AAS: "Texas Regents Approve Tom Herman’s $25 Million Guaranteed Deal"

12,790 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by txjortsagent
Charlie 31
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texas Regents Approve Tom Herman's $25 Million Guaranteed Deal; New Coach Will Receive Five-Year Contract That Starts With A $5.25 Million Base Salary, Escalates $250,000 Annually

Austin American-Statesman

By: Brian Davis

Posted December 3rd, 2016

New Texas football coach Tom Herman, left, and UT president Gregory Fenves, right, leave a news conference where Herman was introduced to the media, Sunday, Nov. 27, 2016, in Austin. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Texas is betting Tom Herman is worth at least $25 million and hopefully much more.

The UT System Board of Regents approved a five-year contract for the Longhorns' new football coach in a rare Saturday afternoon meeting.

The overall structure of the deal is similar to what former coach Charlie Strong received, but Herman will start with a slightly higher base salary.

Tom Herman talks to the media during a news conference at which he was introduced as Texas' new head football coach on Nov. 27 in Austin. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)

Strong made $5.2 million for the 2016 season. Herman will earn $5.25 million in 2017 and watch his base salary escalate by $250,000 annually. The contract tops out at $6.25 million for the 2021 season. Should Herman be terminated without cause, he'll receive $5 million for every year remaining on his deal.
It took UT President Gregory L. Fenves eight days to fire Strong, hire Herman and get a new deal approved by UT System regents.

"Well, we've got a great coach," Fenves said. "Once we make the decision, I like to get things done.
Strong was 16-21 over the past three seasons. He had the lowest winning percentage (.432) of any coach in Texas football history. Herman is 22-4 in his only two seasons as a head coach, both at Houston.

"I think we have a very good contract," Fenves said. "It's a very competitive contract. It's very fair to coach Herman, and it's fair to the university, so I think we have a balanced contract."

The contract includes more built-in features to protect the university. For the first time in UT history, the head football coach's contract has a buyout provision and it's a hefty one. Should Herman leave UT, he would owe the school $3 million for every year remaining on his deal plus the total compensation due to his assistants.

Herman already owes Houston officials $2.5 million for leaving town, according to the terms of his contract there. Fenves confirmed that UT officials are in discussions with Houston about that buyout.
There is also a retention bonus on Herman's UT deal. Herman will receive $1 million if he's still at Texas on Dec. 25, 2019.

Regent Alex Cranberg said he believed this contract was more "performance driven" than what Strong received. Strong is still owed at least $10.4 million for the final two years of his guaranteed contract.

"The guarantee structure of the past contract associated with previous administrations are, in my opinion, absolutely disastrous and frankly embarrassing to me as somebody who did in fact vote for them," Cranberg said.

Herman's contract includes various performance bonuses that could capture an extra $575,000 annually should he hit them all. For example, Herman would receive an additional $100,000 if Texas plays in the Big 12 championship game, which will return in 2017. He'd get another $250,000 if Texas wins the College Football Playoff championship.

Texas athletic director Mike Perrin said Herman's staff will likely receive multiyear contracts, much as Strong's staff received.

"That seems to be the standard of what's trending in the market, and we need to be competitive," he said.
Perrin said he was pleased to have regents' approval and now the athletic department can move forward.
"And he's off to a great start," Fenves said of his new football coach. "He's been recruiting all week, working on his staffing, calling a lot of people in Longhorn nation. So he's off to a great start."
aggiehawg
AG
There's some desperation and fear in that contract.
The Collective
AG
A buyout if he leaves for elsewhere? Aren't they Texas?
Aggie304
aggiehawg said:

There's some desperation and fear in that contract.
Jock 07
AG
Buyout U
45-70Ag
AG
They're both ******s
AgDotCom
Quote:

Herman already owes Houston officials $2.5 million for leaving town, according to the terms of his contract there. Fenves confirmed that UT officials are in discussions with Houston about that buyout.
Discussions? I'm sure UH is in the mood to discuss or negotiate after the BDF expansion charade.

I would think the discussion goes something like this: "Fork over the $2.5MM and don't call us back, *******".
The Collective
AG
Maybe Herman will get the Joe Wickline treatment from UT.
DatTallArchitect
AG
Someone sucks at math. According to what the title reads, he will make 28.75 mil in guaranteed money.
Year 1 = 5.25
Year 2 = 5.50 ---10.75
Year 3 = 5.75 ---16.50
Year 4 = 6.00 ---22.50
Year 5 = 6.25 ---28.75

Even if he didn't get the guaranteed raises, he would still make a guaranteed 26.25.

I'll be curious how the next few years go.
HTownAg98
CJS4715 said:

A buyout if he leaves for elsewhere? Aren't they Texas?

It would only take another Urban Meyer chest pain episode for him to go to OSU.
mellison
AG
Charlie 31 said:

There is also a retention bonus on Herman's UT deal. Herman will receive $1 million if he's still at Texas on Dec. 25, 2019.

Sounds like Herman made it known during the contract negotiations phase that Texas isn't Herman's dream job. It's telling that there is both a back door for Herman and a "please don't leave us" bonus at year three.
TAMUdoc88
AG
I love the "retention bonus" if he lasts 3 years. Basically an extra million for not being Charlie Strong. Merry freakin Christmas, Tommy Boy.

ETA: I'm slow.
AgEng06
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Someone sucks at math. According to what the title reads, he will make 28.75 mil in guaranteed money.
Year 1 = 5.25
Year 2 = 5.50 ---10.75
Year 3 = 5.75 ---16.50
Year 4 = 6.00 ---22.50
Year 5 = 6.25 ---28.75

Even if he didn't get the guaranteed raises, he would still make a guaranteed 26.25.

The actual guaranteed part is $25MM (or actually 25.25 since he will get 5.25 for year 1, and 5 for each year after if he's fired).
aggiehawg
AG
mellison said:

Charlie 31 said:

Sounds like Herman made it known during the contract negotiations phase that Texas isn't Herman's dream job. It's telling that there is both a back door for Herman and a "please don't leave us" bonus at year three.
There is one other possibility, albeit slight. The F250 trucks. They have to keep Charlie Strong and his staff quiet and that means happy. But there is still the risk that the horns are looking at some recruiting violations and NCAA issues.

Herman would be out of there in a nanosecond if there was a bowl ban and schollie limits for a few years. That contract has golden handcuffs.

And after the debacle that is the LHN, one things the sips know all too well, it is golden handcuffs.
BBQ4Me
AG
No guaranteed gold grill?? Herman needs a better agent
texag84
AG
No money from dental dam sponsorship?

He does need a new agent
aggiehawg
AG
For several years Les Miles had a "Michigan Clause" in his contract with LSU. If he left for the Michigan job, it was penalty free for him. (Doesn't mean Michigan might not have to pay LSU something, just that Miles wouldn't personally owe it.)
BiochemAg97
AG

Quote:

For the first time in UT history, the head football coach's contract has a buyout provision and it's a hefty one. Should Herman leave UT, he would owe the school $3 million for every year remaining on his deal plus the total compensation due to his assistants.
so full of it. Charlie had the paying the compensation due to his assistants clause too. Splitting hairs to not call the that a "buyout".

Curious as to why they are afraid of Herman bailing on them for somewhere else. When was the last time tu had a coach leave on their own instead of getting fired.
StephenvilleAg77
The buyout clause is an undeniable admission to cfb reality: thanks to conference realignment and the decisions made by Dodds and Powers, the Utex head football job has become a stepping stone job.

That's what happens when you choose to be a member school of a weak, small market, defacto midmajor conference.
BiochemAg97
AG
DatTallArchitect said:

Year 1 = 5.25
Year 2 = 5.50 ---10.75
Year 3 = 5.75 ---16.50
Year 4 = 6.00 ---22.50
Year 5 = 6.25 ---28.75

If they fire him early, it is only 5 per remaining year instead of the current salary for the remaining time that Strong had.
HTownAg98
Herman is only worth $50,000 more in year 1 to the sips than Strong. Let that sink in.
aggiehawg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Herman is only worth $50,000 more in year 1 to the sips than Strong. Let that sink in.
Strong was vastly overpaid. Think about that. Herman may be vastly overpaid too.

I still have to wonder why the need to get this deal done overnight. Calling a special BOR meeting to approve the contract. They wanted Herman locked down with no escape hatch. Reminds me of the Fran/Bama situation.
HTownAg98
It also makes me wonder how much LSU was willing to pay. Les's contract was $4.3MM this year. You have to think LSU was willing to offer at least $5MM. Either LSU didn't really want Herman, or the bottom fell out of the Herman market after the Memphis loss.
aggiehawg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

It also makes me wonder how much LSU was willing to pay. Les's contract was $4.3MM this year. You have to think LSU was willing to offer at least $5MM. Either LSU didn't really want Herman, or the bottom fell out of the Herman market after the Memphis loss.
Jimbo was at 6.5 million, so apparently LSU was able to pay that. This was an Alleva problem, I think. The guy is a jerk and reacts emotionally. Herman ticked him off and he bailed.
Texan1976
A friend of mine was a GA with Herman at Texas and is one of his best friends. Herman is going to hire him at Texas.

Anyway, he told me Herman's top 3 jobs in order were Texas, A&M and LSU.

He also told me Herman had zero interest in coaching UH if it got into the Big 12. Herman thought UH had a much better shot at getting into the playoff at UH if it was in the AAC.

I would seriously doubt Herman leaves Texas for any other college job.
goodAg80
AG
Texan1976 said:

I am sure that is what Charlie thought, too.
titanmaster_race
$25mill for a guy with 2 years HC experience????

BWAHAHAHAHA
Maroon Dawn
AG
If you can beat Memphis, you can beat Kansas!

.....oh
AgResearch
AG
Texan1976 said:

Urban Meyer isn't going to be at Ohio State forever...
aggiehawg
AG
AgResearch said:

Texan1976 said:

Urban Meyer isn't going to be at Ohio State forever...
I think Harbaugh leaves Michigan before Urban leaves Columbus (barring natural causes).

That wouldn't be a bad gig for Herman, either. Neither would Bama. I know people always say, "You don't want to be the guy after the legend," but recent history has shown a lot of coaches have won a national title by being that guy.

Saban will leave a cupboard so stocked, his replacement could win two.
StephenvilleAg77
Quote:

Pretty obvious the Utex BOR is more informed and has information sources you don't. They understand the business reality of the bdf: for a head cfb coach with goals of being at the top, there are several substantially better jobs than Utex.

Hth.
Texan1976
StephenvilleAg77 said:

Quote:

Pretty obvious the Utex BOR is more informed and has information sources you don't. They understand the business reality of the bdf: for a head cfb coach with goals of being at the top, there are several substantially better jobs than Utex.

Hth.

Texas is a top 3 job. You don't leave even a top 10 job for another college job unless maybe you're going home as an alum.

You can post all the delusional **** you want about conference affiliation. But the SEC hasn't made A&M a more desirable job for coaches. Recruiting isn't easier. You already had money. Path to playoffs is harder.

There is an argument that A&M is now a worse job than it was before the move.
aggiehawg
AG
Texan1976 said:

StephenvilleAg77 said:

Quote:

Hth.

Texas is a top 3 job. You don't leave even a top 10 job for another college job unless maybe you're going home as an alum.

You can post all the delusional **** you want about conference affiliation. But the SEC hasn't made A&M a more desirable job for coaches. Recruiting isn't easier. You already had money. Path to playoffs is harder.

Let's see. On TV every week, mostly national coverage. Higher rated TV broadcasts, better recruits, a s***ton more money, better facilities than 97% of other programs. Top dollar for coaching staffs.

And it is a worse job?

Do tell. This should be fun on a rainy Sunday afternoon.
HTownAg98
Texan1976 said:

StephenvilleAg77 said:

Quote:

Hth.

It is, but it's a ****ty and delusional argument.
Texan1976
You guys are working on two decades without a conference title. The move made even making it to the conference title game harder. Arky is working on thirty years without one. Their station in college football hasn't improved by moving to the SEC.

You have always recruited pretty well. I don't see all that much improvement on that front. You're at best third in your own division for recruits. 4th when Ole Miss decides to open their wallet.

I'm truthfully not trying to talk ***** I saw A&M as a top 15 job before the SEC. And about the same now.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.