Austin Sports Talk

9,629 Views | 50 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by biobioprof
Schrute
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apparently the only reason tu isn't on top of the national scene is facilities. If they can just upgrade those, then no doubt the sips will be back where they "belong". I find this strange because they just fired their first black HC after 3 years of a 5 year contract. I thought it was because of his performance (record). Now they are implying tu's record has been bad because they are lacking in facilities??? Did they fire Charlie because he didn't have the eye for interior design like Herman?? Confused...

Also, they had some dude on this morning that is covering the US Army bowl in San Antonio. When asked about who fans should be watching as future whorns, the guy mentioned 2 people - the first was a 3-star OL already committed to tu. The second was Baron Browning. The guy said Baron is scheduled to announce where he's going and tu is on his short list. I find this strange because Baron has already made a verbal to Ohio State.

AgOutsideAustin
AG
The circle of life. Had Mack as a CEO then if only they could just get a football coach. Here comes Chollie the football coach. Fired his azz and now they just circled back to Tommy Boy the CEO that points out all the upgrades needed to compete. Whatever.
Wabs
AG
It appears they are willing to give their new coach whatever it takes (or whatever he wants) to succeed. Was there some reason they weren't willing to do this for Strong?
Al Bula
AG
I think Kyle Field was overbuilt and piecemealed. That being said, DKKR is a complete asymmetrical eyesore.

HTownAg98
It's like when someone has a mobile home and starts adding onto it.
BohunkAg
AG
How can facilities be a problem when they are supposedly the richest program in the world?
Madman
AG
Because burnt orange always looks like *****
ClassOf17
Soooooooo we're the best program ever because we have the best facilities in the nation, right?

Damnit I swear my 5 year old nephew has More sense than Texas fans.
Sapper Redux
RPM said:

I think Kyle Field was overbuilt and piecemealed. That being said, DKKR is a complete asymmetrical eyesore.

I can't figure out if the end zone seats are crooked or if the rest of the stadium is.
aggiehawg
AG
Dodds wanted to close the south endzone for years, but could never get the money lined up because it would require so many other changes. They've had some money, but don't have the land sufficient to place the other offices and facilities that would be displaced.

It will never happen, primarily because the City of Austin is so nucking futs but they really need to consider demolishing the entire stadium and starting over like we did. And to support my contention I point to the huge delay in the tennis facility (neighborhood association fought that it court), the on-going problems trying to replace the soon to be demolished Erwin Center for basketball, etc.

Being landlocked is a bigger problem than soliciting the money. And then there is the local politics.
WestAustinAg
AG
Erin Hogan actually referenced A&Ms superior facilities and that kids like them and he told the listeners to go check them out...
aggiehawg
AG
WestAustinAg said:

Erin Hogan actually referenced A&Ms superior facilities and that kids like them and he told the listeners to go check them out...
That will go over like a lead balloon. Emulating Bama? Good. Emulating A&M? GTFO!
The Collective
AG
Sips don't want our facilities. They cause *****assedness.
HeyMoe
AG
The 2017 F-150s are in the showrooms now.

That's all they need.
CDUB98
AG
Asstin radio just picked up on the talking points memo and are running with it. Nothing more.
etexorange
Quote:

And to support my contention I point to the huge delay in the tennis facility (neighborhood association fought that it court)
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, that's twice today I've read cracks about "tennis courts."

You do realize that work is well underway on the tennis courts next to Disch-Falk Field? It's quite obvious at the corner of 35 and MLK.

Ribbon-cutting scheduled spring 2017
Wildmen03
AG
That tennis facility is a perfect representation of texas athletics.

A giant crater.
HeyMoe
AG
etexorange said:

Quote:

And to support my contention I point to the huge delay in the tennis facility (neighborhood association fought that it court)
I'm not sure what you're talking about here, that's twice today I've read cracks about "tennis courts."

You do realize that work is well underway on the tennis courts next to Disch-Falk Field? It's quite obvious at the corner of 35 and MLK.

I thought that was the new Quidditch field.
SlackerAg
AG
So if a tennis ball flies into the freeway, it'll be another one of those incidents.
Goodfield Nohit
How's the work on the new basketball facility coming along?
Texmid
AG
Maybe they are moving the fences in at Disch **** field to make room for the tennis facility?
brotheraggie
TUCK FEXUS
McInnis80
I hear that it is being financed by a surcharge on Uber fares.
etexorange
Quote:

Since you asked, the preferred location for the new arena was announced in late May 2016.

Flexbone
Sure has taken an incredibly long time to get moving on those facilities. Strange for such a "wealthy" program. Or, they really aren't that wealthy. They'll deny that till they reach the end of the earth because they desperately need to believe it for their egos, nevermind reality not supporting it.
HTownAg98
aggiehawg said:

Dodds wanted to close the south endzone for years, but could never get the money lined up because it would require so many other changes. They've had some money, but don't have the land sufficient to place the other offices and facilities that would be displaced.

It will never happen, primarily because the City of Austin is so nucking futs but they really need to consider demolishing the entire stadium and starting over like we did. And to support my contention I point to the huge delay in the tennis facility (neighborhood association fought that it court), the on-going problems trying to replace the soon to be demolished Erwin Center for basketball, etc.

Being landlocked is a bigger problem than soliciting the money. And then there is the local politics.

Speaking of local politics, the image below is an aerial of dkkkr, with the capital view corridor overlay in orange.
Now, if you've never dealt with development in Austin, a capital view corridor is a limit on building height to keep view corridors open for the capital rotunda. It's a complicated formula based on elevations, but suffice to say, you're not going to demo and rebuild dkkkr within a View corridor and be in compliance. The reason this matters is because the sips have an agreement with the city that any new sip construction will comply with city of Austin codes, even though legally they don't have do. In short, they're ****ed.
etexorange
The capitol (you spelled it wrong) view corridor issue has been taken care of before.

P.S.: It's not the City of Austin, it's the State Legislature. And the law was changed in the late 90s by blessing of Lady Bird Johnson to get around that for the east-side upper deck. HTH.
Schrute
etexorange said:

The capitol (you spelled it wrong) view corridor issue has been taken care of before.

P.S.: It's not the City of Austin, it's the State Legislature. And the law was changed in the late 90s by blessing of Lady Bird Johnson to get around that for the east-side upper deck. HTH.
Thanks for the info. Do you think the your team has not done well the past few years primarily because of coaching, or was it due to being behind in facilities? Your new coach seems to think the latter.
Schrute, I'll answer with my opinion. It was coaching.

Every program, including A&M's, wants to have top facilities for their athletes and to attract recruits.
Wabs
AG
33 said:

Schrute, I'll answer with my opinion. It was coaching.

Every program, including A&M's, wants to have top facilities for their athletes and to attract recruits.
Why all of the (apparent) willingness to focus on upgrading facilities? Is there an expectation that the money will flow in from donors now that Charlie was fired?
Bob Knights Paper Hands
Dr. Watson said:

RPM said:

I can't figure out if the end zone seats are crooked or if the rest of the stadium is.

You expected something at tu to be straight?
petey88
etexorange said:

Quote:

Since you asked, the preferred location for the new arena was announced in late May 2016.

where did you sips move I-35 to ?
WestAustinAg
AG
etexorange said:

Quote:

Not approved or funded. Just a wish list.

In an interview with the Alcalde, UT men's athletics director Mike Perrin, BA '69, JD '71, Life Member, stressed that the preferred location is the best of the on-campus options but that it was just a proposal, no decision has been made, and any proposal would require the approval of UT president Greg Fenves and the UT System Board of Regents. Fenves has seen the report and authorized its release.

"We don't operate in a vacuum here," Perrin said. "It's not like we have a blank check and authorization to go just build these things. It's prudent management to look forward to anticipate needs that you're going to have and how you might fulfill these needs in a physically constrained environment."
RDV-1992
etexorange said:

That's because the law was created for Lady Bird Johnson. The view protected is the view of the capitol building from her office, which was on the top floor of the LBJ Library.
aggiehawg
AG
etexorange said:

Quote:

They were scheduled to break ground way before that. Where were you when Patterson was running around kvetching about the money for the new tennis facility? One of the ways he pissed off the BMDs who support tennis when he implied he didn't have sufficient funds from them yet.

So because they finally broke ground doesn't mean it was timely nor even close to being on schedule. Didn't the tennis coach quit because of it??
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.