Briles sues Baylor officials for libel and conspiracy

3 Views | 67 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by BMX Bandit
. . .
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Art Briles sues Baylor officials for libel and conspiracy

Quote:

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Former Baylor football coach Art Briles is suing three school regents and a vice president for libel and slander, accusing them of falsely stating he knew of reported assaults and alleged gang rapes by players and didn't report them.

The lawsuit also asserts that Baylor officials conspired to keep him from getting another coaching job.

The lawsuit was filed in Llano County in Central Texas. It names Baylor regents Chairman Ronald Murff, board members J. Cary Gray and David Harper, and Baylor Vice President Reagan Ramsower.

Baylor officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
RyanAg08
AG
I'm not a lawyer, but how can you prove any of that?
TefIon Don
AG
The heat coming off that dumpster fire is about to rival the sun's.
The Wonderer
AG
Aero95
AG
Just when you thought it couldn't get any more entertaining...
Warrior Poet
AG
The entire report should be discoverable due to these allegations. We will eventually get to see the entire thing.
petey88

Llano County ?

I thought briles said he would have a job by December, but I guess not. He's sitting around the Christmas tree at Horseshoe Bay throwing darts
brazagg
AG
This gonna be good!
Flashdiaz
AG
Interesting... I wonder why it took him this long. Losing the UH job must have been the final straw.
Tom Doniphon
This should be delicious.
. . .
Link
Quote:

The lawsuit also asserts that Baylor officials conspired to damage his reputation and keep him from getting another coaching job. It also seeks damages for emotional distress and likely ending his career as a coach "on any level.
Quote:

"Some people think themselves above the law, but the laws of Texas establish accountability for everyone, even renegade, self-dealing regents of a Christian university," Briles' lawsuit states.
Quote:

The lawsuit accuses the regents and Ramsower of spreading false information through media interviews with Texas and national outlets on the advice of a recently-hired media relations firm, G.F. Bunting + Co., which was not named as a defendant.
Quote:

Regents first told The Wall Street Journal in October that 17 women had reported domestic violence or sexual assaults that involved 19 football players since 2011, including four gang rapes.

Those figures had never been disclosed to Briles when he was fired or during his settlement after he sued for wrongful termination, Briles' lawsuit said.
Quote:

Briles argues that releasing those figures was intended to falsely portray him as hiding knowledge of alleged attacks. Allegations that he knew about and failed to report the alleged attacks are "false" and created to "expose Coach Briles to public hatred, contempt, ridicule and cause him financial injury," the lawsuit says.
Quote:

"These defendants have been relentless in their false attacks upon Coach Briles in the media despite his repeated requests they cease and retract their onslaught of untruths," the lawsuit said.
Quote:

The Briles lawsuit notes the Pepper Hamilton report criticized said the university failed to set up proper investigation procedures. Regents are now trying to hide their failures by scapegoating Briles, the lawsuit says.
Quote:

"By their actions, the (Baylor officials) are allowing the alleged rapists and assaulters to walk free, thereby confirming that they are more interested in ruining Coach Briles' name, reputation and career than they ae bringing criminals to justice," the lawsuit said.
Agasaurus Tex
AG
Dis gon be good -folding chair gif-
Dumpster Fire
End Of Message
DifferenceMaker Ag

and also...

CDUB98
AG
YOU'RE STILL BAYLOR!!
marble rye
AG
Where da PH report at? DISCOVERY
aggiehawg
AG
Briles won't get another HC job while this case is pending. And it will consume him. Lawsuits like this are nastier than high profile divorces.

Briles has chosen a path of self-destruction here. Incredibly stupid. But Briles has always thought more highly of himself than he should have.

Will be entertaining though.
HTownAg98
J_R said:

Link
Quote:

The lawsuit also asserts that Baylor officials conspired to damage his reputation and keep him from getting another coaching job. It also seeks damages for emotional distress and likely ending his career as a coach "on any level.
Quote:

"Some people think themselves above the law, but the laws of Texas establish accountability for everyone, even renegade, self-dealing regents of a Christian university," Briles' lawsuit states.
Quote:

The lawsuit accuses the regents and Ramsower of spreading false information through media interviews with Texas and national outlets on the advice of a recently-hired media relations firm, G.F. Bunting + Co., which was not named as a defendant.
Quote:

Regents first told The Wall Street Journal in October that 17 women had reported domestic violence or sexual assaults that involved 19 football players since 2011, including four gang rapes.

Those figures had never been disclosed to Briles when he was fired or during his settlement after he sued for wrongful termination, Briles' lawsuit said.
Quote:

Briles argues that releasing those figures was intended to falsely portray him as hiding knowledge of alleged attacks. Allegations that he knew about and failed to report the alleged attacks are "false" and created to "expose Coach Briles to public hatred, contempt, ridicule and cause him financial injury," the lawsuit says.
Quote:

"These defendants have been relentless in their false attacks upon Coach Briles in the media despite his repeated requests they cease and retract their onslaught of untruths," the lawsuit said.
Quote:

The Briles lawsuit notes the Pepper Hamilton report criticized said the university failed to set up proper investigation procedures. Regents are now trying to hide their failures by scapegoating Briles, the lawsuit says.
Quote:

"By their actions, the (Baylor officials) are allowing the alleged rapists and assaulters to walk free, thereby confirming that they are more interested in ruining Coach Briles' name, reputation and career than they ae bringing criminals to justice," the lawsuit said.

Vagueness in legal threats is a form of meritless thuggery.
Prune Tracy
Art be like:
goodAg80
AG
aggiehawg said:

Briles won't get another HC job while this case is pending. And it will consume him. Lawsuits like this are nastier than high profile divorces.

Briles has chosen a path of self-destruction here. Incredibly stupid. But Briles has always thought more highly of himself than he should have.

Will be entertaining though.
I started reading this without seeing who wrote it. It seemed really lucid and checked: sure enough it was Hawg.

Briles seems to only understand how to be offensive.

brainman5000
AG
How would checking with a potential new hire's previous employers be considered "conspiring" against him? Especially when said employee was terminated? I'd certainly want to check things out before offering a multi-million dollar contract or potentially opening myself up to future legal trouble.
AgDotCom
I wonder how hard Briles' attorney tried to talk him out of going forward with this. I would think he tried.

Nothing like discovery and testimony taking the lid off the sewer pipe and making everyone's day more interesting.
dreyOO
Aero95 said:

Just when you thought it couldn't get any more entertaining...

Impossible. The baylols have done an amazing job at extending this fiasco well past its original shelf life.

****ing imbeciles. Jason Cook must've gotten a whole lot of money.
dreyOO
And poor ol Art. "He didn't know anything."

Likely, he set up a system so he would be several layers removed from the real dirty stuff. So now it must be killing him that he can't claim his innocence.

What a real POS. No idea how he's gonna win this without looking even worse.
BillYeoman
Briles will win this. The 3 Baylor I'diots he is suing should've kept their mouth shut when other schools came calling.
Potcake
AG
Quote:

Likely, he set up a system so he would be several layers removed from the real dirty stuff.

That would be the Corleone system.

Yea, lot's of buffers.
AgDotCom
BillYeoman said:

Briles will win this. The 3 Baylor I'diots he is suing should've kept their mouth shut when other schools came calling.
Fill us in, Bill.

Did Tillman want him, then go through DD with Baylor, then certain Baylor folks went out of their way to smear CAB?

Curious if UH turning him down was the straw that stirred the drink.
Tom Doniphon
Bill believed that "uncle Tillman" would keep herman from leaving. I doubt he knows sh--t.
ham98
If this causes the PH report to go public we all win! Besides baylol that is. Nobody gives a f((( about you guys.
TennAg
Did Briles draft this? It sounds more like cheap political ad copy than anything.
2wealfth Man
AG
Lots of conjecture in those accusations. I truly wonder how many attorneys and how much in legal fees this is gonna involve so #cab can make himself employable. Hope Ruhle is still happy with his decision.
Red Rover
AG
I hope Baylor lawyers finally make him answer an A&M question! Following this lawsuit will be like watching tu play Baylor. You can't really root for any side to win but you can pick which side you want to lose worse.
racerfink
Any way for them both to lose?
HTownAg98
Red Rover said:

I hope Baylor lawyers finally make him answer an A&M question!

We'll just mark that as unresponsive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.