Real Estate
Sponsored by

Bexar county land development questions

1,752 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Howdy Dammit
BoerneGator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a 26 acre tract in NW Bexar county I'm interested in subdividing. Who must I start with to determine how to proceed. An engineer friend suggested I start with CPS, but the website offers no clues. Thoughts or suggestions are appreciated! I've been down this road before, but can't find my notes. I'd like to avoid the platting process if possible.
UnderoosAg
AG
CPS once upon a time got involved with addressing, but doesn't any more. I'd start with a civil engineer to run the traps for you. I'd also bet you wind up having to have it platted.
BoerneGator
AG
Just got off the phone with Bexar County Dev Office and was advised to get an engineer involved as I will "need to have it platted."

It's funny since I'd already talked to an Engineer who advised me to start with CPS.
UnderoosAg
AG
Haven't worked with them in a while, but Matkin Hoover did a lot of work for us years ago. Good folks who are out your way.
agnerd
AG
Quote:

To be exempt from COUNTY platting requirements, applicant must not lay out streets, alleys, squares, parks, or other parts of the tract intended to be dedicated to public use or for the use of purchasers or owners of lots fronting on or adjacent to the streets, alleys, squares, parks, or other parts, and meet at least one of the following exemptions:

Ag Exemption - The land is used primarily for agricultural use as defined by Section 1-d, Article VIII, Texas Constitution, or for farm, ranch, wildlife management, or timber production use, within the meaning of Section 1-d-1, Article VII, Texas Constitution
Family Exemption - The tract is divided into four or fewer parts and the parts are sold, given, or otherwise transferred to an individual who is related to the owner within the third degree of consanguinity or affinity, as determined under Chapter 573, Government Code
Size Exemption - All of the lots of the subdivision are more than 10 acres in area
Vet Land Board Exemption - All of the lots are sold to veterans through the Veterans' Land Board program
State Exemption - The tract is owned by the state or other state agency, board or commission or owned by the permanent school fund or any other dedicated funds of the state
Political Subdivision Exemption - The owner of the land is a political subdivision of the state, the land is situated in a flood plain, and the lots are sold to adjacent landowners
Buyer Will Subdivide - One new part is to be retained by the owner, and the other new part is to be transferred to another person who will further subdivide the tract subject to the plat approval requirements of these regulations Original Owners - All parts of the tract are transferred to persons who owned an undivided interest in the original tract, and a plat is filed before any further development of any part of the tract. -Bexar County Subdivision Regulations
https://www.bexar.org/DocumentCenter/View/4384/Overview-of-Subdivision-Plats-and-Platting-in-Bexar-County-PDF
BoerneGator
AG
Thanks for the link! It's precisely what I've been needing, but couldn't re-locate it...

Talking to an engineer tomorrow.
normaleagle05
AG
Unless you're going to split 26 acres into fewer than three tracts it's state law that you have to plat it. Bexar, Dallas, Presidio County. Doesn't matter. 10 acres minimum.

You're going to need a surveyor in addition to a civil engineer. Get after finding a surveyor now. We're all pretty booked up.
BoerneGator
AG
Been working closely with the surveyor who surveyed it for me when I bought it 18 years ago. According to my engineer, whom I met with today, it's 80/20 in favor of having to plat it. But I'm going to approach CPS (power company) about delivering service to individual tracts (it's already located along both sides of the property. It really is straightforward and uncomplicated, but dealing with bureaucracies is tedious an$ unpredictable.

Thanks for the various bits of advice and suggestions.
valtosca
AG
Sent you a PM!
BoerneGator
AG
Howdy!
Howdy Dammit
AG
BoerneGator said:

dealing with bureaucracies is tedious an$ unpredictable.

This is why I left land development the second I got my PE. Was a horrible way to make a living getting drug thru the mud everyday. Everyone hates the civil engineer. Holler if you need anymore advice though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.