Real Estate
Sponsored by

Balancing a Population Surge with a Recession

1,121 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Premium
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Curious to know board thoughts on this matter. I don't want to get into an F16 type debate on whether we are already in a recession , or going into one, or not having one all together but assuming a recession is in our very near future or already here do you guys see the population surge to Texas cushioning the potential blow on housing purchases, rentals, and commercial real estate?

I feel like in a recession commercial space/strip space is the first to suffer the consequences. But so far, in areas like Katy, Richmond, Sugarland commercial space seems to be getting gobbled up pretty quick still. But the other side of that I also feel is that those areas are seeing population surges that might limit the downside of a recession a bit. Wanted to see the boards thoughts.
SteveBott
AG
Your mistake is to assume we are in recession. We are not. So current data you're using is from a positive economy.

By looking at current data we have consistently had positive numbers. Steady job growth, low unemployment, rising wages and very recent reduction in inflation.

Could we end up in recession? Of course. The Fed could overreach or Washington could not agree on the debt limit or a many other possibilities.

As for Houston I'd watch the price of oil. That is the best predictor for the city. Houston has done a great job diversifying the last 40-50 years but the oil patch is still the cornerstone of their economy
jja79
AG
I'm not sure we have job growth and the unemployment rate is affected by the lowest labor participation rate in 45 years.
Ribbed Paultz
The situation screams for investment in large multi family complexes (i.e. apartments)
Premium
AG
They changed the definition of recession already to say we aren't in one. That's all you need to know. But, as you pointed out, we also have the lowest job participation rate.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.