still remember being in 6th grade and being given a bio to read about how this average student my age in the USSR is already doing geometry and algebra while fluently speaking 3 languages.
aggiejim70
AG
I was at the U of H basketball game that night. It was close game and a lot of back and forth between the fans.
When the hockey score was announced that all stopped and everyone just started cheering and hugging one another. It died down and then started back up. For the record, that's one of the times I've been most proud of being an American.
The person that is not willing to fight and die, if need be, for his country has no right to life.

James Earl Rudder '32
January 31, 1945
AggieTFA06
AG
One of the reasons I believe in miracles
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
titanmaster_race
Do you believe in miracles???
DrZ
AG
Sgt. Pepper taught the band to play
Goodfield Nohit
If you have 90 minutes to kill, here's the full game:

littledoc91
AG
Truth was, your counterpart was likely scrounging back alleys looking for something to eat.
annie88
AG
I was in 8th grade. Remember laying on the floor and watching on tv. Fun.

Also interesting to see the Russians just stone faced. Now, they usually were for the most part anyway, but they truly looked stunned and amazed by the enthusiastic reaction and camaraderie of the Americans. Sadly, it made me think they really never enjoyed what they did, but had to and didn't really grasp the true understanding of that elated feeling. It was more a job/chore to them.
TAMUdoc88
AG
If you can find espn's 30-for-30 on that game and the dominoes that fell involving Russian hockey as a result, it's a great watch.

And the movie Miracle, as well, while you're at it.
BESCo91
AG
ApachePilot said:

Best sporting event moment in history. That event meant a lot more to both sides than just a hockey game.
10000% agree.
wbt5845
AG
Interesting side note most people don't realize.

That broadcast was tape delayed. The game had been played earlier in the day but ABC had exclusive media rights and the results were kept secret until the broadcast that night.

Could not happen in today's world.

Yeah, I think it was the first hockey game I'd ever watched and it was great.
wbt5845
AG
ApachePilot said:

I still remember having class assignments in the late 70s and early 80s about how much better my counterpart in the USSR is doing. Who else had that? I still remember being in 6th grade and being given a bio to read about how this average student my age in the USSR is already doing geometry and algebra while fluently speaking 3 languages.
Went to Catholic schools with Polish nuns who hated the f*** outta Russians - so no not at my school.
WestAustinAg
AG
Funny thing. Many people remember seeing it. But few actually remember that it was played in the early afternoon in the US and was tape delayed for 5:00 to 8:00 pm that evening. But since this was 1980 and there weren't any sports nets and other networks didn't disrupt tape delayed events with breaking news like they do now very few people realize it was already a foregone conclusion.

Some also think this game occurred on Reagan's watch. Actually occurred in Carter's final year in office. He went on to cancel the Summer Olympics being held in Russian later that year (used to be held in same years).
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.