Malik of Nazareth: The sip' team leader leads his sip team by leading like a leader

5,948 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MooreTrucker
StephenvilleAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Written by Jeff Howe, sip247 staff reporter

Quote:

"Jefferson already embracing being an upperclassman"

AUSTIN Since the day he set foot on the Texas campus Malik Jefferson has been in a leadership position.

Viewed as the face of the program given that his commitment was the first that proved Charlie Strong could recruit at an elite level on the Forty Acres, Jefferson has struggled at times during his first two years to find his fit as a leader.

That's not the case as he heads into his junior season, even as Tom Herman has taken over the program after Jefferson's two seasons playing under Strong yielded consecutive 5-7 records.

As he sat inside the Moncrief Complex taking questions from the media following the team's season-ending 31-9 loss to TCU, Jefferson stopped twiddling a pair of gold hoop earrings in his hands long enough to think about what's next.

The next time Jefferson steps on the field for a game, which will be when Texas opens the 2017 season at home next Sept. 2, he'll be a junior. With that said, the process of playing and carrying himself like an upperclassman started early for the Butkus Award semifinalist.

"It started today, honestly," Jefferson said after the loss to the Horned Frogs.

Herman has only had one team meeting with his new squad. The fall semester coming to a close and the Longhorns not being bowl eligible means Herman's work won't begin in terms of building toward 2017 with his players until the players return for the start of the spring semester in January.

In the meantime, Jefferson and other leaders in the locker room have time to think about what they're going to do to help the program get out of the vicious cycle the Longhorns find themselves.

Quote:

Jefferson said several times following the loss to TCU that regardless of what were to happen to Strong (he was fired the following morning following a 16-21 record in three seasons on the job), improvement in the win column won't happen until the players take it upon themselves to change things.
Quote:

After a slow start to his sophomore season that included being benched in the second half of a loss to Kansas State and having to come off of the bench against Baylor, Jefferson finished strong. He recorded 22 tackles, five tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks over the last four games in which he played (he missed the Kansas game due to injury and missed all but one series in the West Virginia game), showing that he's already started to take it upon himself to change things through his actions.
Quote:

"We said in the locker room that this can't happen again," Jefferson said. "I know we've said that multiple times already, we said that last year. But it's really in our hands."

The Collective
AG
Quote:

He recorded 22 tackles, five tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks over the last four games in which he played (he missed the Kansas game due to injury and missed all but one series in the West Virginia game), showing that he's already started to take it upon himself to change things through his actions.

Try to diagram this. This is Ketch-level confusion.
Flashdiaz
AG
"We said in the locker room that this can't happen again," Jefferson said. "I know we've said that multiple times already, we said that last year. But it's really in our hands."

Wildcat
AG
Their persistence in rubbing that turd in the hope it will one day shine is truly impressive.
MooreTrucker
AG
CJS4715 said:

Quote:

He recorded 22 tackles, five tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks over the last four games in which he played (he missed the Kansas game due to injury and missed all but one series in the West Virginia game), showing that he's already started to take it upon himself to change things through his actions.

Try to diagram this. This is Ketch-level confusion.
I figured it out but it made my stomach hurt.
Jock 07
AG
Flashdiaz said:

something about the definition of insanity.
elfurioso92
AG
Quote:

After a slow start to his sophomore season that included being benched in the second half of a loss to Kansas State and having to come off of the bench against Baylor, Jefferson finished strong. He recorded 22 tackles, five tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks over the last four games in which he played (he missed the Kansas game due to injury and missed all but one series in the West Virginia game), showing that he's already started to take it upon himself to change things through his actions.
Change things through his actions? What actions, not sucking so badly that you get benched?
PaRappa
I wonder when he signed if he realized he would not even make a bowl or see a .500 season before his junior year.

Dr. Doctor
AG
StephenvilleAg77 said:

Written by Jeff Howe, sip247 staff reporter

Quote:

I think it would be easier just to say what games he DID play instead of which he didn't....
aggieRB
Butkus Award Semi-Finalist????
I would take Shaun Washington any day over this Linebacker imposter.
brainman5000
AG
aggieRB said:

I would take Shaun Washington any day over this Linebacker imposter.

Well, Te'o's fictitious girlfriend was a Heisman finalist...
AgOutsideAustin
AG
shut up and tackle somebody Malik.
petey88

exactly what I thought. I don't watch sip games, but did flip over to catch a few updates of scoring. All I ever saw of him was a nonchalant effort, make a couple of steps, avoid contact, stand around, and do it all over again.

AtlAg05
AG
Quote:

Viewed as the face of the program given that his commitment was the first that proved Charlie Strong could recruit at an elite level on the Forty Acres

How the hell do you write this about a guy that just got canned because he couldn't win at an elite level on the Forty Acres?
W
AG
22 tackles in 4 games for a middle linebacker is considered "finishing strong?"

hilarious
Hood
AG
10-14 with his "leadership".

Never been to a bowl.

I wouldn't follow.
StephenvilleAg77
W said:

hilarious
Yep.

Each of the other nine teams in the Big12 had at least one starting linebacker that averaged more tackles per game than Leak-leak, and some B12 teams had two.

And that is in the worst defensive conference in America.

88jrt06
AG
aggieRB said:

Typo.
It's the "Blake Gideon Award" for top chaser.
GrapevineAg
AG
He has a future as a cord guy - following a coach up and down the sideline holding his headset cord.
Jock 07
AG
Quote:

Come on guys, he's really serious this time.
Decay
AG
W said:

hilarious

He literally finished Strong
Rocagnante
AG
Flashdiaz said:

JM13
Really tired of hearing about this kid
Nixter
AG
I bet Jeff Howe is really proud of that piece. There isn't even any need to parody them.
dixichkn
AG
Doesn't matter, momma got paid is happy
txjortsagent
AG
Didn't Dat have over 20 tackles in a single game multiple times?
Smithjg

Quote:

Viewed as the face of the program given that his commitment was the first that proved Charlie Strong could recruit at an elite level on the Forty Acres, Jefferson has struggled at times during his first two years to find his fit as a leader tackle anybody.

FIFH!
farmersfightatm
2nd Team AP All-BDF...and Anthony Wheeler had more tackles and was more effective than he was...media will put him in the Heisman conversation next year...what a joke...
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
txjortsagent said:

In a day and age when teams didn't run 100 plays/game
Harry Stone
AG
Ive never seen such a ****ty player get so hyped and rewarded all while still being so ****ty.
Flashdiaz
AG
Harry Stone said:

Ive never seen such a ****ty player get so hyped and rewarded all while still being so ****ty.
it's the same effect as an average looking chick in a room full of uglies.
Humorous Username
AG
AgStuckinLBK said:

txjortsagent said:

In a day and age when teams didn't run 100 plays/game

Meanwhile, "Scooby" Wright averaged 9 tackles per game in a similar defense during this day and age of 100 plays/game.

Leak-leak is slightly more useful for the texas defense than a blocking dummy.
MooreTrucker
AG
Flashdiaz said:

Harry Stone said:

it's the same effect as an average looking chick in a room full of uglies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.