Real Estate
Sponsored by

Beach house rehab cost??

2,586 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by itsyourboypookie
rlb28
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This beach house is listed for $299,000 and is basically a shell - not all the way down to the studs, but gonna need a full interior makeover.

Curious what the cost would be to make the place whole again? Guesstimates? I think $299,000 is too much for the shape it's in.

It's in a great location in terms of views and walking distance to beach.

12877 Coronado Drive, Freeport
EclipseAg
AG
There are a lot of red flags there.

fka ftc
There have been recent (last couple of years) actions related to the GLO and the Texas Open Beaches Act.

I would familiarize myself with that and involve an attorney familiar the LOV and 200-ft Line determinations and what could happen if the beach continues to erode. You can see in that neighborhood that the beach has eroded over time and probably has resulted a row or two of houses lost over time.

You could try and find old satellite photos of that area to confirm. I would very wary of that location. Oh, and no way that is worth $300k. I would not pay more than lot value for that house and only after confirming my concerns on LOV / 200-ft Line. My 2 cents.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
cab559
AG
What's lot value? Subtract cost to demo down to the ground and there is your offer...
Post removed:
by user
03_Aggie
cab559 said:

What's lot value? Subtract cost to demo down to the ground and there is your offer...

Or just inquire about, what appears to be, one of the many open lots around it.
rlb28
AG
I did find out the owner paid $230,000 for the home Sept. 2020. We are looking for a cheap fixer-upper close to the beach, but I don't think this is the one.
bloom
The house should come with a giant box of $1 bills to pay the $2 toll on the SLP bridge. Four bucks and a line of cars paying the dude (and someone ahead of you will always only have a $100 bill or no cash) if you want to go eat at Nate's. I agree with all of the comments above, and I would add that I would want to have documents stating that work done previously has passed inspection and is insurance. Rules, rules, rules on construction down there.
one MEEN Ag
AG
I don't see a single house built to withstand a real hurricane in those pictures. And you don't want to be on the clock for beach erosion taking your house away.
TikkaShooter
Those photos give me nightmares. That looks like a lifetime of work and deep deep pockets required.
WestGalvestonAggie
I've done it. Tore everything down to the studs and rebuilt it all. Everything. People said I should have torn it down, but these types of houses are generally fairly simple. Generally. If you are at all handy, it can be a lot of fun. If you're not, you maybe don't want to go down that road, especially if the place you're looking at isn't simple. My place turned out great, and I'm absolutely confident it will withstand just about anything short of a category 5 direct hit.
WestGalvestonAggie
WestGalvestonAggie said:

I've done it. Tore everything down to the studs and rebuilt it all. Everything. People said I should have torn it down, but these types of houses are generally fairly simple. Generally. If you are at all handy, it can be a lot of fun. If you're not, you maybe don't want to go down that road, especially if the place you're looking at isn't simple. My place turned out great, and I'm absolutely confident it will withstand just about anything short of a category 5 direct hit.

Just looked at the listing, and my house was worse, but I can tell you the pilings on that house would concern me long term. I'd also want them raised higher, which will be very expensive, and something you absolutely cannot do on your own. The house itself, however, wouldn't bother me very much at all. It's not a cheap rehab though.
rlb28
AG
The houses we've looked at all need to be raised and/or pilings redone. Before covid I think my wife checked with a company out of Galveston and they told her $15,000 to raise the house. Of course, we then heard that you have to get permission to do that and most cities/villages don't want you to do it because you'll block sight/view of homes that were built later.

That's what we are looking for - a rundown place with a good view. This one isn't the one for us, but I really like the location.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
rlb28 said:

This beach house is listed for $299,000 and is basically a shell - not all the way down to the studs, but gonna need a full interior makeover.

Curious what the cost would be to make the place whole again? Guesstimates? I think $299,000 is too much for the shape it's in.

It's in a great location in terms of views and walking distance to beach.

12877 Coronado Drive, Freeport
Honestly might be cheaper if you can just buy a lot and build that from ground up.
rlb28
AG
in regard to that house - probably.

The lots in Treasure Island have increased tremendously. Of course, I'm beating myself up for not buying and building two years ago. Looked at two lots side by side for $118,000. They sold for $250,000 a couple weeks ago.
combat wombat™
AG
Wow, I can't believe someone would buy that place. It's in danger of disappearing into the Gulf during the next hurricane.
combat wombat™
AG
Which is one reason I prefer not to buy ocean property.
itsyourboypookie
$35 a square ft
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.