Real Estate
Sponsored by

Rental Scam?

1,509 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 04.arch.ag
04.arch.ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a 2/1 that we currently have listed for rent. A couple approached us to rent it from us for the $1100 a month we were asking but have made it known they plan to sublease and list as a short term rental. A lot of things pop in my head at first glance but curious on what their end game would be on a scam. First concern would be insurance as we only have it for long term rental coverage. Secondly would be we could just Airbnb it ourselves but would have to furnish it and not have the guaranteed monthly income from a long term lease. Do they not have enough to purchase their own house so this is a new version of "using other people's money". Also they seem to have a fairly legitimate website with a couple other houses in the area where they are presumably doing the same thing.
schwack schwack
AG
I'd be a hard "NO".
jagvocate
AG
Your lease can forbid sub-leasing. Not a bad clause.

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Your lease can forbid sub-leasing. Not a bad clause.

Ours does.
04.arch.ag
AG
Yeah our leases do specifically forbid subleasing but they aren't tenants at least not yet. They just inquired and let it be know before hand that's what they would be doing. I was more curios about any exposure we would have or if this was a Nigerian prince situation
RockOn
Most residential leases forbid running a business out of the home. I would consider a hotel to be a business.

Hard no.
jagvocate
AG
It sounds like they think the AirBNB rates in the area are high enough over your advertised rent to make it worth their whole.

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
It certainly could be a scam but I don't think it is. This is a strategy that has been advertised in real estate circles in the last few years. It's good for them because they get the benefits of running an AirBNB (potentially outstanding cash flow to the tune of 3x or more compared to traditional rentals) without the drawback of needing equity to buy.

I would take this as an opportunity to think about AirBNB'ing it yourself. The numbers probably make great sense for them to be reaching out to you.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Sooner Born
Like others have said, I don't think it's a scam. But from everything I've read, short term rental properties take an absolute beating. So you have tenants who have a theoretical maximum risk (up to their deposit) who couldn't care less what happens to the property as they can leave when the lease is up. That alone would make it a hard pass from my point of view.
COSciAG
I agree, likely not a scam, especially since they told you what their plan was upfront.

As someone above mentioned, you would definitely need to discuss with you insurance agent to make sure you are covered, and likely require them to carry coverage as well.

May take some time to look at what the AirBnb potential is. Once systems are set up, (cleaning service, keyless locks, etc,) could be a cash cow.
John Francis Donaghy
Why on Earth would you let your property take all the wear and tear of a steady stream of short term renters, while someone else pockets all the profits?
04.arch.ag
AG
I wouldn't say they are pocketing all the profits. At 1100 we cash flow very well for this property. I did a little more digging and Airbnb and Vrbo are going for 90-100 a night in the surrounding area. But most are vacant and able to book any dates within the next 2-3 months. I find it hard to believe I could get it rented on average the 11-15 days a month unless they have another avenue in which they place tenants. Plus I would be out of pocket another couple thousand bucks furnishing the unit. Their website says they place business travelers so maybe they have some connection thru another company that they get sent customers. We had another couple interested as well but it was a little out of their price range. I am convincing my partner that we should just take the 1025 a month and not deal with the extra heartache. Thanks for your feedback everyone
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

I am convincing my partner that we should just take the 1025 a month and not deal with the extra heartache. Thanks for your feedback everyone

Agree with this. We recently took a small reduction for the right tenant & are happy we did.
Aggiemike96
AG
I'd go the other way and seriously look at AirBNB options. Do you have an AirBNB profile already? I started brand new January 2020 and took most of 2020 to get my initial furnishings investment back. For Q1 2021, I'm projecting an annualized 30% return on equity. I already project this as I'm fully booked through April 3 (5 week guest checks in in a few days). I've been booked every single weekend for 15 months. Yes, even during COVID. The biggest hassle, by far, is coordinating house cleaning.
04.arch.ag
AG
Yeah we have 2 other places that we AirBnB and one more getting renovated right now that we are debating long vs short term. but they are in much higher traffic areas. Just don't see this one panning out on a regular basis. Maybe we could get more than the 1000-1100 some months but I doubt it would be regular. Something about bird in the hand
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.