Real Estate
Sponsored by

Property value protest

1,645 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by fka ftc
canadianAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have never protested before but we bought a house and closed December 1. We bought it for ~120k less than the 2020 appraised value. Just got my 2021 value and it only dropped 65k. I assume I just submit some of the closing documents with my protest and it should be pretty cut and dry right?
12thMan9
AG
What county?
Y
I'd be wary if you're in a big county, you may need more than just that unfortunately.
Ronnie '88
canadianAg
AG
A little surprised to hear that. Relatively small county an hour outside of major metro. What else could I provide? Nothing is more representative of fair market value of an asset than an arms length transaction.
dallasiteinsa02
I was in a similar situation. They said that wasn't indicative of the value less than a month later on Jan. 1. Then they said, just because I got a great deal it doesn't affect the appraised value. Had to go all the way to the board that then adjusted it to my purchase price. One year later, they hammered me.
Aggie71013
AG
I used my closing documents as proof of a lower value in Harris County and it worked with no issues at an informal protest. Like the other poster, they've hammered me with 15 - 20% increases every year since.
Ribeye-Rare
AG

Quote:

Like the other poster, they've hammered me with 15 - 20% increases every year since.
Yep. Me too. It seems to be SOP for these guys.

Props to OP for buying something for 120K less than appraised value. Now you can spend your savings on property taxes!
SociallyConditionedAg
AG
Aggie71013 said:

I used my closing documents as proof of a lower value in Harris County and it worked with no issues at an informal protest. Like the other poster, they've hammered me with 15 - 20% increases every year since.

I thought 10% was the max?
Aggie71013
AG
10% is the max for appraised that you will be taxed on, but market can go up more than that. If market is higher than appraised they'll just keep raising appraised every year until they match. If market keeps going up more than 10% appraised will go up 10% forever.
dallasiteinsa02
The 10% cap is only to prevent a massive hit in one year. You still get the massive hit, it just takes a little more time.
I should be studying 11
AG
Question on this.. We just bought a house in October and the 2021 appraisal came in $100k higher than last year. It's less than what we paid (great) but much higher than I was hoping. Homestead 10% cap doesn't apply in this case since we are new owners, right? Only chance is to protest and hope for the best?
Martin Q. Blank
Yes, but you won't have much luck as they likely have your sales price.
agchino
AG
Did you build the house? If so, last year the value was just a vacant lot. But that would probably be a lot more than a 100k jump.
fka ftc
You missed the deadline for apply for HS exemption but can file a delinquent exemption for up to two years.

You do not want to protest an appraised value that is less than purchase price. You certainly are not going to get it lowered and they may be able to raise (extremely rare).

Edited to Add: On our old house the square footage of the house was inexplicably lowered in year 3 of the 15 years we were in the house. House is 2495sf and even after we sold it is still at 2106. Advice from multiple people was to not let them know and use it as a selling point. We did provide an independent confirmation of the square footage to buyer.
"The absence of the word accountability is not the same as wanting no accountability" -unknown

"You can never go wrong by staying silent if there is nothing apt to say" -Walter Isaacson
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.