Real Estate
Sponsored by

Vacant Home

2,170 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Agilaw
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Drove by a home that appeared to be vacant. Notices on the door/window...one from the city, one from the bank. Neighbor came over to see who I was, and he said the house had been empty for about a year.

I look up the owner from appraisal district, and he passed away in January. Only child claims the house doesn't belong to her, yet she had been renting it out (or so said the previous tenants). I called the bank (from the posting on the window) and they show the account as active. They obviously wouldn't give me anymore information.

My question is there a way to figure out who actually owns the home? Can we assume it's the bank? If not, then who? I have to assume the loan (if active) is far less than what the value of the home is...but then of course, maybe there are taxes that haven't been paid in a while? Is there a way to find out if taxes are owed on the home?

Next question, if the daughter does in fact own the home, how could I convince her to sell? She lives in San Antonio and doesn't want to deal with it...but I have to believe selling would be beneficial to her in this market (DFW). Just doesn't make sense to let the home be eventually foreclosed, unless of course that is what has already happened.

Any realtors have suggestions on how to approach her?
12thMan9
AG
It would seem the taxing district is sending tax info somewhere. I know on HCAD(Harris County, Houston) you can also see owner history & also other properties owned by that owner of property in question, if they exist.
Ronnie '88
CS78
You need to try to get more info out of the daughter. If she is the only heir then try to talk her in to signing a contract with you. Take the contract to the title company and they will be able to get you more info and hopefully move forward.
jopatura
AG
I would consider hiring a PI to dig up any possible marriages. She may be renting it out on the side because she has access to it, but can't get rid of a spouse to fully probate the estate. Banks are all screwy with foreclosures because of COVID.
tlepoC
AG
If you want to buy an abandoned house, please go after the one next to me. Abandoned for ten years. In Austin so value had at least quadrupled over that time. Owner shows up once or twice a year to do... Something.

A bit of research shows the guy is a "natural citizen" and apparently doesn't believe in paying taxes resulting in several supreme court cases. That's the only thing that makes sense because his taxes works be substantially more than mortgage.

Not helpful, i know. Cool story.
_lefraud_
AG
From what I've gathered, the daughter probably started playing landlord before her father passed and realized it was too much for her to handle. Spoke with the old tenants and they claim the daughter owes them money (possibly for repairs/deposit??)
Im also guessing the mortgage wasnt being paid, and so after all the "hassle" the daughter decided she would just wipe her hands of it all...claiming the home wasnt left for her, so not her problem.

Im hoping the daughter will claim the property (the bank doesn't seem to be aware the owner has died) and we can work something out after probate.
Gigem_94
AG
County deed records are usually online and fairly easy to figure that out. Or call a title company. But the problem is when the owner dies especially without a will and then has to go through probate, find heirs, etc. A "landman" can be pretty good at figuring these things out.
_lefraud_
AG
Figured out what was owed on the home, but the bank doesn't seem to be aware the owner has died.

Does anyone have any info on assuming the loan? Google says that some loans are not assumable, which makes sense. Can anyone assume the loan, or does it have to be an heir?

Ideally, I would like to assume the loan, and live in the house, fix it up, and then sell it in 6 months or a year.

However, if I assume the loan, I'm not sure I would have the right to actually sell the house...I'm guessing the daughter still has the final say?
Ducks4brkfast
AG
_lefraud_ said:

Figured out what was owed on the home, but the bank doesn't seem to be aware the owner has died.

Does anyone have any info on assuming the loan? Google says that some loans are not assumable, which makes sense. Can anyone assume the loan, or does it have to be an heir?

Ideally, I would like to assume the loan, and live in the house, fix it up, and then sell it in 6 months or a year.

However, if I assume the loan, I'm not sure I would have the right to actually sell the house...I'm guessing the daughter still has the final say?
Yes, the daughter likely owns the house now. All roads will go through her.
Agilaw
AG
If the house/lot has enough value, I would pursue. There are procedures available to potentially avoid the necessity of a probate. Let me know if you'd like to discuss.
_lefraud_
AG
email?
Agilaw
AG
txmdsa@gmx.com
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.