Real Estate
Sponsored by

Budget number for custom home on Lake Conroe

3,234 Views | 15 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by itsyourboypookie
taba82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know building cost are crazy now...

But what is a reasonable cost per sq ft for a ~3500sf, custom build, water front home on Lake Conroe? I already own the land so just looking for a budget number for construction.
jja79
AG
What level of finishes? Outdoor kitchen, pool, boat house, dock? You might get answers all over the board but I think there's really no answer without a lot more detail.
one MEEN Ag
AG
taba82 said:

I know building cost are crazy now...

But what is a reasonable cost per sq ft for a ~3500sf, custom build, water front home on Lake Conroe? I already own the land so just looking for a budget number for construction.
'Forever home' level finishes I assume would be $250 a sq ft. But its going to vary widely. If you want a pool, custom patio, bulkhead and dock those are going to be stupid expensive.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm going through this right now. Already own the land. Factoring in Architect and engineering costs to the mix, I'm currently at just over $267/sq. ft. Project isn't complete yet, so it'll just go up from there. We're in the home strech though, so I'd guess we'll be below $280/sq. ft. once complete.

That being said, my house is small, so I can't spread the costs of big ticket items over 3500 sq. ft.
evan_aggie
AG
We were thinking of getting into the same endeavor, but Austin $/ft doesn't go as far as elsewhere in the state.

What were some of the biggest +$ adders to your total, if you don't mind me asking? Some builders are quoting numbers with $50,000 appliance packages.

I know flooring: wood vs tile vs carpet is a big one of course and kitchen/bath finish-out.

MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
Appliances: $50k is pretty close

Roof: Standing seam, custom color

Cabinets: We used an exotic wood, and wanted a specific grain.

Windows: Those windows you love in architecture photosthey cost a billion dollars. If you broke it down by sq. Ft. Per window, it was around $120 sq./ft.

Wall and ceiling texture: Instead of blowing orange peel up in 3 hours, someone hand scraped mud, and it took a week.

We spray foamed everything, but that might pretty standard these days. Flooring and countertops can get wild, but the things above are what really stuck out to me.
Diggity
AG
vmiaptetr said:

Wall and ceiling texture: Instead of blowing orange peel up in 3 hours, someone hand scraped mud, and it took a week.
in other words, some dude got paid $10 bucks and hour to skim your ceilings and the contractor charged you $10K.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I'm not one to concern myself with another man's profit margin if I am satisfied with the product.
Diggity
AG
Of course. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise.

I'm just amazed at the margins we pay for labor here.
MoreCushing4thePushing
AG
I hear you. I'm not sure how many subdivisions they can go through with an orange peel sprayer in a week, but I knew I'd be paying for the time lost on that. Plus good craftsmanship is becoming a lost art. I'd never be able to do it myself, and the ones who can are getting fewer and farther between.
MAS444
AG
Can you share your builder? Did you hire architect separately or do design build all in one?
pdawg10384
AG
My in-laws have built 2 on lake Conroe and based on what I've heard Morris Builders is the top dog on the lake and probably who you should use.
taba82
AG
pdawg10384 said:

My in-laws have built 2 on lake Conroe and based on what I've heard Morris Builders is the top dog on the lake and probably who you should use.
Did they hire their own architect or did they use Morris as the architect as well?
12thMan9
AG
Wait, where is the land? You said you've had it for a while? I didn't think there was any lakefront left. And I mean TRUE lakefront, not stuff being built down canals. No offense intended, but I just don't consider that lakefront like the realtors do.
Ronnie '88
taba82
AG
12thMan9 said:

Wait, where is the land? You said you've had it for a while? I didn't think there was any lakefront left. And I mean TRUE lakefront, not stuff being built down canals. No offense intended, but I just don't consider that lakefront like the realtors do.
We purchased our lot in Kleimann Estates (just north of FM1097, on the NE side on a peninsula) over 8 years ago. Our lot was 1 of only 2 remaining which were true lake-front lots (our view is of the Sam Houston National Forest)
Mike
Aggie Band '82
TikkaShooter
Wait...do people still want textured walls and ceilings???
itsyourboypookie
Just write a million dollar check, abd pay the rest when they are done.

If you can't do that, it isn't time to build, it's time to work harder
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.