USA Today on the SEC distribution

20,092 Views | 197 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by The Collective
ccatag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Interesting that this distribution covers the period from August 31, 2015 through August 31, 2016.
It doesn't include this past season's football programming and games. Think about that!

There is a nice pop-out pdf of the report documenting the red-neck accounting.

The Southeastern Conference continued flexing and growing its financial muscle
ccatag
AG
Aggies share is $40,651,350.00 (pg.21)
DifferenceMaker Ag
Alabama's share is apparently a closely guarded secret.
CrottyKid
AG
What will our friend Randy Duke say about this? #fakenews
petey88
ccatag said:

Aggies share is $40,651,350.00 (pg.21)
and we ran away from the BDF for this ?

I told friends of mine back then, we would be making plenty of bucks, and more than anyone in the BDF. Every since the SEC Network debuted, all of these "friends" have been dead silent.
Stevetex.
Wait....Did you just say A&M generates more money than the Texas Longhorns?
ccatag
AG
DifferenceMaker Ag said:

Alabama's share is apparently a closely guarded secret.
Alabama's share is $39,107,120.00 on page 13
Bottlehead90
AG
Stevetex. said:

Don't worry the insecure crowd at Belmont will generate a statement claiming they made at least $1 more. They are like dealing with a price is right contestant. They are so juvenile. So predictable
McInnis80
A&M getting more money than Texas? No big deal.

Vandy getting more money than Texas? Watch Randy's head explode.
Stevetex.
Fake News!
petey88

twk
AG
Doing a little redneck accounting, TV revenue went up last year 108.2 million--this was the second year of the SECN, and since the other contracts didn't change, that has to be attributable almost 100% to SECN revenue, I would think. If you divide that 108.2 by 15 (conference office gets a share, IIRC), that's $7.21 million above what was received last year, per school. What did we determine each school received last year from SECN? Something like $6 million? My redneck math would suggest that we're making something like $13 million from SECN. LHN base royalty last year would have been around $12.4 million, out of which IMG gets about $2 million. So, yes, it would appear that Vandy made more from SECN than the sips did from LHN.
MSU/SECALUM
McInnis80 said:

A&M getting more money than Texas? No big deal.

Vandy getting more money than Texas? Watch Randy's head explode.
I don't think his head would explode over Vanderbilt getting that kind of money due to their academics but MSU, Ole Miss & Arkansas, yes. IIRC, Junction stated we would be getting over $40M this year.
Stevetex.
Oh... well that's a relief.

I'm so glad you specified Network revenue.
Flexbone
Stevetex. said:

Deflecting as usual.

Pretty sure the last reports generated by each school show A&M WELL ahead of Texas. It would make perfect sense. A&M plays in a better league, has better tv deals, has more fans attend its games, has more people watch games it plays in, etc. You must have missed the part where your last AD came out and said the numbers Texas had been reporting including things as AD revenue that had absolutely nothing to do with the AD. I'd suspected this for years. There's no reasonable basis for actually believing Texas makes more than Alabama, Ohio State, etc. Being that there's no specific standards that really control how athletic departments report their numbers, it's easy to see how a school as pathetically narcissistic as Texas would manipulate their numbers.
Stevetex.
Sure and your revenue included that 92 mil contribution. Would you consider that inflated?

Paradise Ag
AG
Stevetex. said:

I didn't.

But I will say you'd figure the "richest" school wouldn't have all three major men's sports either in or coming off of losing seasons.

If you guys are indeed so rich, might want to demand a little better return on your money.
Rocco S
Flexbone said:

Stevetex. said:

Deflecting as usual.

Pretty sure the last reports generated by each school show A&M WELL ahead of Texas. It would make perfect sense. A&M plays in a better league, has better tv deals, has more fans attend its games, has more people watch games it plays in, etc. You must have missed the part where your last AD came out and said the numbers Texas had been reporting including things as AD revenue that had absolutely nothing to do with the AD. I'd suspected this for years. There's no reasonable basis for actually believing Texas makes more than Alabama, Ohio State, etc. Being that there's no specific standards that really control how athletic departments report their numbers, it's easy to see how a school as pathetically narcissistic as Texas would manipulate their numbers.
I'd really like to see a sip argue these points. We make more on TV, our stadium is bigger, has more suites, sells more tickets, and tickets cost more, even though you have to take into account the amount of discounted student tickets we have.

Where is the sips monetary advantage? Apparel sales and alcohol sales. Where else? You think those 2 items alone not only make up the difference but put you well ahead of us? You really and truly believe that?
The Notorious A.G.G.I.E.
AG
BiochemAg97
AG
Rocco S said:

Where is the sips monetary advantage? Apparel sales and alcohol sales. Where else?
Accounting tricks with Frank Erwin Center revenue?

By the way, does anyone know if general apparel sales for A&M is AD money, or A&M money? There might also be a difference in how that is accounted for between the schools. For example, if every cow head t-shirt is money for the tu AD, whereas every A&M t-shirt is money for A&M University rather than AD, it might make sense why there is such a disparity in apparel sales.
dermdoc
AG
Sips are so effing sensitive about this. The problem is Mr. Dodds and his merry band made probably the worst sports related business decisions in a span of about three years in history. To the casual eye it would appear that the SEC is "trending" up and the Big 12 not so much.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
etexorange
Quote:

Where is the sips monetary advantage? Apparel sales and alcohol sales. Where else? You think those 2 items alone not only make up the difference but put you well ahead of us? You really and truly believe that?
Actually, this isn't hard to look up. Note that A&M's contribution level exploded to $90-plus million because of the Kyle Field redo (i.e., temporary).

etexorange
Forgot to add, University of Texas Athletics gave the school $9.8 million out of its revenues last year.

I see A&M has taken several million from the school in that time frame (even more than "the loan" that still hasn't been paid off). I suppose that was to make ends meet until your SEC welfare money came through after defaulting on your Big 12 revenues for one year (or whatever it was).
StephenvilleAg77
Just like the swallows returning to Mission San Juan Capistrano, obsessed lil brother sips always show up on OR's annual SEC distribution threads seeking approval and pats on the head from big brother Daddy A&M.
Stevetex.
Dude, this is the crazy part.

Your exaxctly right about Texas not playing up to their potential and still raking in that kind of dough.

Can you imagine what a winning season would do.

I can.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
^^^^^ yes it would give Tommy Boy more money to give coach horny a raise. Piece of **** move by your coach.
WestAustinAg
AG
I forgot that tu counts Erwin Center revenues as part of their athletic budget. So when big bands come to Austin somehow tu gets t count that as athletic revenue.

They work so hard to build the illusion they are the highest revenue program ever.
etexorange
Quote:

I forgot that tu counts Erwin Center revenues as part of their athletic budget. So when big bands come to Austin somehow tu gets t count that as athletic revenue.
Huh?? Where did you get that idea? UT Athletics and the Erwin Center are considered "auxiliary enterprises" of the University of Texas and are required to remit 3.25 percent of profit to The University of Texas' administration. It's a good relationship, but they are considered separate enterprises.

That's where the tennis court money came from... the wad of cash remitted from those enterprises.

I also find it laughable that the previous poster said UT Athletics will get the short end of the stick in future expansion, when the new tennis courts and older softball field got prime placement on precious property. Just like the Erwin Center replacement south of the Mike Myers track stadium will.
RGLAG85
AG
etexorange said:

Quote:

Actually, this isn't hard to look up. Note that A&M's contribution level exploded to $90-plus million because of the Kyle Field redo (i.e., temporary).

From the looks of those '14 & '15 tickets sells, ya'll must of had a packed stadium? It had too look good on tv.
Flexbone
Texas' numbers are absolute BULL*****

These ******s are here on a FRIDAY NIGHT trying to validate themselves by arguing about athletic department revenue.
Rocco S
Yeah, Patterson said y'all were lying about your number and you fired him for it

You can throw whatever numbers you want, you don't have the backing to prove it
Flexbone
Who in the HELL would actually believe that Texas outsold us in ticket sales by $18M in a straight up comparison?
SoTxAg
AG
Honestly, the money is good and all, but it's more about getting out of that shytty conference you sips still call home.
aggiehawg
AG
dermdoc said:

Sips are so effing sensitive about this. The problem is Mr. Dodds and his merry band made probably the worst sports related business decisions in a span of about three years in history. To the casual eye it would appear that the SEC is "trending" up and the Big 12 not so much.
Ragoo
AG
Flexbone said:

Who in the HELL would actually believe that Texas outsold us in ticket sales by $18M in a straight up comparison?
didnt they raise prices? $18Mm is a lot of scratch when you have fewer seats....

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.