Real Estate
Sponsored by

Tenants & extreme cold weather

2,920 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by RockOn
schwack schwack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are preparing something to send out to all tenants. Anything else we should add? We will put covers on outdoor spigots so they don't have to.

jagvocate
AG
Disconnect water hoses
Wrap outside spigots

COSciAG
Asked tenants to wrap hose bibs last night. Got confirmation back that both would.

Good idea to ask them to keep temp above 60.
schwack schwack
AG
We do the outside spigots for them.

04.arch.ag
AG
I drove by our units to wrap the outside pipes and reiterated the texts we sent them on letting faucets drip. We have one vacant side of a duplex so I went ahead and dropped that kitchen faucet.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

We have one vacant side of a duplex so I went ahead and dropped that kitchen faucet.

We have 2 vacancies right now. We cut the water & drained them. Good idea?

They both have heat on.
04.arch.ag
AG
We would have cut the water but it shares the same service as the other side
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

shares the same service

Got it. Our duplex does too, but went under there the other day (when we discovered the rodent/pex issue) & due to this upcoming weather, we separated them - still on the same meter & one bill that we pay - but now valves to each unit.

edits for typos. hands are cold.
hopeandrealchange
I covered all outside hose bibs. Cleaned out all meter boxes and supplied tenants with wrenches incase of a break upon thaw and showed them how to use them.
Heat no lower than 70. Cabinet doors open. Small space heaters on washer and dryer that have laundry in the garage. Dripping faucets starting tomorrow evening and communicating with me upon loss of electrical service.
RockOn
All my rent houses have been retrofitted with pex water piping... what's the odds I get a bust?
n_touch
RockOn said:

All my rent houses have been retrofitted with pex water piping... what's the odds I get a bust?
Less than with regular piping. Pex will allow for some expansion so that will help.
b0ridi
hopeandrealchange said:

I covered all outside hose bibs. Cleaned out all meter boxes and supplied tenants with wrenches incase of a break upon thaw and showed them how to use them.
Heat no lower than 70. Cabinet doors open. Small space heaters on washer and dryer that have laundry in the garage. Dripping faucets starting tomorrow evening and communicating with me upon loss of electrical service.
Who's paying the utilities?
Aggiemike96
AG
Any issues yet? My SFH in San Antonio seems to have dodged the bullet.
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Any issues yet? My SFH in San Antonio seems to have dodged the bullet.

Not a single one has lost power and water was still dripping - all was good UNTIL yesterday evening: city had to shut off water due to their own equipment issues/failures. Now, not sure what will happen. I had the tenants turn off the main into their properties this morning in case they froze overnight and plan to do a slow re-start when we get water back on. They say there will be water service today, but who knows. We won't be able to get there until probably tomorrow afternoon/Saturday morning because we still have a lot of ice on the roads & expect low teen temps tonight.

One 2-story duplex will be a mess because the downstairs hvac failed. I think our low has been -3 & pipes definitely froze. Upstairs has heat but obviously no water. It's off at the main, only thing to do now is wait.

Glad you got out of this OK.

schwack schwack
AG
Spoke a bit too soon - another property thinks they hear water in the wall behind the shower. They turned the main off but I just got notification from the city that THEY are cutting all service to the city from 9pm till probably noon tomorrow, so we don't have to deal with it until tomorrow. Whew...... I don't even have to feel bad that they don't have water tonight.
RockOn
n_touch said:

RockOn said:

Less than with regular piping. Pex will allow for some expansion so that will help.
hope I dont jinx myself, but it appears all held up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.