Real Estate
Sponsored by

Storage Bldg/ Property Taxes?

10,188 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by schwack schwack
CS78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone familiar with the details? I've called and emailed Brazos cad with no luck.

Planning to build one from scratch. Approx 180 sq/ft. On skids but fairly nice. Electricity but nothing else. Is this taxable?
JP76
Any improvements are taxable but they may not catch them especially if under trees. I know some who have them and BCAd added and some who have been there years and never were added.

Is this on a residential lot with other structures currently existing ?

Are you in the city limits ?

CS78
Residential city lot.

Any idea what rate they're hit at?
malenurse
AG
Check out the Property Tax Question thread above. Hopeandrealchange built a chicken coop and Brazos County valued it at $218/sq foot
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
agnerd
AG
Sheds on skids are portable buildings and usually aren't taxed. However, adding electricity gets into the grey area. A building with water, sewer and electricity is taxed. For just electricity, if you ghetto up an extension cord, I'd say you're still a portable building. If you wire the shed directly into your panel, you risk getting taxed. Install an RV hookup and plug the shed into that, not taxable.
UmustBKidding
Similar for me $700 metal carport was $6000 metal building but not metal except roof rest osb and sand floor full of. 4h turkeys. The extra 1200 square feet of living space they had in was what hurt. But whatever it is its not bcad fault.
Building on skids and rv plug nearby is not. A permanent structure. But watch your record they randomly add turkey pens as metal buildings without notice
Jason C.
AG
agnerd said:

Sheds on skids are portable buildings and usually aren't taxed. However, adding electricity gets into the grey area. A building with water, sewer and electricity is taxed. For just electricity, if you ghetto up an extension cord, I'd say you're still a portable building. If you wire the shed directly into your panel, you risk getting taxed. Install an RV hookup and plug the shed into that, not taxable.

Bumping this old thread. CAD hitting me for a small Morgan building (wood frame and floor, sheet metal roof and sides. I see this all over the internet but it's just some guy saying it with no supporting language from laws/admin rules. What is your basis for this analysis? Tax Code? CAD appraisal manuals? Does it differ by county? I can't find anything official about electric, water, etc. Would like to base my protest in the language of the applicable law/rules of at all possible and not just "nuh uh".

I would really like to know this because I have other properties affected by this.
schwack schwack
AG
I would imagine it's county by county. Here, on skids it's temporary BUT if it never moves after a year or so, they consider it a permanent structure. Having electricity running to it also makes it permanent here.

edit: You could always ask your CAD, but I'd call from a friend's cell phone to avoid tipping them off. LOL
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.