Briles sues Baylor officials for libel and conspiracy

7,420 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BMX Bandit
BiochemAg97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BillYeoman said:

Briles will win this. The 3 Baylor I'diots he is suing should've kept their mouth shut when other schools came calling.

It isn't slander or libel if it is the truth.
BiochemAg97
AG
racerfink said:

Any way for them both to lose?

Yes if it goes to trial, both will lose. They both might lose before then too.

The trial will involve Briles trying to prove the statements were false, which I guess is either he didn't know or he reported it. Baylor will have to provide proof he did know and didn't report it.

Several possibilities:
Briles did know and didn't report: he has no real case and instead will just be mid slinging about how this is all Baylors fault for not having a title IX office Briles loses the case, proves to the world he is scum, probably ends up being charged with the crime of failing to report, and Baylors failures gets exposed for the other 90% of the rapes. Briles loses the case.

Briles did know and did report: we all get to see how bad Briles program was, but Baylor PD and Waco PD get thrown under the bus in addition to Baylors title IX failures. Baylor loses the case.

Briles did not know: Briles system of plausible deniability is exposed as he should have known. Baby Briles and SIL get thrown under the bus. Nobody wants to work for or with Briles again and his family is torn apart. We see how bad Briles program was. Baylor loses the case.
AGBOOSTER
BillYeoman said:

Briles will win this. The 3 Baylor Idiots he is suing should've kept their mouth shut when other schools came calling.
Your very own uh being one of the other schools, Bill.
AGBOOSTER
Quote:

Briles did know and did report: we all get to see how bad Briles program was, but Baylor PD and Waco PD get thrown under the bus in addition to Baylor's title IX failures. Baylor loses the case.
That's the outcome I'm rooting for.
OPAG
AG
I'm not much for legal semantics but I do have an some what uncanny knack for seeing or remembering the obvious.

To me this is really simple, I am sure more then one of the victims has sought to sue Briles because they said they reported their assaults to him.

The only way that Brile's can beat that is to somehow prove these victims were lying!

Art does not have very good track record in this regard, he said he knew nothing about the transfer from Boise State. Peterson said otherwise.

The burden of proof is on Briles to prove those victims (more then one if I recall) who stated they had contacted Briles or coaches actually did not and are lying. Good luck with that.

I think this is an attempt by Briles to flush out the closet. I don't think there is any doubt that Briles was not only one involved with cover up. He doesn't want to be the only fall guy.

I think there are other regents who want to see Briles back as coach and want to see Baylor football relevant at any cost as well. They want these regents out so they can take control.

There is civil war going on in the board of regents. It's really insidious.

The Collective
AG
dreyOO said:

Likely, he set up a system so he would be several layers removed from the real dirty stuff. So now it must be killing him that he can't claim his innocence.

I suppose he could claim that he knew nothing... but it'd suck to burn his own staff on the issue, especially since two members of the staff are relatives. This guy is hosed, but I guess this makes it official that UH really did seek out inside information on the matter and RAN HARD. Whatever they were told was so bad that they had to issue a ****ing press release on Briles as a potential candidate. Unprecedented.
Rocky Rider
AG

Quote:

Regents first told The Wall Street Journal in October that 17 women had reported domestic violence or sexual assaults that involved 19 football players since 2011, including four gang rapes.

This is just hard to believe.

It's time to burn the place down. Everybody goes and start over.
The Collective
AG
I saw on Baylorfans that it isn't as bad as it seems because Baylor's PR firm was treating a threesome rape like a gang rape. Also, I'm sure the female drank and wore tight jeans, soooooo....
CDUB98
AG
CJS4715 said:

I saw on Baylorfans that it isn't as bad as it seems because Baylor's PR firm was treating a threesome rape like a gang rape. Also, I'm sure the female drank and wore tight jeans, soooooo....
So how many low-life thugs does it take to be a gang rape then? Dumbass Baylol.

The level of denial amongst those morons is unreal. I wouldn't doubt if some of the loudest deniers are also some of the most pious jackwagons around as well.
HtownAg92
AG
Once again, Briles proves how painfully he lacks common sense and self-awareness. His best shot at getting another job is to sit quietly and let the scandal wither away over time. Based on the supposed lack of details in the PH report, he could have a plausible (maybe not believable) claim that there was no specific finding of fault in the report. Instead, he decides to bring it all back front and center, and pretty much ensure that those vague allegations of his fault get clarified and supported by specific facts. Those anonymous victims who implicated Briles will now be deposed by the defendants.

And Briles' lawyer continues to show his idiocy. Briles is a public figure, no matter what his lawyer claims in the lawsuit. That means the standard for defamation ramps up to an almost impossible level of proof - actual malice (essentially knowledge that what you say is false). For the regents, that would mean that not only the PH oral report was false, but they knew it was false when they heard it. Good luck proving that.

Anything that adds another stick to the fire that burns that place to the ground is great for everyone, though. Keep up the "good" fight, CAB.
Mathguy64
AG
So let me get this straight. He lawyered up to get money to settle his termination. I would assume that settlement would have included clauses prohibiting either party from saying nasty things about the other or coming back later and suing the other. I'm not a lawyer but I damn sure would have included that in the settlement agreement. And now he's back suing some of the members of the actual board he settled with? I wonder if he's gotten all of his money from the original settlement. If not I would be cutting those funds off immediately.
yippee2
AG
Don't under estimate his lawyer.
aggiehawg
AG
yippee2 said:

Oh his lawyer is pretty good, but also bombastic and prone to exaggeration. His pleadings read more like a steamy novel than regular legalese.

Briles is going to regret this move. Weird strategy. Don't sue the The Wall Street Journal who published the story that Briles objected to. Don't sue on the basis of the settlement agreement with the non-disclosure and non-disparagement clause (presumably).

Instead sue individual BOR members and Ramsower? For defamation?
goodAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

yippee2 said:

Oh his lawyer is pretty good, but also bombastic and prone to exaggeration. His pleadings read more like a steamy novel than regular legalese.

Briles is going to regret this move. Weird strategy. Don't sue the The Wall Street Journal who published the story that Briles objected to. Don't sue on the basis of the settlement agreement with the non-disclosure and non-disparagement clause (presumably).

Instead sue individual BOR members and Ramsower? For defamation?
Briles probably wants to get the board to start protecting his reputation as the best way to clear his name for future work. He probably doesn't want to go to trial.
80s Guy
I haven't read all the crap associated with this but I would think that his settlement would keep him from suing Baylor directly but since he is going after individuals, does that make a difference?

I only ever took one law class but it damn sure didn't cover this!
The Collective
AG
Does he have a case since Baylor officials seem to be making comments still while attempting to save their own ass and explain away Briles' firing to pissed off alums? It doesn't seem like they've done a good job of keeping their mouths shut - assuming that was agreed to in the buyout/termination process.
aggiehawg
AG
80s Guy said:

I haven't read all the crap associated with this but I would think that his settlement would keep him from suing Baylor directly but since he is going after individuals, does that make a difference?

I only ever took one law class but it damn sure didn't cover this!
Subsequent acts (such as dissing him for the UH job) wouldn't be covered by the mutual release. It would give rise to a cause of action under the settlement agreement if it contained a non-disclosure/non-disparagement clause. Such clauses are standard in many settlement agreements. Considering the circumstances of Briles' termination, it would practically be malpractice not to have those clauses in there.

Now, if the Houston job is the thrust of Briles' complaint, the question becomes whether those BOR members were acting in their official capacity when they allegedly spoke with officials from UH. Tillman was quoted as saying he wanted some "clarity" on the Briles termination from the Baylor BOR. Was there an official request from UH? Or did Tillman place a few phone calls to friends? Or did they call him in response to his public comment?

If they were acting in their official capacity, Baylor could be a defendant in a lawsuit but again it would be based on the earlier settlement agreement and violation of those terms. Only if they were not acting in their official capacity could they be theoretically liable personally.

When UH issued an official press release saying Briles was not being considered for the coaching vacancy, that was odd. Both that they said it and how forcefully it was worded.
schwack schwack
AG
This thread is gonna be great reading. Thanks for the lawyerly input, aggiehawg.
aggiehawg
AG
Posted this on the zoo. Reposting it here in case anyone is interested. You can read the complaint here.

It's a doozy.
goodAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

Posted this on the zoo. Reposting it here in case anyone is interested. You can read the complaint here.

It's a doozy.

Briles quoting this is rich.

"Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor".

Here is a quote he should consider.

"First cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye."
AgDotCom
The pleadings begin with Exodus 20:16?

I'm a believer and I read the Bible, even go to Bible conferences. But I'd never invoke The Word in an Earthly document like this in an attempt to affirm or validate what I'm doing. Troubling.

Yes, I do talk crap on here. But like I said, I'm a believer, I'm not Jesus and don't pretend to be. Nobody is.
aggiehawg
AG
I think Briles is approaching paranoid schizophrenic stage. He's nuts.
End Of Message
AG
aggiehawg said:

I think Briles is approaching paranoid schizophrenic stage. He's nuts.

Do you think he'll coach again?
titanmaster_race
aggiehawg said:

It's a doozy.

Boodlum
AG
The part of the lawsuit in which they state that the regents are allowing criminals to roam free is a nice touch. Seems like Briles has some blame there as he brought them in, no?
titanmaster_race
Especially after Chris Peterson told him about one of the rapists.....

But I guess Briles still claims he knew nothing about that guy's character. Lol what a pos
goodAg80
AG
Quote:

"Some people think themselves above the law, but the laws of Texas establish accountability for everyone, even renegade, self-dealing regents of a Christian university," Briles' lawsuit states.
The Collective
AG
I thought some of you said Briles has a good attorney. Is there some point where your client pushes you to do stupid things that you attempt to dissuade them from doing?
bigdad
AG
It's just wonderful to see a school built on litigiousness and full of lawyers tripping over all themselves to sue one another.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
aggiehawg
AG
CJS4715 said:

I thought some of you said Briles has a good attorney. Is there some point where your client pushes you to do stupid things that you attempt to dissuade them from doing?
The question is when does your client not push you to do stupid things?? I've had divorces delayed for six months arguing over who gets the 30 dollar shower massage head.

Briles' lawyer is a Personal Injury lawyer also affectionately referred to as "ambulance chaser." He's a bit melodramatic by nature. Having a POS thin-skinned a-hole like Briles as a client enables him to stretch his histrionic legs a bit.

Of course it is borderline unprofessional and were I the sitting judge I would roll my eyes over those pleadings and entertain a motion to strike some of that crap for failure to state a claim.
McInnis80
Why was the case filed in Llano County? Is that the home of one of the Regents?
aggiehawg
AG
McInnis80 said:

Why was the case filed in Llano County? Is that the home of one of the Regents?

Where Briles lived. He got the hell out of Waco this summer.
HTownAg98
Here's the lawsuit is anyone wants to read it. It's a doozy.
https://www.scribd.com/document/333674171/Briles-Plaintiff-Original-Petition-w-Exhibits#from_embed
BMX Bandit
BillYeoman said:

Briles will win this. The 3 Baylor I'diots he is suing should've kept their mouth shut when other schools came calling.

Briles has dropped his lawsuit. Good call.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.