Real Estate
Sponsored by

Commercial building valuation in hot market

1,097 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Dr T and the Women
Dr T and the Women
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Ags,

I seek the wisdom of those here that have commercial real estate experience.

I just found a vacant office building on good frontage that would be a good site for my office.

It is about 4800 sq feet and empty. It once had a dental office and a restaurant but empty now (and looks like at least 8m)

They have it priced by my back of the envelope math based on a 5 cap on a phantom full lease.

I am familiar with the NOI valuation but here the NOI is currently negative as it is an empty building.

How should I approach an offer? Austin is booming but like many places the office space has lower occupancy right now
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
flyingaggie12
AG
You would try to get to a stabilized NOI and cap it just like you are doing, and back it up with some similar empty building office comps. Market in Austin is bananas not surprised they are trying to get away with a 5 cap on an empty office building. Is it truly. a NNN lease? What rental rate are you using and how does it compare to submarket? What is the vacancy in the submarket? Are taxes fully assessed?

Send me a DM with the details and I can give you some more info depending on location etc.
aggiejumper
AG
With interest rates so low, sale prices are high; puts buyers at same monthly payment versus lower sales price and higher interest.
Replacement costs are higher too.

I'd talk to your broker, each site has unique characteristics that determine value. Also keep in mind finish outs have gone sky high in the last year, both labor and materials.

I am a commercial broker and can answer questions offline if you'd like. I won't solicit buisness as I don't work the Austin market.
Bitter Old Man
AG
Would you occupy the entire building?
Dr T and the Women
AG
I'm looking more investment.
It is possible I put my side business in a portion
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
213 Grove
AG
5 CAP occupied or not - no way !
Bitter Old Man
AG
Thats pretty aggressive for an empty building. For comparison, the last commercial office deal I was involved in (late 2019) we purchased a much larger building that was 95% occupied on Mopac for a 6.5% Cap.

They are pricing it for a user, which is why I was asking if you would occupy the whole building. Owner-occupied buildings typically trade on per square foot, rather than a proforma cap. You'd need to get some comps of similar buildings to know where the fair price is.

From an investment POV, a 5% Cap would be reserved for a single-tenant NNN building with a long term lease (think walgreens, etc).

Give me a holler if you want to talk more about it. We need to grab lunch again soon.
TxAG#2011
Dr T and the Women said:

I'm looking more investment.
It is possible I put my side business in a portion
Keep in mind you will likely have to offer TI's to lease it up
Dr T and the Women
AG
Bitter Old Man said:

Thats pretty aggressive for an empty building. For comparison, the last commercial office deal I was involved in (late 2019) we purchased a much larger building that was 95% occupied on Mopac for a 6.5% Cap.

They are pricing it for a user, which is why I was asking if you would occupy the whole building. Owner-occupied buildings typically trade on per square foot, rather than a proforma cap. You'd need to get some comps of similar buildings to know where the fair price is.

From an investment POV, a 5% Cap would be reserved for a single-tenant NNN building with a long term lease (think walgreens, etc).

Give me a holler if you want to talk more about it. We need to grab lunch again soon.
For sure

Thanks all for input
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.