Real Estate
Sponsored by

Full Home Generator Recs - Propane Run

1,608 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Aggiehunter34
tjones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Would like to have one installed in the next couple of months. Any particular brands yall recommend? The only one I'm familiar with is Generac.
Furlock Bones
AG
outdoors board or home improvement will probably give you more answers.

but, Generac owns like 80% of this market. you pay a premium for the name. but, they have the most cohesive integration as well.
UmustBKidding
I say Cummins or Kohler.
One power plant site I supported the Generac was the one that ALWAYS failed to start when an outage occurred. The seem to self test fine but always required intervention when you needed it the most. But these were industrial Diesel models.
Current customer just spent about 30K doing a refurbish on their large NG Generac since it would seldom hold their load. They are waiting for the load bank test but are hopeful.
Cummins sells both with their name place and also branded Onan. They have been the gold standard in the RV market for years and local friend installed one last year and has been very pleased.
tjones
AG
Great info; Thank you.
jopatura
AG
We have a Champion that runs off natural gas and is tied into our system. My only complaint about it is that it runs automatically, even in the middle of the night. I wish we could set 8am - 8pm hours on it for auto run and then decide to we need to manually kick it on in the middle of the night. Otherwise it's worked flawlessly.
SteveBott
AG
What Firlock said. Search OB and HI. Lots of threads there.
valtosca
AG
Bought a 22KW stand alone unit at Costco and heres what I've learned so far…

First electrician tried to tell me I have to move my gas meter and electric meter to the new construction distancing specs. I call the city and confirm that is not a requirement. The unit just needs to be a minimum 3' from the existing meters.

Being in the city, we will need to get the job permitted. Typically, you can get away with not permitting just about about any home improvement project and renovations but because we're dealing with the electrical supply that has a remotely connected/controlled meter, we're going to need to be in communication with the electrical supplier. If anyone has different knowledge than this, I'm all ears. Would prefer not getting the city involved.

Finally, the unit does nothing when sitting in the garage when the power goes out, haha!
schwack schwack
AG
We have a propane Generac with Kohler motor. Our electrician recommend that model. We've had it a year and no problems. It has been used on several multi-day outages. Love the big pines out here 99% of the time - that other 1% used to suck - but not now. Wish we had done it years ago - if we had, it would have cost at least 25% less.

edit to fix typos & to add that with Starlink, we even have internet now during outages!
CenterHillAg
AG
We have the same model in the same environment, very happy with it. We finished installing it hours before the winter storm kicked off in February '21, being able to live relatively normal during that was great. I paid $7500 for the 22kw plus install, seeing the prices now make me glad we got it when we did.
tjones
AG
What was your install cost and is it propane run?
flashplayer
AG
I ordered a Generac Guardian 26kW propane generator last April and it didn't arrive until about October. Not sure if they're still taking that long on back order or not.

Only problem I've had so far is all 3 factory supplied fuses in the automatic transfer switch panel took turns blowing out the first several days after install. No problems since but it hasn't been that long. Coincidentally, there was an actual power outage about an hour after the electrician got it up and running and it passed that first real test. Called the neighbor to gloat.

My all in cost for the generator and electrician was around $12,500, but I could have saved about $1,000 of that if I'd placed the generator closer to the electrical panel, but for space reasons we chose not to. That was about $7,500 for the generator and auto transfer switch and just under $5K to the electrician ($1K of which was optional).
CenterHillAg
AG
If you're asking me, mine was $7500 total for the generator and install. Propane run, we were able to tie it in to the existing line very easily.
Aggiehunter34
S
We have a 24KW Generac and have had it for a couple years with no issues at all. Bought mine from Lowes with a 10% military discount. We already had a transfer switch installed when we build out house, so I just bought the unit. I tests every Saturday at noon and works like a charm in power outages.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.