Real Estate
Sponsored by

Putting House On Market - Wilchester (Houston)

2,702 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texas2000
ceatm07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My wife and I have decided that we want to sell our home in Wilchester. We are zoned to WCE, MMS and SHS.

Inventory under $1.1M is down to 2 homes (2-story) on our side of the neighborhood. We would be the only 1-story at the end of a cul de sac available.

Some friends down the street with an identical floorplan just sold above asking for $333/sf after 6 offers came in the first day.

We have convinced ourselves that we can sell without a seller's agent in this market, but it's going to take some work. We've been letting our Realtor friends know just in case they have clients looking for off market homes before we formally list.

Questions
1) Are there any FSBO issues we should be aware of that you don't always read about?

2) Is there a preferred flat fee MLS listing service?

3) Are there any FSBO tips to move a house quickly or will the market do what it wants?
Sazerac
AG
It will likely get multiple offers by word of mouth assuming you don't totally over price.

But You will get more traffic and offers if you have it on HAR that opening weekend. You can go flat fee, or if you are buying in Houston someone will give you full service for 1% to rep you on the next buy.

Diggity
AG
If you're willing to pay a buyer's agent, I would go the flat fee, MLS route if you want want maximum exposure and cost effectiveness.

This guy has been doing it forever in Houston and is about as inexpensive as they come.

Get on MLS, list mid-to late week and host open houses on Saturday and Sunday. You should get more attention than you can handle.

I'm out of the game, but I assume Clint Simpson still owns that area. Not sure if it's worth reaching out to him to see if he has any buyers, as he may try to rope you into an exclusive listing agreement, but might be worth a shot. You'll end up hearing from him one way or another.

Good luck!

https://listingresults.com/listingplans.php
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
ceatm07 said:

My wife and I have decided that we want to sell our home in Wilchester. We are zoned to WCE, MMS and SHS.

Inventory under $1.1M is down to 2 homes (2-story) on our side of the neighborhood. We would be the only 1-story at the end of a cul de sac available.

Some friends down the street with an identical floorplan just sold above asking for $333/sf after 6 offers came in the first day.

We have convinced ourselves that we can sell without a seller's agent in this market, but it's going to take some work. We've been letting our Realtor friends know just in case they have clients looking for off market homes before we formally list.

Questions
1) Are there any FSBO issues we should be aware of that you don't always read about?

2) Is there a preferred flat fee MLS listing service?

3) Are there any FSBO tips to move a house quickly or will the market do what it wants?
1--The biggest potential pitfall that we see is that most homeowners either underprice or overprice their listing. So most step over a dollar to pick up a penny, or hold their home for months, incurring additional costs (mortgage, taxes, insurance, upkeep, etc.)

The other problem with representing yourself is that if you aren't knowledgeable about the contract and market conventions, the likelihood is that you will get the short end of the stick when the dust settles if the other party has an agent. We almost always get outstanding/unrealistic/incredible deal terms for our clients if the other party doesn't have an agent, or if the other agent is...not good at their job.

2--We've been sponsors on this site for a few years now, and helped hundreds of Aggies buy and sell around the state of Texas. We provide full service brokerage (everything you get from a realtor charging you 3%, and we also aim to do better) for a flat fee. The only thing not included in our service is the cost of photography. And for buyers, we do commission rebates up to 2% at closing. If a seller offers less than 3%, we still keep 1% and rebate you the remaining. (To date, no SFR seller has offered less to one of our clients, but its possible). Oh, and in Houston, we work with a title company that does not charge either party escrow fees, so this saves each person up to $500 compared to other groups.

3--Get good pictures. This is one of our pet peeves, and you can cost yourself thousands of dollars by taking potato-quality pics and not doing your listing justice. Our preferred photographer in Houston charges just $150 for approximately 50 photos that have been cropped and photoshopped to show your home in a professional manner.

If you'd like to discuss, our phone is 832-491-8000, or you can email us at Office@MyRedPear.com. We've worked in your neighborhood and with some of the names mentioned here. Even looked at buying there ourselves but ended up in 77018 in the end.

Good luck with your sale!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jja79
AG
I feel comfortable saying the majority of appraisals I see over sales price are FSBO.
evestor1
Make sure to offer money for buyers agent. The intermediary is usually worth the money.
apoglo12
AG
My wife and I are currently looking in your area. Would love to hear about your house.
Diggity
AG
There's 2 active resale listings in the neighborhood and both seem to just be sitting, so likely nothing worth a crap.

Even including those two, that's about 2 weeks worth of inventory. I don't think there's a huge amount of danger that they sell too low.
ceatm07
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Lots of great info here. We were going to start letting everyone know about our in impending listing next week but our daughters happened to break the news at the bus stop so it spread like wild fire.

We have already fielded a call or two looking to buy off market.

The good news that I left out was that our neighbor is a very well known real estate attorney so once I can get a deal completed I will have contractual support.

Lastly, yes the market in our area is in our favor so we hope to price accordingly without being greedy. It will likely be well over appraisal.
TexCOAg
AG
Also looking in the area. Please PM me with contact info. Thanks
ceatm07
username @ gmail

apoglo12 - I'll respond to your email here in bit.
ceatm07
One other thought as we get closer to selecting a price....

We have Realtor friends that have offered to pull a CMA. However, given that our neighbors down the street just sold a nearly identical floor plan (250sf smaller, but lot size is the same) we feel that we have a benchmark that is just as strong as a CMA. We are now just trying to sort out how to price in and price out the differences between our house and theirs.

When settling in on a price, does total cost or $/sf tend to be more important? Or, is it what I fear..."a little of both"?
Sazerac
AG
For these neighborhoods it's a range based on remodel / upgrades.
BigAg_12
AG
My wife and I live in Wilchester West, love this hood. We used Red Pear on our sale in Garden Oaks prior to moving here, great experience. Good luck! Are you the FSBO on Taylorcrest I saw the other day?
texas2000
AG
We live over in Memorial Plaza, right by RCE. If you end up selling it yourself, I can help you with the contract - no charge. It's not that difficult, but as others have said in this post you can give away some value. I am an investor, and maintain my license for my own properties, but don't market myself as a realtor per se. daveoakland@gmail.com if you need help.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.