Real Estate
Sponsored by

How to stand out as a buyer in this market (DFW)

7,648 Views | 69 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Jay@AgsReward.com
cman1494
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So my fianc and I (25 & 26) are in the market for our first home and in the last couple weeks have gotten pre-approved (I work for a bank, so I get a rate discount on top of the already great rates), hired a realtor, and started looking.

Our current apartment lease is up on 4/19, so we have a bit of time, but wanted to get the process started because of the way the market is. Our realtor is great and has lots of experience, but even she seems a little blindsided by how some of these offers are right now in this market.

Example: we put in an offer on a house this past weekend for 12k over asking price with all the concessions they wanted (lease back, no HOA docs were the big ones), but we were told by the seller's realtor that our offer didn't even come close. Our realtor has told us that buyers are getting reckless because the inventory is so low and they are waiving the appraisal clauses in their offers so even if the house doesn't appraise for what they offer, they will make up the difference in cash. We would rather use our cash on hand for a higher down payment then putting some improvements into the house to build equity rather than being "upside down" as soon as we sign the papers.

Basically, what I'm asking is how do we stand out as buyers? We aren't offering all cash. The houses we are looking at are in the 270k-300k range (like lots of people) and we don't want to just settle for a fixer upper. Do we look at houses in worst school districts at the risk of resale value down the road? For context, we live in DFW and are looking specifically in the I-75 corridor (McKinney, Allen, east Plano, Rowlett, Garland, Wylie, Sachse) because I work in McKinney and she works in Dallas.
East Dallas Ag
AG
Disclaimer: Any suggestions below are hypothetical and should be reviewed with your agent and not intended to be professional advice to your specific situation, please educate yourself on all risks associated with any suggestions below

Regarding your financing - you can be pre-approved and you can be conditionally credit approved, try to get the latter is possible. Also if your bank is a big bank - Wells, BoA etc, they don't have the best reputation of closing deals on time. It might be worth considering going through an independent mortgage lender that are well thought off in the Realtor world, as that's who is going to be advising the seller.

It might help to develop 2 types of searches - 1 that notifies you of new listings - make sure your agent has it set for Coming Soons, and then a 2nd that pulls homes that have been on the market for ~7+ days, that way it highlights which homes aren't being jumped on. These will likely have some sort of flaw(s) but it will help you weigh fighting for the popular houses vs. considering a fixer or poor schools/location.

When you write the offer, structure it to show you are committed to staying in the transaction. If you feel strongly about the house and it appears to be in good condition you can really increase the option money - $500, $1,000 (just make sure you understand the risks from your agent). Have as many inspectors lined up as possible that you can call and get an inspection within 24 hours and ask for the shortest option period as possible 1-3 days (again understand risks). Offer increased earnest money, and again understand risks.

While you don't have to waive appraisal completely you can through the appraisal addendum set an amount you are willing to come out of pocket above the appraised price. Sellers really want to see this.

Submit a letter with your offer tugging at the heart-strings, include a picture of yourselves, have a (legit) story about why you want the house (ex. you have 2 dogs that have only lived in an apt will love playing in the backyard).

You're looking in a broad area but if there are a few specific neighborhoods you really like, you can blanket the are with letters soliciting any potential sellers, make them personal, include a picture and hand-sign them. The homeowners are likely getting boiler-plate letters from investors, they want to see you are a real buyer/end-user. This comes with some caveats - mostly who is going to pay your agent's commission if the seller will not. You'll want to have this worked out beforehand in the event this is how you find a home.
Stan Crowch
AG
https://www.ribbonhome.com/

Basically upgrades your offer to a cash offer and removes financing contingency for a fee.
cman1494
AG
Very helpful, thank you!

Our realtor has a coming soon search for us, but the older listing search is a great idea. I will ask her to do that. Basically what we've been seeing is houses that come on the market on Thursday, accept offers through Sunday, and then are under contract by Monday morning. She is very concerned about resale value, which I'm appreciative of, but anything move-in ready in the good school districts is very hard to get.

About the letter pulling at the heart strings - my fiance and I actually discussed that last night. She's a healthcare worker and has been working in the hospital with Covid patients this whole time, so we're thinking of leaning pretty heavily into that.
ClassicAg18
AG
Thank you for this, I'm in the exact same position as the OP and it's really disheartening looking in this type of market right now
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

have a (legit) story about why you want the house (ex. you have 2 dogs that have only lived in an apt will love playing in the backyard).
Better yet, do research on the sellers and tailor your letter. Maybe they're not dog people, but empty nesters. So you want to say that this home is where you see yourselves raising a family.
Jay@AgsReward.com
Sponsor
AG
Make you offer a cash offer!

This is our program: https://buy-before-you-sell.hurstlending.com/ (and a LOT cheaper then the others) .
The Fife
I'll probably get flamed for it, but to me the market seems unhealthy and it's not a good time to buy. None of us have a crystal ball, but it's feeling a lot like 2007 IMO.
dubi
AG
Any chance you are willing to put in some sweat equity? Paint, fixtures, kitchen counters, etc?

If everyone wants move-in ready you might be able to save lots of money by working on the weekend.
Martin Q. Blank
The Fife said:

I'll probably get flamed for it, but to me the market seems unhealthy and it's not a good time to buy. None of us have a crystal ball, but it's feeling a lot like 2007 IMO.
Did the DFW market ever experience a 2007? It seems like it's been "hot" for over 10 years and people are still moving here.
Buck Compton
AG
Martin Q. Blank said:

The Fife said:

Did the DFW market ever experience a 2007? It seems like it's been "hot" for over 10 years and people are still moving here.
It did. Maybe not to the extent of some other places, but I know a few folks who bought foreclosed and distressed rental houses in 2007-2009 that could sell for 5-6x what they paid. They were getting houses for 40-50k.

That being said, one huge piece of the puzzle that is different today is the limited number of adjustable rate mortgages out there. The adjustable rates were the "trigger", and that's not around today at near what it was during the crash. Not to mention the Fed unhealthily pumping money now.

That's not to say there isn't a bubble--there is, but I don't think it "pops" so much as it fizzles.

As for the OP... it sounds like you're a less extreme version of the people on house hunters. You want great schools, location in the popular and fastest growing suburbs, no need for renovations, and you want it for under $300k. You're going to have to up your price tag if you want a quick close or be fine with some sweat equity and find a house that needs some work. It's easy to paint. Countertops and cabinets are actually pretty easy to do. Light fixtures and ceiling fans are incredibly easy. Some good advice on this thread, but it just comes down to a hot market right now.
Ulrich
Martin Q. Blank said:

The Fife said:

I don't want to be that guy, but 2007 WAS more than 10 years ago.
PoppaB05
AG
I believe the old adage you can have it quick, affordable, or quality but you can only choose 2 of the 3 applies. If you want it soon and on budget you need to be more willing to consider a fixer. If you don't want to do work and you want it now, be willing to overspend. Otherwise, your only option is to wait for that right house to come to you.

Good advice above on the searches and letter. Also, consider researching costs on what it costs to do a rehab on a property. Painting walls, painting cabinets, new counters, even new flooring can be affordable. Replacing AC, foundation issues, new roof, electrical, plumbing, removing walls, new cabinets, reconfiguring kitchens and bathrooms are not. BTW, many people go in thinking they aren't handy and can do nothing to rehab a house and find out it isn't hard.
The Fife
That's about the way I see it, a fizzle more than a huge drop in value. We have stupid amounts of money printing and job losses getting worse the longer the mess going on lasts. Add to whatever happens if the federal minimum wage more than doubles with the unknown effects on spending patterns if a large number of jobs stay at home rather than the office (or even if they will).

It's a complex situation that I won't claim to even halfway understand but my instinct tells me it wont be good.
Pignorant
AG
My wife and I put an offer in on a home in the M streets two weeks ago $30K over list price with 30% down.

We lost to an all cash bid with a higher offer price. Things are insane right now.
Pepper Brooks
AG
What areas of Dallas are you seeing this and at what price point?
“There is no red.
There is no blue.
There is the state.
And there is you.”

“As government expands, Liberty contracts” - R. Reagan
dubi
AG
Quote:

It's a complex situation that I won't claim to even halfway understand but my instinct tells me it wont be good.
Agree.

Overpaying in a housing bubble could be a painful decision.
Medaggie
How can anyone predict that a housing bubble is coming? I heard this same bubble talk for the past 5 years in Austin and it extremely difficult to get anything in a decent part of Austin.

I typically look on zillow once a week around the Austin area just to get a feel for the market and a year ago precovid, there were homes that I believed to be expensive sitting on the market for over a month.

Looking at it this past week shows that essentially every home in a decent area is off the market in 2-3 dys and prices are a good 25% over last year.

In my area in a 2 mile radius, there typically are 5-10 homes on the market at once. Just checked zillow this week and there are ZERO homes active for sale and all the ones you can click on are under contract. This is an area where homes range from 500K-1.2M and going for 250+/sqft.

I am sure there are alot of people kicking themselves for not buying last year when everyone thought the market was overpriced.
cman1494
AG
We are looking on the east side of 75 and around 300k
The Fife
I think it's not sustainable because of how much housing price increases have outpaced inflation and increased wages. Buyers can only pay so much and you can only get so creative with financing. Increasing the percentage of someone's take home pay that goes to housing IMO also increases risk that the buyer will be unable to pay for example in the event of job loss. If you get into a down economy and lots of job loss that could spell trouble.

I know that debt to income is checked upon application but even then it seems like that would hit a stop if prices increase to the point that your pool of qualified buyers diminishes.

That's my thoughts as an engineer anyway, not an economist.
Medaggie
I completely understand but the way congress is printing $$$, giving out stimulus all the time, and now thinking about canceling 10-50K in student loans there will be alot of money going into the market.

Crazy, and there may be a dip, but I don't think you can go wrong with buying a home even right now given lower rates.
ChoppinDs40
AG
People buy payments. Not prices.

With 30yr conventionals in the sub 3s, "prices" are down.

Property taxes are the killer in texas. The state has to be pulling in twice what it was 10 years ago, where is all that going?!

We sold our house in June/July last year. Listed on Friday 7 offers by Sunday. We got letters and "pretty pleases my wife is an at-home pastry chef". Even had some Aggies that were like "OH WE SAW YOUR AGGIE STUFF PLZ CHOOSE us"

Listed the house for 334. Bought in 2015 for 250. We took the mercenary approach and went with the highest offer, even if it was from Pablo Escobar himself. That was 355k with a month close (we wanted) and a free 14 day leaseback. Appraisal clause waived.

I'd also note, when we bought the house in 2015, it was listed on a Friday and we showed up at 3pm. We were about the 20th group in the house. We put a full offer in that day and they took it. Realtor was still getting offers up until the day we closed. Crazy market then. Crazy market now. This was in south plano right in your corridor.

Happy hunting!

PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I might suggest expanding the commute. Celina, Anna, Melissa, Aubrey, etc.
gvine07
AG
It's crazy. We're looking in Prosper and today we were ready to put an offer on a house no contingency $25k over asking. I asked our realtor if he could see if we even had a chance (there was another house we were considering).

He texted us back and said they have a cash offer way higher.
jpd301
AG
I want to know what all these people do for a living that are buying 300-500k houses with cash.

It is 'regular folks' or is it all investment groups buying them and turning them into rentals?

They can't all be coming from California can they?

Are a ton of folks selling houses they have had for 20+ years that they own outright?
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Commiefornia, Colorado, and trustfundterry's.

On a side note, makes me question whether I should list my sub 2,100 sqft Prosper home and rent until market cools and crawl back in
jpd301
AG
Quote:

Property taxes are the killer in texas. The state has to be pulling in twice what it was 10 years ago, where is all that going?!
Recapture / "Excess Local revenue" is where a ton of of the local ISD money goes.

Below is an image of the highest total recapture districts since it was put in place. I highlighted some of the metroplex districts.

Plano ISD, over 800 million dollars of property tax collected by the district over the last 5 years has been sent to districts elsewhere in the state. Think their property tax could be lower if the state didn't take the local $ and ship it elsewhere in the the state?

I can't even image how furious I would be if I lived in Austin ISD.

Sorry for the thread derail.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Dude... imagine how furious the residents of Cotulla are?
rondis23
AG
jpd301 said:

Quote:

Recapture / "Excess Local revenue" is where a ton of of the local ISD money goes.

Below is an image of the highest total recapture districts since it was put in place. I highlighted some of the metroplex districts.

Plano ISD, over 800 million dollars of property tax collected by the district over the last 5 years has been sent to districts elsewhere in the state. Think their property tax could be lower if the state didn't take the local $ and ship it elsewhere in the the state?

I can't even image how furious I would be if I lived in Austin ISD.

Sorry for the thread derail.

How can you find similar graphic like this for a different region in Texas?
jpd301
AG
Quote:

How can you find similar graphic like this for a different region in Texas?
I made that from the data in the excel sheet under the section Notification Status, Partner District Data and Recapture Paid Excess Local Revenue Status toward the bottom of this page.

https://tea.texas.gov/finance-and-grants/state-funding/excess-local-revenue

gvine07
AG
PrestigeWorldwideAg12 said:

Commiefornia, Colorado, and trustfundterry's.

On a side note, makes me question whether I should list my sub 2,100 sqft Prosper home and rent until market cools and crawl back in
Don't sell your sub 2,100 sqft Prosper home - especially to rent! The market hasn't cooled since 2012. In 2012 my wife and I sold our home in Austin and were moving to DFW. Since the market was "hot" we decided to rent for a year to let the market cool down. We ended up paying $40,000 more for comparable houses a year later....

The good school districts are going to keep appreciating like crazy. They can't build streets fast enough...

And there's no reason to think it's a bubble about to pop. In the housing crisis in the Great Recession there were homes sitting empty held by investors - have you seen any of those?

When it's time to move keep your house and rent it out. You'll be able to find awesome tenants as long as the school district remains elite.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
I'm not... was just make a stupid statement because of where our market has gone. We'd like to upsize BUT I don't have that kind of scratch right now
ChoppinDs40
AG
Never seen a woman named Celina. (Seh-LINE-uh)
cman1494
AG
Update for those of y'all that are curious: we are officially under contract on a house!

Our realtor advised us to raise our budget a bit and expand our search, which was great advice that many of y'all on here echoed. We originally weren't looking at anything over $300k, but she told us that if we raised our budget by $15-$20k, we would be competing with different people because there are a lot of people who only qualify for up to $300k and they cannot go above that.

So over the weekend we started targeting houses it that $300k-$315k range and found this great one that's fully updated and move-in ready in Rockwall right by the lake. We went and looked on Sunday and found out they only had one other offer so far despite having been on the market since Friday. This house is a very unique style but it's one we love. It's updated in farmhouse style, like something Chip and Joanna Gaines would have done. Maybe that was a turnoff for some people, but we love it.

We put our offer in at $310k when the house was listed at $315k but made our terms super attractive. We waived the option period and inspection all together because the house was just inspected 7 months ago before the current owners purchased it. They bought the house, put on a new roof, fence, and floors then got relocated for work, so are selling after doing all these awesome updates. Because of how recently they did updates and got an inspection, plus the condition of the house itself, our realtor felt confident in us waiving the option period. We also offered a 1 month lease back after close, and waived the appraisal up to a $15k difference. They countered with saying they wanted $305k no matter what it appraises for, so we accepted the counter and have a contract on it for $305k.

We feel very relieved and excited! We are getting our own inspection of course, but don't expect major issues to come up. Closing will be in about a month.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.